Should the Cowboys trade for QB Alex Smith?

vaturkey

Reaction score
Dak needs to be pushed, not babied like a franchise QB. Is Alex Smith the guy to do it? I don't know. Sam Bradford, maybe? It has to be someone good enough to push Dak, but not someone who will destroy his confidence. Maybe that guy just doesn't exist. Don't know.

I'd much rather have Bradford because he can make all the throws and is smart. Now will his body hold up is the question.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Smith is an older version of Dak, but he can't run as well. Not gaining anything from that move.

links18

Reaction score
I'd much rather have Bradford because he can make all the throws and is smart. Now will his body hold up is the question.

And how much would be cost? Would he demand to start? Etc. Etc.?

rags747

Reaction score
Dak needs to be pushed, not babied like a franchise QB. Is Alex Smith the guy to do it? I don't know. Sam Bradford, maybe? It has to be someone good enough to push Dak, but not someone who will destroy his confidence. Maybe that guy just doesn't exist. Don't know.
Both Bradford and Smith would start over Dak, it wouldn't even be close IMO.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Honestly, I think Alex Smith is an apropos comp for Dak's likely ceiling.

Smith is not bad; he knows his limitations.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, they should make the commitment and get their franchise QB in this draft.

Short of that, as we all know that's not happening, trading for Smith would instantly improve the offense by a lot.

They are a playoff team this year with Alex Smith.

CWR

Reaction score

Short of that, as we all know that's not happening, trading for Smith would instantly improve the offense by a lot.

Everyone saying hes the same as Dak is cute. He was flat out better than Dak this year, and it wasnt close.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I have mentioned Smith as a viable option last week, the guy is so under rated. He got the reputation of a bus driver early on in his career and it has stuck with him regardless how effective he has been the ladder part of hos career.

Reactions: CWR

noletime95

Reaction score

And a SB contender with Cousins

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone saying hes the same as Dak is cute. He was flat out better than Dak this year, and it wasnt close.

Smith would lose the Atlanta game too because Chaz Green was horrendous and he wouldn't have any more answers than Prescott had but what Alex Smith wouldn't do is let that game carry over and play shell shocked for the next month plus.

Their ability to throw the ball isn't even comparable.

This would be plan B for me. Plan A is selling the farm in the draft for our guy. We are the Dallas Cowboys. This is QB. We should be shooting for the moon.

J817

Reaction score
The FO will do whatever they want. That doesn't make it the right thing to do. Granted it would be tough to find a guy who fits the bill, which is why I ended my post by saying the right guy might not exist, which would be unfortunate for Dak's development.

My point was, there is no “right guy” in the FO perspective. The QB depth (Dak and Cooper) will be the depth you will see next year. Finding a mentor QB or someone to push Dak is not on their radar. That maybe unfortunate but is what it is

CWR

Reaction score
Smith would lose the Atlanta game too because Chaz Green was horrendous and he wouldn't have any more answers than Prescott had but what Alex Smith wouldn't do is let that game carry over and play shell shocked for the next month plus.

Their ability to throw the ball isn't even comparable.

This would be plan B for me. Plan A is selling the farm in the draft for our guy. We are the Dallas Cowboys. This is QB. We should be shooting for the moon.

If there is an absolute stud in the draft Id go for it as well. After this season I give you a ton of credit on evaluating Dak. Although I differ from you because Im not ready to quit on Dak.

Yes Id be willing to put massive resources towards another qb but Id let them compete. If both qbs look good then so what, we can always trade one away.

What I wouldnt do is have a false sense of security and be willing to gamble away another season with poor qb play.

I posted an espn link showing the absurd number of FA qbs this offseason. The oppurtunities are there, unfortunately right or wrong I doubt we address the position.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well..........this thread is in the correct forum.