Should the NFL get rid of divisions?

Motorola

Reaction score
Does the NFL actually need divisions or could they just do away with them in favor of two conferences (like the NBA does)? You could do more matchups with the best squads and do away with certain divisions that do not produce enough fierce competition. More matchups of the highest seeds would likely benefit ratings and attendance. Force teams to have a more comprehensive approach to team building. What say you?
The NBA did not do away with divisions.
The 30 teams still are aligned in six 5-team divisions - 3 each for each conference.
What the NBA does in difference to the NFL --- the overall teams' won-loss regular season records in each conference determine the seedings for the top six playoff berths --- with the final two spots 7th & 8th seeds are determined by "play-in" games for the teams that finished 7th through 10th.
NBA teams still get acknowledged as a division winner (hanging a banner) - but could still have to start the playoffs on the road to a 2nd/3rd place division finisher that has a better record.
If the NFL would adopt the NBA's postseason format - the AFC South Division winner Texans and the NFC South Division titlelist Buccaneers would be the 5th seeds, thus going on the road to play the Browns and Eagles, respectively -- Because CLE was 11-6 to end 2023 to HOU at 10-7, and TB was 9-8 in the regular season to PHL having an 11-6 record.
In summary - keep the divisions...just seed the playoff qualifiers by their records.

Last edited:

Blitzen

Reaction score
The NBA did not do away with divisions.
The 30 teams still are aligned in six 5-team divisions - 3 each for each conference.
What the NBA does in difference to the NFL --- the overall teams' won-loss regular season records in each conference determine the seedings for the top six playoff berths --- with the final two spots 7th & 8th seeds are determined by "play-in" games for the teams that finished 7th through 10th.
NBA teams still get acknowledged as a division winner (hanging a banner) - but could still have to start the playoffs on the road to a 2nd/3rd place division finisher that has a better record.
If the NFL would adopt the NBA's postseason format - the AFC South Division winner Texans and the NFC South Division titlelist Buccaneers would be the 5th seeds, thus going on the road to play the Browns and Eagles, respectively -- Because CLE was 11-6 to end 2023 to HOU at 10-7, and TB was 9-8 in the regular season to PHL having an 11-6 record.
In summary - keep the divisions...just seed the playoff qualifiers by their records.

Yeah-I realized that after the post lol. I am mainly thinking about playoff seeding and regular season scheduling.

How about if the divisions were gone and the two conferences stayed, BUT for tradition sake they still played one game vs their old division teams each season? The other matchups could be based on the previous season performance. More best teams versus best teams hopefully. Also more comprehensive-could matchup with 8 AFC/8 NFC opponents with one random matchup.

Conference seeding would determine home playoff teams and wildcard teams. The division games don’t mean as much unless they are ultra competitive and there are so many divisions where the divisions are made up of 1-2 good teams and 2-3 poor/mediocre teams.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Does the NFL actually need divisions or could they just do away with them in favor of two conferences (like the NBA does)? You could do more matchups with the best squads and do away with certain divisions that do not produce enough fierce competition. More matchups of the highest seeds would likely benefit ratings and attendance. Force teams to have a more comprehensive approach to team building. What say you?
That's an interesting topic. I actually think mixing up the divisions every year would add to the excitement of the schedule.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The divisional games at the end of the season provide some of the highest drama and best contests of the year. It's like an opening round of playoffs. If they were to get rid of the divisions and take away those bitter rivalries, it would be a tremendous blow to the league.

Fmart322

Reaction score
I would keep the divisions but would change the playoffs format.
For instance, get rid of only 1 team in each conference getting a bye week and giving everyone a bye week. It's a long season and players get injured, star players. A week off before the playoffs would help those players tremendously and would make for a better game.

Also, you could do away with the conferences in the post season all together and add 2 more teams. Rank each team 1-16 and do it like March madness.
Imagine if 2 teams like the Cowboys/49ers, Steelers/Ravens or Bears/Packers played in a super bowl. It would be crazy.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oops. I guess I’m thinking in terms of how postseason seeding is decided. I don’t see much of a point to divisions in the NFL. They don’t play more than one game a week typically which means it’s not useful for scheduling purposes.
Wouldn't hurt to shake things up a bit.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Might as well.
They have ruined everything else that made the NFL great.
I think the games should all be pay per view. Now that the NFL has embraced gambling it's no longer a family show.
I think you have a great Idea on your hands, the NFL should pay us to view their lousy games.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't know about that, but thatv17th game should be a regional match up. Dallas-Houston, Rams Chargers, Jets-Giants, etc. That would make more sense and make for rabid rivalries!