Should QB's be limited how much they make?

uvaballa

Reaction score
I don't think I agree here. I mean, all rookies get slotted so this is not something that is unique to the QB, as we all know. QBs do make too much money and that's just the truth. Most of these QBs are not worth what they are making but it's supply and demand so they get paid. The problem is bigger then that thou. The problem is that QB salaries are breaking down the competitive aspects of the game because of how the cap works. Do you go for the big time QB who can do amazing things on the field and sacrifice your ability to put together a team that can win or do you go with a less gifted QB who is not as interesting and surround him with better players? Something is wrong if you can't financially be able to do both IMO.
Many QBs are overpaid but other positions are too. QBs are also over drafted because the bad teams want a face to their franchise.

But what about the guys who are underpaid? Fans aren’t all up in arms about that. So when their time comes they get paid for what they’ve done and what teams expect them to do in the future.

Personally I prefer to have a good QB for less money than a great QB who wants top dollar. Build up a good team around them and they’ll be fine.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
First off you need to do some research. There are differences between a union and an association. If there wasn't the players wouldn't have gone through all the motions of decertifying their union. For them they felt it was more advantageous to become an association, but there are differences. Second if you look at my previous comments, even to others you'll see that I said that no change to the CURRENT CBA could be done without both parties agreeing. I don't know where you got that I said that the current CBA could just be changed. I've also said there is less than zero chances that any of the changes that some here are suggesting, the position cap or excluding QB's contracts would ever be agreed upon for changes in this CBA or becoming part of the next CBA. Lastly any discussion having to do with the money available to players has everything to do with the current CBA and what the CBA calls for on that issue.

OK man, yeah, what you propose is earth shattering and nobody has ever heard of it before. Whatever.

The discussion in this thead is not the Union. All of this just sidetracks the actual thread but please, carry on.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
NFL owners want to win, they have egos. I don't see this as realistic. JMO

To the ultra wealthy like NFL owners the game they want to win the most is the money game. The owners will sooner or later see than over paying QB's at the cost of having a more balanced team will ultimately hurt them money wise. You say how? Well when a team does better the owner can then more easily justify increase in ticket prices because when a team is more balanced it has a better chance of winning so those tickets will be in more of a demand. Then when they are winning the owners will make more on NFL properties so again more money. When a team is winning the fans want to get more than just jerseys, they want those beer mugs with the team logo on it or the grill with the team logo on it or shirts or jackets whatever. When a team is losing people don't buy a lot of the NFL merchandise but they do when they are winning. So there will be an owner that will say instead of over paying his QB he'll go with a cheaper one and be able to get more talent around him and start winning that will increase his profits and then another will do it and a trend will start to curb those QB contracts for the larger good.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Many QBs are overpaid but other positions are too. QBs are also over drafted because the bad teams want a face to their franchise.

But what about the guys who are underpaid? Fans aren’t all up in arms about that. So when their time comes they get paid for what they’ve done and what teams expect them to do in the future.

Personally I prefer to have a good QB for less money than a great QB who wants top dollar. Build up a good team around them and they’ll be fine.

Players getting underpaid is a fact of life in the game. It's just how pro sports works. I mean, in comparison, they still make much more then normal people in the work force.

The health of the game is really the more important thing here, IMO. I don't think the game can sustain if we don't change the dynamics a bit. But that's just my opinion.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
QB is a premium position. Why should they be limited. You just don't wanna pay Dak the premium. Just say it.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
OK man, yeah, what you propose is earth shattering and nobody has ever heard of it before. Whatever.

The discussion in this thead is not the Union. All of this just sidetracks the actual thread but please, carry on.

You may have not heard that the players decertified their union and became an association but don't say nobody else heard and knows about that. Here's a hint. They are NFLPA which is national football league players ASSOCIATION.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To the ultra wealthy like NFL owners the game they want to win the most is the money game. The owners will sooner or later see than over paying QB's at the cost of having a more balanced team will ultimately hurt them money wise. You say how? Well when a team does better the owner can then more easily justify increase in ticket prices because when a team is more balanced it has a better chance of winning so those tickets will be in more of a demand. Then when they are winning the owners will make more on NFL properties so again more money. When a team is winning the fans want to get more than just jerseys, they want those beer mugs with the team logo on it or the grill with the team logo on it or shirts or jackets whatever. When a team is losing people don't buy a lot of the NFL merchandise but they do when they are winning. So there will be an owner that will say instead of over paying his QB he'll go with a cheaper one and be able to get more talent around him and start winning that will increase his profits and then another will do it and a trend will start to curb those QB contracts for the larger good.

Stop already. I didn't ask how. This really isn't even educational. You have to understand, you are relatively new here. These conversations have been going on for a very long time on this board.

I don't think the answer is collusion but I guess we'll see.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You may have not heard that the players decertified their union and became an association but don't say nobody else heard and knows about that. Here's a hint. They are NFLPA which is national football league players ASSOCIATION.

Stop already, please. It's a union, regardless of what you want to call it. I mean, is this what you wanna discuss?

If so, find somebody else, this is not worthy of discussion IMO.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
QB is a premium position. Why should they be limited. You just don't wanna pay Dak the premium. Just say it.

Lets just say for argument's sake and just hypothetical that the Cowboys went to the Super Bowl in 2016 and again last season and that Prescott's, Lawrence's, Elliott's and Cooper's contracts will all be up when free agency starts next month. You also have to remember that there will also be other player's contract up too but because the QB's are getting such exorbitant contracts eating up a much higher percentage of cap space, the Cowboys would have to decide which of those 3 star players they will be able to also sign after the huge QB contract and still be able to sigh the other free agents plus their rookie contracts. If QB's weren't making such huge money the Cowboys would probably be able to resign 2 of the other stars and maybe all 3 and also be able to resign most of the other players and their rookies. What they're talking about here is QB's contracts in general league wide not just Prescott's next contract.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Stop already, please. It's a union, regardless of what you want to call it. I mean, is this what you wanna discuss?

If so, find somebody else, this is not worthy of discussion IMO.

It's funny, not ha ha funny, that you just don't understand there is a difference between unions and associations. Before looking foolish again by saying the NFLPA is a union do some actual research on the actual differences.

No the discussion is about QB contracts but how can you discuss something with someone that doesn't even know what the players have.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's fanny, not ha ha funny, that you just don't understand there is a difference between unions and associations. Before looking foolish again by saying the NFLPA is a union do some actual research on the actual differences.

No the discussion is about QB contracts but how can you discuss something with someone that doesn't even know what the players have.

OK, it's been great, really.

Good luck with this.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Lets just say for argument's sake and just hypothetical that the Cowboys went to the Super Bowl in 2016 and again last season and that Prescott's, Lawrence's, Elliott's and Cooper's contracts will all be up when free agency starts next month. You also have to remember that there will also be other player's contract up too but because the QB's are getting such exorbitant contracts eating up a much higher percentage of cap space, the Cowboys would have to decide which of those 3 star players they will be able to also sign after the huge QB contract and still be able to sigh the other free agents plus their rookie contracts. If QB's weren't making such huge money the Cowboys would probably be able to resign 2 of the other stars and maybe all 3 and also be able to resign most of the other players and their rookies. What they're talking about here is QB's contracts in general league wide not just Prescott's next contract.
I know exactly what they are talking about. What made you think I didn't. The question is being asked because Dak is due for an extension.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I'll say it, I don't want to pay Dak the premium. Why would I?
Then don't pay it. Let's start over and see how that makes this fanbase feel. Honestly, that's what i'd like to see happen. Again, to see this site burn.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Then don't pay it. Let's start over and see how that makes this fanbase feel. Honestly, that's what i'd like to see happen. Again, to see this site burn.

OK. Lets do that then because if the choice is always going to be, "Pay the man top dollar" at every position, we might as well get a head start. We are eventually going to be starting over a lot anyway. BTW, you didn't answer the question. Why would I pay him top dollar? I see no reason to do it.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
OK. Lets do that then because if the choice is always going to be, "Pay the man top dollar" at every position, we might as well get a head start. We are eventually going to be starting over a lot anyway. BTW, you didn't answer the question. Why would I pay him top dollar? I see no reason to do it.

So far the ONLY ones that are saying that Prescott will get top dollar contract have come from a couple of articles that, get ready, SPECULATE to get clicks on their articles and some fans here who have zero to do with the negotiations. It seems that some here have COMPLETELY over looked the fact that Prescott himself has publicly said that his new deal will be FAIR for ALL. That just doesn't sound like a player ready to try to hold the team up for a bank breaking deal.

Insomniac

Reaction score
It's funny, not ha ha funny, that you just don't understand there is a difference between unions and associations. Before looking foolish again by saying the NFLPA is a union do some actual research on the actual differences.

The NFLPA is a union. The NFLPA decertified in 2011 in order to sue the NFL in federal court for anti-trust violations. Labor law exempts collective bargaining agreements from anti-trust suits. After the NFLPA decertified as a union they filed the Brady vs NFL anti-trust case. After a short legal battle the parties settled. Part of the settlement required the NFLPA to recertify as a union in order to have a new collective bargaining agreement. That meant that the majority of NFL players had to sign union authorization cards whichmeans they are a union. I don't believe you can have a collective bargaining agreement without having a union. You shouldn't accuse other people of not understanding somehing that you clearly do not understand.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

As long as a Collective Bargaining Agreement is in place it's a distinction without a difference. If the Association was simply operating under a Memorandum of Understanding, then you'd have a valid point. A CBA gives them the option to strike (because it's a contract), as opposed to an MOU (which is not).