Should our players take team friendly deals?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the long read. There's alot to unpack. I agree with everything you're saying. Hell, even Daniel Jones got a stupid deal last year. We're looking at a runaway train at the position with media money coming in at record rates. It's almost to the point where building a juggernaut and throwing darts at QB is the most viable option (See SF and Purdy). Does it make more sense to spend 25% of your cap on one guy, or redistribute $60m across the roster and hope you have a good bus driver?

The way I see it, Dak has been disappointing in the post season, but he's done well to get us there consistently. I love regular season Dak, but we need a complete team to really compete if he's going to be the guy. He's the best bus driver in the league, but he's being paid like a CEO. You expect the player to play up to his pay grade, but we just aren't getting it when it matters. How do we remedy this? By bringing in players to fix the deficiencies in the trenches. To establish the run game and force one dimensional offenses on the other side, allowing the pass rush to feast. How do we do that? We can't if we're paying CEO money to a great bus driver.
Catch-22

So what's the plan? We can't win it all without the right pieces, and we can't get the right pieces without the cash to do it. Do we continue down the same road, pay the bus driver even more money, and hope to catch lightning in a bottle, despite needing to address multiple holes at starting positions? Or do we reallocate funds to build a dominate defense and ground game, and find a journeyman?

I can't help but wonder what a guy like Baker Mayfield would look like with a star on his helmet. Good bus driver, relatively affordable, never had the talent we have here, and similar postseason success as Dak with the Browns and a shell of the Bucs. After leaving the Browns, he found success on a bad Rams team, and took the Bucs further in the playoffs than Tom Brady did the year prior.

Michael Penix Jr could easily be there at 24, and there are several good QBs throughout this draft class. If I'm Jerry Jones, I try to be a voice of reason with Dak, not his agent. If there's no reasoning to be found, I tell Dak to shove his $60m contract you know where, draft a guy high, and let Dak ride out the last year of his contract. If he succeeds, pay him what he wants. If not, roll with the young guy and/or Trey Lance if he shows progress.

Is it worse to fail epicly by trying to make a move that gets you closer to a championship, or fail marginally by doing nothing?
Even if Jerry gets Dak to sign an extension it will start in 2025. Dak’s compensation for 2024 will remain $34 million. Baker Mayfield wants north of $34 million for 2024. Expensive bus driver. No relief for this season. Dak is smart enough to use his agent for what he’s paying him for. He isn’t going to talk contract sans France.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Even if Jerry gets Dak to sign an extension it will start in 2025. Dak’s compensation for 2024 will remain $34 million. Baker Mayfield wants north of $34 million for 2024. Expensive bus driver. No relief for this season. Dak is smart enough to use his agent for what he’s paying him for. He isn’t going to talk contract sans France.
Mayfield is a pipe dream. I know we aren't in a position to add another high dollar QB. Only using him as an example because I'm familiar with his situation. Lifelong OU fan. Love the guy. Hope he ends up back with the Bucs. Seems to be a great fit. Still though, if we're talking bus drivers, I'd rather pay one $35m/year, rather than $60m/year. Especially if he agreed to a long term deal, which I believe Mayfield has earned.

I've spent a good amount of time in negotiations in previous ventures. Never multi-million dollar contracts, but even six figure deals can get heated. Much of the time, you have a negotiator and a client. You spend most of the time talking to the negotiator, but occasionally, you can find a weak spot and dig in directly towards the client, even while the negotiator is present. If the client wants something enough, they will override the negotiator and make an emotional decision. If Dak wants to win championships, he knows what he needs to do. It's simply a matter of getting through to him and helping him understand the pro's and con's of each position.

Yes, he could sign a record breaking contract, either here or elsewhere. He'd be the richest player in the NFL and would have even more money that he wouldnt know what to do with...but what will he be left with? A patchwork offensive line that could end his career early? A defense that will force him to win games more often than not? No running game, limited options at WR, etc etc....

Or he could sign a team friendly deal that will allow the front office to build a beast around him. He can get that new center and left tackle to keep his jersey clean. He wouldn't have to worry about whether Lamb will be here moving forward. The team could fill the gaps on the defense and take a load of pressure off of him....but most importantly, it would allow him to win back the locker room. He could walk into the building and tell the guys look, I know my strengths and weaknesses. I did this for you guys. This is what I need you to do.

At the end of the day it's his call. I'd love to have him back for the foreseeable future, but I'd rather take the hit this year than make a decision that will hurt the franchise for the next half decade. I hope they figure it out, but I'd rather be in QB limbo than repeat the same disappointing results we've seen for the last x years.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Mayfield is a pipe dream. I know we aren't in a position to add another high dollar QB. Only using him as an example because I'm familiar with his situation. Lifelong OU fan. Love the guy. Hope he ends up back with the Bucs. Seems to be a great fit. Still though, if we're talking bus drivers, I'd rather pay one $35m/year, rather than $60m/year. Especially if he agreed to a long term deal, which I believe Mayfield has earned.

I've spent a good amount of time in negotiations in previous ventures. Never multi-million dollar contracts, but even six figure deals can get heated. Much of the time, you have a negotiator and a client. You spend most of the time talking to the negotiator, but occasionally, you can find a weak spot and dig in directly towards the client, even while the negotiator is present. If the client wants something enough, they will override the negotiator and make an emotional decision. If Dak wants to win championships, he knows what he needs to do. It's simply a matter of getting through to him and helping him understand the pro's and con's of each position.

Yes, he could sign a record breaking contract, either here or elsewhere. He'd be the richest player in the NFL and would have even more money that he wouldnt know what to do with...but what will he be left with? A patchwork offensive line that could end his career early? A defense that will force him to win games more often than not? No running game, limited options at WR, etc etc....

Or he could sign a team friendly deal that will allow the front office to build a beast around him. He can get that new center and left tackle to keep his jersey clean. He wouldn't have to worry about whether Lamb will be here moving forward. The team could fill the gaps on the defense and take a load of pressure off of him....but most importantly, it would allow him to win back the locker room. He could walk into the building and tell the guys look, I know my strengths and weaknesses. I did this for you guys. This is what I need you to do.

At the end of the day it's his call. I'd love to have him back for the foreseeable future, but I'd rather take the hit this year than make a decision that will hurt the franchise for the next half decade. I hope they figure it out, but I'd rather be in QB limbo than repeat the same disappointing results we've seen for the last x years.
Whiskey...I consider myself a pretty reasonable guy...If I am in Daks shoes I will take a hair-cut for the team...but how much of one is muddy subject.

Assuming this is all real, lets say Dak took 45M per for 4 years instead of 60M per. Thats 15M per year you are leaving on the table. 15M x 4 years = 60M.

Im sitting here thinking, if I am an agent the easiest way I would explain to a client to never ever take a discount is to tell the client "60M is 60M you dont have to invest and set your family up further. 60M is a lot of room to make some bad investments and hopefully have one of them turn into a very nice return".

And for that reason...which I hadnt really thought of before...I dont know if I am taking too much of a discount if I know I can get more on the open market. In the above case...think about how many investments you could make in real estate, with enough money to eat some bad investments.

A trophy and to be written in football history is cool...but having to not worry about your financial situation EXPONENTIALLY increases your standard of living. When millions of dollars are at stake...youre talking about serious cash that can keep financial worries and stress away from your family for long periods of time assuming the person is prude with their money. I understand why these guys go after what they can...and I am sure agents are all in their ear about it, too.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
What endorsement deals? Who created this myth? And what do endorsement deals have to do with a player wanting to be paid what his peers are paid?
Seriously, are you really that blind/naive ?Tons of players either sign endorsement deals, or end up forming their own businesses that would have been harder to start if not for being a Cowboy ie Jaylon Smith with Clear Eye View. Started his own brand because of the Cowboys. So yes it matters to be here. We are the #1 brand in all of sports, more eyes watching, more money. Players definitely have an advantage being a Cowboy in regards to making money off the field. You're nuts if you think otherwise. Do ALL Cowboys players capitalize on this? No, but if they are smart they do.
No state income tax ever factors in. Most Cowboys don't get endorsement deals
Jesus, another blind one. Look at when Tyreek was signing. He was choosing between Jets, and Miami. Jets offered more, but have income tax. He chose less money with no income tax in Florida. IT MATTERS. This is millions of dollars they could lose to income tax, if you think they don't take that into consideration again ya'll are just ignorant.

Hardline

Reaction score
Seriously, are you really that blind/naive ?Tons of players either sign endorsement deals, or end up forming their own businesses that would have been harder to start if not for being a Cowboy ie Jaylon Smith with Clear Eye View. Started his own brand because of the Cowboys. So yes it matters to be here. We are the #1 brand in all of sports, more eyes watching, more money. Players definitely have an advantage being a Cowboy in regards to making money off the field. You're nuts if you think otherwise. Do ALL Cowboys players capitalize on this? No, but if they are smart they do.

Jesus, another blind one. Look at when Tyreek was signing. He was choosing between Jets, and Miami. Jets offered more, but have income tax. He chose less money with no income tax in Florida. IT MATTERS. This is millions of dollars they could lose to income tax, if you think they don't take that into consideration again ya'll are just ignorant.
I'll let others debunk this. I'm not typing a long response on my phone.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

Dak will be there for his teammates this season with or without an extension. He knows his teammates strengths and weaknesses as well as his own. No member of the Dallas Cowboys played a greater role in what success the Cowboys had last season. He, his teammates, and Jerry Jones know that too. If the “locker room” doesn’t appreciate him he should want to leave. When Jerry Jones decides what he wants to do in deference to Dak Prescott he’ll initiate contract talks. Jerry knows about what it is going to cost. Jerry may be dumb, but he’s not stupid. Dak is not going to come cheap. Nor should he. One thing for sure, Dak Prescott is a better NFL quarterback than Jerry Jones is an NFL General Manager. A blind man can see that.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is it smart for these players to take less money, when this team has an issue with spending in free agency? I mean they're saving money to do nothing, can someone please make it make sense??

You'd think as cheap as we can be in our spending, we were saving up to make a big move. The big move for us, is our current players being taken care of with new deals!

Can we get rid of the "insanity" and make some moves with this money. There's talk of creating all this cap space, but what good is it if we don't bring substantial help from the outside. Please discuss!!!
Like an economy, you cannot run a football team on altruism.

Management needs to know how to better manage their resources. Every other team in the league deals with the same things. The Cowboys are not special snowflakes.

Our genius front office needs to understand when and where to allocate their cap space. Sometimes always resigning your guys for market resetting deals is not the way to go.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Whiskey...I consider myself a pretty reasonable guy...If I am in Daks shoes I will take a hair-cut for the team...but how much of one is muddy subject.

Assuming this is all real, lets say Dak took 45M per for 4 years instead of 60M per. Thats 15M per year you are leaving on the table. 15M x 4 years = 60M.

Im sitting here thinking, if I am an agent the easiest way I would explain to a client to never ever take a discount is to tell the client "60M is 60M you dont have to invest and set your family up further. 60M is a lot of room to make some bad investments and hopefully have one of them turn into a very nice return".

And for that reason...which I hadnt really thought of before...I dont know if I am taking too much of a discount if I know I can get more on the open market. In the above case...think about how many investments you could make in real estate, with enough money to eat some bad investments.

A trophy and to be written in football history is cool...but having to not worry about your financial situation EXPONENTIALLY increases your standard of living. When millions of dollars are at stake...youre talking about serious cash that can keep financial worries and stress away from your family for long periods of time assuming the person is prude with their money. I understand why these guys go after what they can...and I am sure agents are all in their ear about it, too.
I hear ya, and don't disagree with your reasoning by any means. If he isn't already set for generations, he's severely mismanaged his money, but that's neither here nor there. He's entitled to a massive paycheck. The market may dictate that he's earned it, regardless of how absurd the market is. He'd be crazy to leave money on the table. Does the price of immortality outweigh a bunch of money? I say yes, but I'm not Dak. The great ones have a drive to win at all costs. Does Dak want to be a great one, or really rich? It's his call, but I hope we don't blow our brains out to keep him because of familiarity and stability.

We know what he is and isn't. We know what he's able to accomplish, and his shortcomings in the post season. We've gone 30 years without even sniffing a conference championship. He can absolutely be the guy to snap that streak, but he won't do it taking up a massive percentage of the salary cap, and that's my point. That's why you have to ask him to leave money on the table. If he doesn't take it, no hard feelings. Still love the guy and by the grace of god I hope he wins a championship. elsewhere. Regardless, signing him to a record extension does nothing to move the needle, and if anything, it sets us back 5 years.

We don't have to have Dak moving forward to maintain success. If we strike gold on a young guy, and there are a few in this draft, this team is built to win. Supplementing the roster with the ~$50m worth of savings amplifies those chances dramatically. If we fail, at least we didn't accept mediocrity.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I hear ya, and don't disagree with your reasoning by any means. If he isn't already set for generations, he's severely mismanaged his money, but that's neither here nor there. He's entitled to a massive paycheck. The market may dictate that he's earned it, regardless of how absurd the market is. He'd be crazy to leave money on the table. Does the price of immortality outweigh a bunch of money? I say yes, but I'm not Dak. The great ones have a drive to win at all costs. Does Dak want to be a great one, or really rich? It's his call, but I hope we don't blow our brains out to keep him because of familiarity and stability.

We know what he is and isn't. We know what he's able to accomplish, and his shortcomings in the post season. We've gone 30 years without even sniffing a conference championship. He can absolutely be the guy to snap that streak, but he won't do it taking up a massive percentage of the salary cap, and that's my point. That's why you have to ask him to leave money on the table. If he doesn't take it, no hard feelings. Still love the guy and by the grace of god I hope he wins a championship. elsewhere. Regardless, signing him to a record extension does nothing to move the needle, and if anything, it sets us back 5 years.

We don't have to have Dak moving forward to maintain success. If we strike gold on a young guy, and there are a few in this draft, this team is built to win. Supplementing the roster with the ~$50m worth of savings amplifies those chances dramatically. If we fail, at least we didn't accept mediocrity.
I get it.

Trailblazing in regards to QB seems to be gaining momentum.

It makes sense. But I am of the opinion that its an "easier said than done" kinda thing.

Now, if there is some kind of deal where coaches are currently thinking they can dumb down offenses enough for rooks and QB's on rook contracts to be successful and beat elite defenses...then its worth a go. Are we so sure that coaches and consultants arent telling Owners and GM's that these young QB's arent good enough to beat elite NFL defenses yet? Think about every team adopting the rook contract QB approach and all defenses are stacked...are you not paying your "not won anything yet" young QB because he cant beat intricate defenses yet? You are going to let a promising guy walk to Philly, Washington or New York because he hasnt shown Mahommes like tendencies or won it all?

Where do you draw the line money wise on a very promising young QB who just played for 3 years for cheap but hasnt won a thing....but can walk to any team and get paid bookoo's? Where is that line drawn?

Every NFL owner and GM is going to have to forfeit seasons until they conditioned the QB market...which could take years to devalue. I just dont think owners who feel they are a QB away are going to hold steady and not pay Brock Purdy what he wants if he was gettable. And thats the problem and why prices for QB's are highly inflated. Every Owner and GM would have to have a "you havent won a Super Bowl so I cant pay you more than 14% of cap" policy and all of them would have to prove by example that they are sticking to this for the position to be devalued.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
Honestly no. That’s only reserved for the teams in the upper echelon of success where players have tangible reasons to take less because there’s an actual legacy to be made. Nobody is winning anything here so might as well get your money

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Another forgettable answer. One of the worst front offices in the NFL is all of a sudden going to build a beast? Yeah right.

How many of you guys would take a paycut so the worst manager in your corporation could reallocate the funds?

Croomraider

Reaction score
Left Tackle and QB make almost 5 times the amount compared to all other positions. This is on average in terms of positional spending.
These two positions are key to taking team friendly deals and getting better players around
you.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Left Tackle and QB make almost 5 times the amount compared to all other positions. This is on average in terms of positional spending.
These two positions are key to taking team friendly deals and getting better players around
you.
No one wants to take a team friendly deal...and rightfully so.

Attack them for doing what you would do.

The World wants to scrape you of everything it can...but attacks players for getting theirs. Sounds conflicting to reasonable beings.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys may be able to bring back star running back Tony Pollard on a bit of a hometown discount. With NFL free agency set to begin on March 11, 2024, The Dallas Morning News’ Calvin Watkins reported that Pollard is open to returning to the Cowboys, even if he commands a “slightly higher” offer elsewhere.

“A person with knowledge of Pollard’s thinking told The Dallas Morning News the former fourth-round pick is open to returning, even if the contract from another team is slightly higher than the Cowboys’ offer,” Watkins wrote in a March 6, 2024 story titled, “Tony Pollard open to taking less for Cowboys return, will test free agency market.”

“A team official, who spoke to The News on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of contract talks, expects Pollard to get as many offers as possible before talking to Dallas.”

Boysdaboys

Reaction score
Should they? No. It's not their job to ensure the organization has cap space. Of my boss came to me and offered me a 30k raise, I'm not going to reject it because some of my other colleagues won't be able to stay around.

LysleE

Reaction score
Why should a player take less money because the FO has done a puss poor job managing the salary cap? It would be nice to think that players would be willing to take a team friendly deal, but if they performed up to their contract they expect to be paid. There are exceptions like Brady and Mahomes, whose contracts were such that taking a bit less made no material impact to their finances.
In the real world, would we be willing to take a “company friendly” deal when we worked our ***** off, so that the company could cobble together some money so that they could pay others?
Nice thought but not a realistic expectation.