Should our players take team friendly deals?

GMO415

Reaction score
Save money just for another early playoff exit?

Sjoseph316

Reaction score
they don’t care enough about winning to take team friendly deals, Jerry leads by example that it’s all about $$$

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Everybody wanting players to take "team friendly" deals hasn't paid attention to how this team has approached free agency the past decade.

The Cowboys could save all the money in the world if Dak comes back cheap. But even when this team has money to spend they sit on it. They did even when Dak was here cheap for four years.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Many people think Jerry cares about money over winning. I guarantee many more players, and not just on this team, care more about money than winning. I imagine there is a sizable percentage of players who only play for the money. That being said, none of them are taking a team friendly deal.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Loyalty is a two-way street or it's nothing. If players are doing a favor for ownership like that, ownership needs to be willing to make sacrifices and do favors for them.

Jerry is uncommonly loyal to his own players - just recently, he paid Gallup big money after Gallup blew his ACL, and he kept Zeke around on a big deal until the end of the line. But there have been enough Dalton Schultz and Tony Pollard type hardballs where I wouldn't just trust that Jerry 100% has my back.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Is it smart for these players to take less money, when this team has an issue with spending in free agency? I mean they're saving money to do nothing, can someone please make it make sense??

You'd think as cheap as we can be in our spending, we were saving up to make a big move. The big move for us, is our current players being taken care of with new deals!

Can we get rid of the "insanity" and make some moves with this money. There's talk of creating all this cap space, but what good is it if we don't bring substantial help from the outside. Please discuss!!!
lets see... qb is getting an extension, Parsons is going to get a record deal, Lamb is about to break the bank.... and you call that nothing? Diggs got paid last year also.... when you draft well, you pay Big bucks to those players also.

So you want to let Lamb go and go sign who? Let Pason's walk and sign Jones??????? sure, sounds like a sure SB.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Simple answer.....No! Is that the popular answer? no! Doesn't change anything.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Can I get a discount on my burger and beer at the stadium?

And that there folks tells you everything you need to know about player vs owner and money/contracts.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
"get that money boi" I hope they all do. They are plenty of high school guys who could coach and play for us.

Swagger

Reaction score
I don't subscribe to offering a team friendly deal but to offer what each player is actually worth in comparison to their peers in the same position. If the player rejects the offer then blow your nose and move on.

The brainless suggestion that the Cowboys should offer Prescott $60 million a year because "that's the market" is a complete nonsense. Teams that adhere to that policy do not win Superbowls...so don't do it!

FanofJerry

Reaction score
We are not mad at the players. Or at least I am not. I do have a problem with players holding out (and that includes Emmitt) because one should honor a contract. But when your whole income relies on your body that is getting crushed every day throughout your whole career then you have to get everything you can out of the system as long as it lasts.

Nah, I'm mad at the FO for dishing out stupid deals and not being able to build a Superbowl winning squad for almost three decades now.

I never held Dak's salary against him. I hold the FO accountable for giving him that stupid contract and hanging on to him even though he has proven time and time again that he can't perform when it really matters.
Problem with your assessment is that there are 30+ teams in the NFL with a majority of those having GM's that have to produce or risk their job.

Going further with the above...most owners and GM's already are conditioned to QB market prices and its hit, percentage wise, against the cap.

Going even further...all the posters claiming they would trailblaze would throw top dollar at an average QB if they were a real GM with a real job to lose if he didnt make Playoffs. The scenario is you are the GM, you have a very solid team but is missing a QB. That there is the reason prices are so high and why, imo, most of the ant-pay QB posters would flip flop on their ideals if they were in the above scenario. Another scenario is how bad you look if you let a QB like Dak go and he goes to a rival and beats you twice a year and goes to playoffs or Super Bowl.

Everyone wants to avoid talking about these pressures that real GM's have...even Jerry who cant lose his job. There is also pressure from the locker room to get a bus driver so years of other players careers arent wasted.

TL;DR - I think most posters would contradict their anti-pay QB stance if they were GM's

Maybe we are about to enter a period of football with dumbed down offenses that can work with rookie contract QB's while the money goes to every other position. Odd how the hardest position in sports is getting devalued

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I don't subscribe to offering a team friendly deal but to offer what each player is actually worth in comparison to their peers in the same position. If the player rejects the offer then blow your nose and move on.

The brainless suggestion that the Cowboys should offer Prescott $60 million a year because "that's the market" is a complete nonsense. Teams that adhere to that policy do not win Superbowls...so don't do it!
What is a QB worth who is a high level bus driver but cant win playoff games worth? And how does Dak and his agent present their case during negotiations and how do the Jones'?

Seems like there is a lot of inside info, such has losses being on coaching game plan, that we dont have access to and can only speculate on. Example:

Jones' say Dak is only beating average teams. Dak says film shows he is hitting receivers when right play is called. Dak claims playoff game plan was whack and losses should be on him.

I know negotiations dont play out like that...but how do you present your case to Dak that he is only worth 50M per considering cap inflation and relative to other QB contracts now and in 3 years?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
There's 2 ways to look at contracts:

ALL players should take team friendly deals so they can sign the best players and give the team the best chance to win a Super Bowl
OR
ALL players should work hard and earn as much as they can because their physical issues/ailments will last longer than their careers.

1942willys

Reaction score
What is a QB worth who is a high level bus driver but cant win playoff games worth? And how does Dak and his agent present their case during negotiations and how do the Jones'?

Seems like there is a lot of inside info, such has losses being on coaching game plan, that we dont have access to and can only speculate on. Example:

Jones' say Dak is only beating average teams. Dak says film shows he is hitting receivers when right play is called. Dak claims playoff game plan was whack and losses should be on him.

I know negotiations dont play out like that...but how do you present your case to Dak that he is only worth 50M per considering cap inflation and relative to other QB contracts now and in 3 years?
Show game film of the first half of the GB game with every play on the offense

JBS

Reaction score
Is it smart for these players to take less money, when this team has an issue with spending in free agency? I mean they're saving money to do nothing, can someone please make it make sense??

You'd think as cheap as we can be in our spending, we were saving up to make a big move. The big move for us, is our current players being taken care of with new deals!

Can we get rid of the "insanity" and make some moves with this money. There's talk of creating all this cap space, but what good is it if we don't bring substantial help from the outside. Please discuss!!!
Why would anyone take a team friendly deal for any team? No. The answer is no.

Chasing6

Reaction score

For what? To continue to be mismanaged and lose.

Should we all pay more taxes?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

Of course, refusing to pay for what you believe you need is less than prudent. The very moment Jerry Jones believes he has a viable alternative to Dak Prescott he will move on. And he’ll have no regrets.