Should the Boys be worried about the WR position?

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
It was obvious that the Boys needed help on defense and I'm glad that we added some players through FA and the draft. Should we have drafted a receiver at #20? Do we really believe that our current receivers will be good enough for us to make the playoffs? Is there anyone on our WR depth chart that we can say is a future starter? Will we struggle with the deep ball again because of a lack of team speed? Obviously Bill is planning on winning with the defense....I hope he's right.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I for one, am optimistic about Morgan and Crayton developing and having a good year.

Keyshawn and Glenn are solid and proven starters. Health is the only concern, but you can say that about every WR in the league...regardless of their age.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Glenn and Keyshawn are both getting pretty long in the tooth but if they stay healthy we will be fine; they still got skills. If one or the other goes down Mrogan and or Crayton will have to step up; I have a good feeling about Crayton but Morgan worries me. I would hope that we will be drafting a WR in round 1 next year assuming a good one worth the pick is available.

blindzebra

Reaction score
This team is not being put together to air it out.

Ball control and defense is what we want, whether we get it remains to be seen.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
And let's not forget what KC Joyner reminded us of re Jason Witten.

Witten was used as a WR on 39 of his 129 attempts. He caught 29 of those passes for 353 yards and 3 TDs.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Dallas4ever said:
It was obvious that the Boys needed help on defense and I'm glad that we added some players through FA and the draft. Should we have drafted a receiver at #20? Do we really believe that our current receivers will be good enough for us to make the playoffs? Is there anyone on our WR depth chart that we can say is a future starter? Will we struggle with the deep ball again because of a lack of team speed? Obviously Bill is planning on winning with the defense....I hope he's right.

...you don't bank your team's future on diamonds in the rough.

Glenn and Key's age is a concern if you are talking about the Boys in two years. Heck even this year it still remains to be seen if there may not be an injury concern. I don't like the backups if either one goes down.

Morgan is not going to suddenly turn into Mr. All World overnight. Is Crayton and Copper good enough to challenge NFL defences on a regular basis. If I was betting the chips I would have to say "No" at this time.

If there are problems in our receiving corp this year we will be running an excessive amount of plays with Julius and company.

BigDDynasty

Reaction score
I need to say is: Jimmy Smith, he is 36 years old and is getting it done. Key and Glenn are good to go.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
We are not a deep team at WR obviously.

All that said we aren;t completely bereft of talent at WR and its actually quite to the contrary. For a team who wants to runt he ball alot we have a very good set of proven vet WRs. Depth is better than being given credit for IMHO.

KJ: One of the better possession WRs in the NFL. A tough player who will play hurt and perform with no excuses. Excellent hands, size, intelligence. Mouth gets him in trouble.

Terry Glenn: Still a top 20 speed guy at the position. Probably top 20 hands as well. He is small tho. Age and size mean some level of injury concern but playts tough for BP who recognized early on this guy was small but good.

Quincy Morgan: Extremely fast guy with much less quickness than Glenn but excellent overall speed. Maddeningly inconsistent and has only average balance and hands.

Crayton: Heady player with mediocre speed but good hands and good strength. Seems to make a lot of plays. Local kid and fan favorite.

Ahmad Merritt: Another quick and fast player with a lack of overall size. Potential 3rd or 4th WR long term with ST ability.

Crowder: Extremely athletic kid is a novice WR but potential special teams star. Depth WR at best.

Copper: Good size and speed. Raw in routes and only average hands. Very good potential but a long way from starting. Made less plays than Crayton thus fell behind him last season.

slick325

Reaction score
To answer the question......YES the Cowboys should be worried about the WR positon. In my opinion it is the weakest position on the roster. The secondary as a whole is solid with TNew, Henry, Glenn and Williams and the corners from last seasons roster in depth roles plus the rookie from Ball State at SS. FS is a concern but it is just one position out of the bunch and may be hidden by the surrounding talent. Same can be said about the offensive line and the RT position. The DL and LB core got added depth thru the draft, the TE spot got Campbell back to go with Witten and Robinson (both Pro Bowlers). The QB spot got Bledsoe to go with prospects Henson and Romo who have a year in the system under the belt. The RB spot has "21" (Julius Jones) and got added talent/depth thru free agency and the draft with A Train and Barber III respectively.

Wideout has two thirty somethings coming off of injuries, a 1st rounder who has yet to "breakout" and needs to learn how to position his hands for the 1st time in his four or five year career and a bunch of low round players or undrafted players we hope "breakout" much like we did with "Mr. Intangibles" Randall Williams. I believe that Key and Glenn can be effective this season especially since age shouldn't affect Key's game since it is not predicated on speed however, my concern is the fragility of Terry Glenn. Glenn if healthy is very dangerous but at this age the injuries to a player who is somewhat slight of build (relatively speaking since most of the guys we consider small in the NFL are ripped up and make us look bad) is more likely to occur than not. Next season this spot needs to be made a priority.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Sorry but this is arun oriented offense, we have the kind of recievers we need for a ball control offense, tough recievers that can catch over the middle, and some speed to get over the CBS that are cheating the run, so no we dont need to worry about our WR

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
davidyee said:
...you don't bank your team's future on diamonds in the rough.

Glenn and Key's age is a concern if you are talking about the Boys in two years. Heck even this year it still remains to be seen if there may not be an injury concern. I don't like the backups if either one goes down.

Morgan is not going to suddenly turn into Mr. All World overnight. Is Crayton and Copper good enough to challenge NFL defences on a regular basis. If I was betting the chips I would have to say "No" at this time.

If there are problems in our receiving corp this year we will be running an excessive amount of plays with Julius and company.

I agreement with you here. It will be interesting to see what Michael Clayton does in Baltimore. Parcells is obviously trusting in winning with average receivers the way he did it with the Giants. Although I think that Key and Glenn will play well when they're on the field....no one else really excites me. I hope I'm wrong but Morgan seems to be one of those guys who every year is waiting to have a break out season.

Natedawg44

Reaction score

No
Yes
No
No

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Look back at some historical Parcells' WRs. I don't think he really emphasizes the position too much. Phil McConkey anyone?

Like BZ said, expect a run heavy ball control offense combined with a (hopefully) stingy defense.

slick325

Reaction score
junk said:
Look back at some historical Parcells' WRs. I don't think he really emphasizes the position too much. Phil McConkey anyone?

Like BZ said, expect a run heavy ball control offense combined with a (hopefully) stingy defense.

Also keep in mind that he did draft Keyshawn number 1 overall and despite his reservations Glenn was picked in the top ten under Parcells Pats. He will pick the best available if he deems the position a need position.

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
slick325 said:
Also keep in mind that he did draft Keyshawn number 1 overall and despite his reservations Glenn was picked in the top ten under Parcells Pats. He will pick the best available if he deems the position a need position.

If you remember correctly, Parcells was at odds with ownership for drafting Glenn. This is where his issues with the management there began.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
Dallas4ever said:
Should we have drafted a receiver at #20?

Yes

Dallas4ever said:
Do we really believe that our current receivers will be good enough for us to make the playoffs?

No

Dallas4ever said:
Is there anyone on our WR depth chart that we can say is a future starter?

No

Dallas4ever said:
Will we struggle with the deep ball again because of a lack of team speed?

Deep, shallow or in between, Jones and Witten will get worn out and there is no dominant WR that can carry the team. Michael could do it with a part timer like Harper but all we have now are Harpers now and 3/5ths of an O line to buy time.

On the D side we have a whole new look and larger D play book with a lot of new faces. I only remember one dirty dozen draft where new guys contributed big. So I might give you lower scoring games, maybe better field position but will have to see the D scoring more to believe it will impact the game.

slick325

Reaction score
Dallas4ever said:
If you remember correctly, Parcells was at odds with ownership for drafting Glenn. This is where his issues with the management there began.

I know, I was in law school in Boston at the time so it was front page news. However, Parcells had Glenn ranked second behind another player who was available at the time, who that was I don't recall at the moment. The point is, Parcells had a wideout ranked second or third on his board when Glenn was selected. He picks the best player available when the draft comes around.

Bizwah

Reaction score
jterrell said:
We are not a deep team at WR obviously.

All that said we aren;t completely bereft of talent at WR and its actually quite to the contrary. For a team who wants to runt he ball alot we have a very good set of proven vet WRs. Depth is better than being given credit for IMHO.

KJ: One of the better possession WRs in the NFL. A tough player who will play hurt and perform with no excuses. Excellent hands, size, intelligence. Mouth gets him in trouble.

Terry Glenn: Still a top 20 speed guy at the position. Probably top 20 hands as well. He is small tho. Age and size mean some level of injury concern but playts tough for BP who recognized early on this guy was small but good.

Quincy Morgan: Extremely fast guy with much less quickness than Glenn but excellent overall speed. Maddeningly inconsistent and has only average balance and hands.

Crayton: Heady player with mediocre speed but good hands and good strength. Seems to make a lot of plays. Local kid and fan favorite.

Ahmad Merritt: Another quick and fast player with a lack of overall size. Potential 3rd or 4th WR long term with ST ability.

Crowder: Extremely athletic kid is a novice WR but potential special teams star. Depth WR at best.

Copper: Good size and speed. Raw in routes and only average hands. Very good potential but a long way from starting. Made less plays than Crayton thus fell behind him last season.

Good post, as usual JT.

We're just like every other team in the NFL. We're going to have areas where we're not deep. Name one team with depth at every single position.

I was dead set against taking a WR at 20. Who was there that was better value than Spears? Clayton? Matt Jones? Sorry........Even with the drafting of Ware at #11, we were still dangerously in need of a DE. We had (and still have) good starters at WR. Clayton is a fine receiver, but I dont' think he'd make the same impact on our 2005 team than a Spears will.

We need depth at WR, but you don't draft for depth with a 6-10 team in the first round. You draft difference makers.

Patience........Glenn and Johnson will do fine this year. We can wait for FA or the draft next year to look at WR.