Should the NFL get rid of divisions?

Blitzen

Reaction score
Does the NFL actually need divisions or could they just do away with them in favor of two conferences (like the NBA does)? You could do more matchups with the best squads and do away with certain divisions that do not produce enough fierce competition. More matchups of the highest seeds would likely benefit ratings and attendance. Force teams to have a more comprehensive approach to team building. What say you?

leeblair

Reaction score
Does the NFL actually need divisions or could they just do away with them in favor of two conferences (like the NBA does)? You could do more matchups with the best squads and do away with certain divisions that do not produce enough fierce competition. More matchups of the highest seeds would likely benefit ratings and attendance. Force teams to have a more comprehensive approach to team building. What say you?
Might as well.
They have ruined everything else that made the NFL great.
I think the games should all be pay per view. Now that the NFL has embraced gambling it's no longer a family show.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uhhh, Blitzen. The NBA has two conferences with three divisions in each conference.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Idk.

The nba system works fine for basketball. But idk about the NFL. It’s nice having those 2 divisional games that carry extra importance over other regular season games.

vicjagger

Reaction score
I like divisions, but they need to be strictly geographically based because familiarity breeds contempt. The oportunity for overlapping fan-bases is what fuels true rivalries. See Steelers v Browns.

Dallas should be in a division with Arizona, Houston and New Orleans

The Jets and Giants should be in the same division. Indianapolis and Cincinnati are about 100 miles apart, as are Buffalo and Cleveland. Let the 3 Florida teams and Atlanta and/or Carolina be a division. The West Coast teams can be one division....

Blitzen

Reaction score
Uhhh, Blitzen. The NBA has two conferences with three divisions in each conference.

Oops. I guess I’m thinking in terms of how postseason seeding is decided. I don’t see much of a point to divisions in the NFL. They don’t play more than one game a week typically which means it’s not useful for scheduling purposes.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'm of the opposite persuasion:

Get rid of wildcard teams. Get rid of the wildcard round of the playoffs and make division titles meaningful again.

What's so special about winning a division if 75% of the 2nd place teams in the league also make the playoffs?

When 14 of 32 teams make the playoffs (43.8%) the postseason becomes so diluted that average teams with practically no chance to proceed are showcased.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Depends on how many name changes they impose to satisfy the three people who are offended and who don't watch football. Personally, the 'ol No Names change completely ruined the rivalry for me. All that history, defecated on.

leeblair

Reaction score
There are bad ideas. Then there are really bad ideas. Then there are horrible ideas. Then there is this idea.
Well, it would fall in line perfectly with what the NFL has become.
It's the Kentucky Derby, an IFC match, Wrestlemania, Conner McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather, and more, all rolled into a package sold to gamblers now.