Should the Cowboys promote Columbo to Oline coach?

should the Cowboys fire Alexander and promote Columbo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jipper

Reaction score
Our OL is a continuation of 2017. They struggled a lot. It was deflected and blamed on the Zeke suspension, but Denver & Atlanta last year left a lasting impression. And we struggled last year in the passing game too. It is the same O with the same HC & OC running it.

Let's not underestimate the impact that the Injury of tyron last year and Fred this year have had....again a lack of cohesiveness due to injuries....coaching is still not great but there are also other factors

CWR

Reaction score
I say yes for a few reasons.

1) Early the week Bryan B. (I can’t spell his last name) hinted that olinemen from the beginning didn’t like Alexander and his techniques.

3) Columbo played at a pro bowl level for a few years in the NFL (the players respect him) I’ve listened to multiple interviews with Olinemen talking positively about him.

2) Columbo has been the assistant since 2015 but was working with Dallas without an official title since 2013 (I believe, could be wrong)

Just an early morning thought. It’s not like the Kellen Moore move because Columbo has Coaching experience, has already been around these players for years, and wouldn’t be a child coach.

Not that it necessarily matters, but Id also add Columbo could actually play, unlike Kellen Moore who sucked. @Floatyworm lol

Zman5

Reaction score

1) Early the week Bryan B. (I can’t spell his last name) hinted that olinemen from the beginning didn’t like Alexander and his techniques.

3) Columbo played at a pro bowl level for a few years in the NFL (the players respect him) I’ve listened to multiple interviews with Olinemen talking positively about him.

2) Columbo has been the assistant since 2015 but was working with Dallas without an official title since 2013 (I believe, could be wrong)

Just an early morning thought. It’s not like the Kellen Moore move because Columbo has Coaching experience, has already been around these players for years, and wouldn’t be a child coach.

Nick Eatman also said Alexander should be replaced. I got the feeling that's what the players are telling him.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Yes, they should this Alexander guy is overrated like Linehan's play calling. There's nothing wrong with our offensive scheme or plays, it's the plays that are being called, it's like he has no feel for the game and he gives up on the run too quick, Zeke should never carry the ball less than 25 times a game, and in all the games we have lost Zeke should have carried the ball 30 or more times. Linehan may need to go sit in the booth and try calling the game from there. Some OCs cannot call a good game from the sidelines and vice versa, and if he still has problems get rid of him, and hire Romo

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
It's a conundrum.

Alexander appears to be having issues.

If the OL does not like him..

yes.

Sanjay can go, too.

Their positions and failing to correct the problems is causing us to fail in a lot of ways.

Now it's affecting Zeke.

If he gets hurt becuz of the additional pounding he is taking..

we completely screwed.

I say everyone on offense should go including Garrett. Let the new coach hire his own offensive personnel.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They would have done it from the beginning they thought he was ready.

It does appear that there are problems with the current OL coach.

I'm OK giving the job to Columbo for the remainder of the season but I don't think it will happen for the above reason.

Columbo is the assistant OL coach: https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/coaches-roster/

I would trade a pick to get Bill Callahan back; although, he will not work with Garrett.

Next season they can hire a Head Coach that calls the plays and then hire Bill Callahan as the offensive coordinator. That's a step up from his current OL coach title with the Skins. He wound not actually be the play caller but Jerry can pay him enough to make it worthwhile to return.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This sounds exactly like a Jason Garrett quote.

Nope -- It's a Bullflop original. I quit listening to JG, Jerry and Stephen. It's an exercise in futility. :grin:

I went ahead and answered yes to Colombo -- just figured it couldn't get much worse than it already is.

Last edited:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
They would have done it from the beginning they thought he was ready.

It does appear that there are problems with the current OL coach.

I'm OK giving the job to Columbo for the remainder of the season but I don't think it will happen for the above reason.

Columbo is the assistant OL coach: https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/coaches-roster/

I would trade a pick to get Bill Callahan back; although, he will not work with Garrett.

Next season they can hire a Head Coach that calls the plays and then hire Bill Callahan as the offensive coordinator. That's a step up from his current OL coach title with the Skins. He wound not actually be the play caller but Jerry can pay him enough to make it worthwhile to return.

I would love to hire Callahan back. Since he left our oline has gone to the dumps.

It was also obvious that Callahan was the reason why 2014 was a success. Not Linehan and certainly NOT Garrett.

I would be all for Callahan calling the plays. Can Garrett as head coach and have a coach that really has an idea how to run the team.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Alexander runs a more forward power scheme Callahan ran a zone blocking like what they use to run in Denver under Shanahan. This line was drafted more athletic to run a zone blocking. Not sure what we ran back in Columbo’s days. I clicked unsure cause I don’t know what scheme Columbo would run and never seen him coach anywhere so don’t know jack about him as a coach. I’m all for trying new stuff no point in pounding you head into a wall repeatedly but not sure change will work either.

One of the biggest problems on this team is all the square pegs being pounded into round holes. If you want to run a certain scheme draft players for it if you want to draft best players available then build a scheme that fits them. That’s been the story of the entire JG timeline. We had man CBs playing zone we have a mobile throw on the run QB trying to be a pocket QB we have a zone blocking line trying to be a power blocking line we have a mess with WRs it’s a joke. You know everyone dogs Dak but I bet if you swap him out with Mahomes that Reid turns Dak into an all star and Pat turns into a pumpkin.

cristglo

Reaction score
Alexander runs a more forward power scheme Callahan ran a zone blocking like what they use to run in Denver under Shanahan. This line was drafted more athletic to run a zone blocking. Not sure what we ran back in Columbo’s days. I clicked unsure cause I don’t know what scheme Columbo would run and never seen him coach anywhere so don’t know jack about him as a coach. I’m all for trying new stuff no point in pounding you head into a wall repeatedly but not sure change will work either.

One of the biggest problems on this team is all the square pegs being pounded into round holes. If you want to run a certain scheme draft players for it if you want to draft best players available then build a scheme that fits them. That’s been the story of the entire JG timeline. We had man CBs playing zone we have a mobile throw on the run QB trying to be a pocket QB we have a zone blocking line trying to be a power blocking line we have a mess with WRs it’s a joke. You know everyone dogs Dak but I bet if you swap him out with Mahomes that Reid turns Dak into an all star and Pat turns into a pumpkin.
The truth

Rayman70

Reaction score
NO. Fred beards absence has hurt the oline and Collins has played out of position.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score

Can I get a link or source to number 1?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
He did well in Cincinnati for 20 years. It is not like he is a horrible coach.
Their Ol had some injury issues, the let players go, had quite a few Ol in and out over the past few years.
Some of that does fall at his feet. When some of their OL were up for new contracts, the owner used Alexander's assessment to make decisions. He used Alexander's evaluations of prospects or young players and assured the owner the young guys were going to be good or better replacements, and ended up letting quality guys leave. The young guys never did develop and their OL was terrible. At least one young OL for Cincy, said this off season that he was thankful for the change in coaching that Pollack was taking advantage of his skillset of being physical and aggressive and not trying to make him something that he wasn't.

fansince68

Reaction score
The regression of the OL is obviously too serious to ignore. Nevertheless, the offseason is the time to make such a change. Whether it's destined to involve Colombo or not is best determined by someone with closer inside knowledge than the fans on this website.
Considering the amount we are paying for our o line, we definately need to consider some changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.