Should Tony Romo receive consideration for MVP?

Wrangler87

Reaction score
I know Kurt Warner has been the flavor of the week lately, but Romo is the third rated passer in the NFL, has been 6-2 as a starter, and is not far behind on passing yards, in spite of missing three games. His stats are very comparable right now with Warner, other than the passing yards due to the missed games.

The award is given to the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER to his team. I think it's pretty obvious to everyone in America just how valuable Romo is to the Dallas Cowboys after the Johnson affair. The Cowboys would have trouble competing on the college level without him.

So, if he continues his high level of play, and leads this team to the playoffs with a respectable record, should he be considered for MVP? His statistics should be comparable (with Warner's) by seasons end, even while playing with a splint on his throwing hand. In fact, a couple more games like Sunday, and even the media may start to consider him.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I think Drew Brees is a more deserving candidate than Kurt Warner, but I would say, yes, Tony definitely deserves consideration as well.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
YES IF.......

we run the table or only lose 1 more game since he came back

we make the playoffs

he continues to throw for around 300 yards and 2-3 tds per game for the rest of the season.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Chief;2442932 said:
I think Drew Brees is a more deserving candidate than Kurt Warner, but I would say, yes, Tony definitely deserves consideration as well.

The Saints won't make the playoffs. They won't give it to a player on a team that is not at least playoff level.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Rampage;2442935 said:
YES IF.......

we run the table or only lose 1 more game since he came back

we make the playoffs

he continues to throw for around 300 yards and 2-3 tds per game for the rest of the season.

If we won out and he did that then yeah he'd be considered.

I think Brees is who should win it. Look at the numbers he's putting up while throwing to guys that couldn't even make the team in Dallas or Arizona.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
If the Saints would have a better record, Brees would deserve it but right now, it honestly looks like Kurt Warner will get it.

Like others said, if the Cowboys run the table or only get one more loss, Romo will also be a very deserving candidate.

There is a chance.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Brees doesn't deserve it. He puts up those numbers because they don't run the ball.

And two or three times this year he has been picked off at the end of the game.

I agree that if we win out and get into the playoffs, Tony has to be in consideration, but I think its going to end up being Warner.

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but I think B.Favre should get some major consideration.
He's done wonders for The Jets and if they take the division and get to the SB ,well, I can see it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the media should start blathering about Dallas w/ and w/o Romo like they did w/ Bob Sanders

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
Ok, relax homers. We all know the voting is a joke anyway. How often does the most deserving player ever get it?

One thing you seem to be missing, is they do not count games that he played in, they count the entire season.

He missed a few games, and you were terrible without him, so by techincal definition, he was hurting his team by not being able to play, making him INvaluable.

Also, because they count stats for the whole season, he will not come close to consideration unless he finishes in a flurry.

As it stands now, they typically judge QBs based on yardage, TD passes, completion % and rating. He is 3rd in QB rating, but that is to be expected, because if you play less, you have less chance of screwing up.

His rank in the other 3 categories aren't even close to being good enough to sway MVP voters......
18th in passing yards
11th in completion percentage
8th in TD passes

If it was based on actual value to your team, he'd have a shot. However, we all know enough to know the voting doesn't work that way.

Is there any rule for a minimum amount of games you can play to be considered?

Based on the argument a lot of you are using about most value to the team, Tom Brady should be the run away winner.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Extreme;2443198 said:
Ok, relax homers. We all know the voting is a joke anyway. How often does the most deserving player ever get it?

One thing you seem to be missing, is they do not count games that he played in, they count the entire season.

He missed a few games, and you were terrible without him, so by techincal definition, he was hurting his team by not being able to play, making him INvaluable.

Also, because they count stats for the whole season, he will not come close to consideration unless he finishes in a flurry.

As it stands now, they typically judge QBs based on yardage, TD passes, completion % and rating. He is 3rd in QB rating, but that is to be expected, because if you play less, you have less chance of screwing up.

His rank in the other 3 categories aren't even close to being good enough to sway MVP voters......
18th in passing yards
8th in TD passes

If it was based on actual value to your team, he'd have a shot. However, we all know enough to know the voting doesn't work that way.

Based on the argument a lot of you are using about most value to the team, Tom Brady should be the run away winner.
:laugh2:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sandtrapp;2442982 said:
Hate to say it, but I think B.Favre should get some major consideration.
He's done wonders for The Jets and if they take the division and get to the SB ,well, I can see it.

:signmast:

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Extreme;2443198 said:

18th in passing yards
8th in TD passes

1)18th in passing yards Yet he's 2nd in YPA!
2)11th in completion percentage Waaaay over-rated stat. Bottom line is he's 3rd in QB RATING!
3)8th in TD passes Actually he's tied for 7th, and only 5 TD's behind the leader.
4)Is there any rule for a minimum amount of games you can play to be considered? Well Emmitt Smith won the MVP in 1993 after missing the first 2 games and most of third with an injury.

ELOHSSA TROLL FAILS!

Daudr

Reaction score
If we manage to go 12-4 I think he would be a shoe-in for MVP.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Warner is very worthy....if he wasn't starting on that team, they'd be struggling. Leinart? C'mon. The Cards would be lucky to have 4 wins with Leinart in there.

However, I think we'd have only 2 losses had Romo been starting all year.

At THIS POINT, I'd give it to Warner.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Remember, less than 2 weeks ago, Football Outsiders was saying he won't even make the Pro Bowl. But I agree with pretty much everybody else that if we win out, he's the MVP hands down.

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2443237 said:
1)18th in passing yards Yet he's 2nd in YPA!
2)11th in completion percentage Waaaay over-rated stat. Bottom line is he's 3rd in QB RATING!
3)8th in TD passes Actually he's tied for 7th, and only 5 TD's behind the leader.
4)Is there any rule for a minimum amount of games you can play to be considered? Well Emmitt Smith won the MVP in 1993 after missing the first 2 games and most of third with an injury.

ELOHSSA TROLL FAILS!

1. NOBODY looks at YPA, because it's an irrelevant statistic.
2. You say completion precentage is overrated, but brag that he leads in QB rating? Talk about an overrated stat. 99% of people can't tell you what it means without googling it. That, and it's only existed for about 10 years.
3. I was asking if there was a required minimum, not saying there was. Learn to read, interpret, and differentiate.

UNCLEVER COWBOY HOMER FAILS!

Daudr

Reaction score
percyhoward;2443311 said:
Remember, less than 2 weeks ago, Football Outsiders was saying he won't even make the Pro Bowl. But I agree with pretty much everybody else that if we win out, he's the MVP hands down.

He probably still won't make the Pro Bowl. The problem with the Pro Bowl is that the voting ends like 3 weeks before the season is over. At least with MVP it's after the last game of the regular season.