Should the Boys be worried about the WR position?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
i like Crayton more than Copper BNA, i think he will start before copper

We'll have to see. I think they both have potential. And I think we can still play as long as Key and Glenn aren't out at the same time ...

We have more depth at WR than we do at QB.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
We'll have to see. I think they both have potential. And I think we can still play as long as Key and Glenn aren't out at the same time ...

We have more depth at WR than we do at QB.

as i can see by your Sig

Hailmary

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
For all of you worrying about the WR position .... remember this name .... Terrance Copper.

Let's see if he makes the team first.

We should be carrying 5 WRs. Glenn, Key and Morgan are locks. Pretty sure Crayton will make it. That leaves the last spot open for either Copper, Crowder, Merritt, Rector, or Z. Smith.

I think Rector and Smith don't stand a chance. Merritt's older and hasn't shown anything in the league yet...I don't think he makes it. So the last spot is a fight between Copper and Crowder. Copper has more experience while Crowder is the better athlete. Should be an interesting battle and one I'm looking forward to in camp. Personally, I'm rooting for Crowder because outside of Glenn, we don't really have a burner.

And also remember that Crowder was a ST demon at Arkansas (not that Copper isn't a good ST'er). This may be the key determining factor since the 5th WR isn't expected to contribute that much on offense anyway and will most likely see the field on ST.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
we should be OK at WR, for this season. It will more than likely be addressed after this season. Glenn staying healthy is going to be a major factor this year.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
slick325 said:
Also keep in mind that he did draft Keyshawn number 1 overall and despite his reservations Glenn was picked in the top ten under Parcells Pats. He will pick the best available if he deems the position a need position.
Slick, Bill didn't draft Key, he inherited him in NY.

Both Glenn and Johnson came out in 96.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas4ever said:
Should we have drafted a receiver at #20?

Do we really believe that our current receivers will be good enough for us to make the playoffs?

Is there anyone on our WR depth chart that we can say is a future starter?

Will we struggle with the deep ball again because of a lack of team speed?
No
Yes
No
No

What we have is an interesting collection of veterans and unproven WR's. By seasons end, we will know which from each group we can count on in the future. Our WR corp is good enough to mkae the playoffs. After making off season adjustments in 2006, it will be good enough to win super bowls.

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
We can't improve every position in one off season. WR improvement will come.

I totally agree with this statement. However, there are key skill positions that you must have players who can impact the game. It think that Key and Glenn will do fine if their healthy. You gotta admit that it would've been nice to get young speedy receiver on roster. Tom Brady has the luxury of speed wideouts for several years now. Even though they're not exactly a vertical offense, the speed threat has worked well for them.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Dallas4ever said:
It was obvious that the Boys needed help on defense and I'm glad that we added some players through FA and the draft. Should we have drafted a receiver at #20? Do we really believe that our current receivers will be good enough for us to make the playoffs? Is there anyone on our WR depth chart that we can say is a future starter? Will we struggle with the deep ball again because of a lack of team speed? Obviously Bill is planning on winning with the defense....I hope he's right.

last time I checked Glenn and Morgan were pretty fast, and Crayton ran right by Shawn Springs...Jason Witten is definitely one of the more fleet TE's in the league...Julius Jones is a serious homerun hitter

I dont see lack of speed as an issue

David

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
slick325 said:
Also keep in mind that he did draft Keyshawn number 1 overall and despite his reservations Glenn was picked in the top ten under Parcells Pats. He will pick the best available if he deems the position a need position.

LTN noted this as well, but BP didn't draft Key and was against the drafting of Glenn.

Other than that, Coles in 3 is the most recent higher round WR selection I can think of BP making.

Eddie

Reaction score
Depth is a problem throughout the NFL. The Colts are one hit away at QB to be in serious trouble.

Same thing...

slick325

Reaction score
junk said:
LTN noted this as well, but BP didn't draft Key and was against the drafting of Glenn.

Other than that, Coles in 3 is the most recent higher round WR selection I can think of BP making.

Thanks for the clarification LTN and Junk. I stand corrected.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I definitely wanted Mark Clayton... but with Crayton and Copper waiting and Key, Glenn and Morgan starting we would be cheating ourselves of possibly finding out what we already have.

Trophy#6

Reaction score
..if Morgan or Crayton step up when one of the starters goes down.

Gee, isn't that what we had hoped for happening last year and never did? We're in a crapload of trouble and it's name is #2 WR spot & #3 WR Spot...Keyshawn will tough it out just like he always does, he is no worry, just everyone below him is the worry.

Next year WR will more than likely be our number 1 priority going into the offseason. It's our achilles heal and it very well could kill us before then, but with the laxed back attitude our coaching staff has taken towards fixing this glarring problem, what can you expect..