Should Tony Romo receive consideration for MVP?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2443559 said:
He is unique - but my point is that you can't say he's an MVP type because we suck when he's gone. MVP is about what you do when you are on the field. Not fantasies about what would happen when you are gone

ok fine, what happens when he is on the field? he's 19-5 as a starter in the regular season this yr and last yr. His numbers are outstanding.

Meant to say we'd be better than 6-10 with a decent backup.

maybe, maybe not...again Romo does make alot of people look better than they are, especially the OL

He is the better player. But this game isn't about fantasy stats. It is about wins. And Manning is kicking Romo's butt in that department.

He's 10-1, Romo's 6-2 this yr. Missed 3 games. Who knows, maybe he goes 3-0 in those games, in which case both Romo and Manning are 9-2.

And last year we were 13-3 and pretty much every starter on our team made the probowl. Good teams get their players in the probowl. Mediocre teams don't.

this isnt about that, its about saying which QB deserves a por bowl berth more. Romo or Manning. If Romo stays healthy and we finish 11-5 or 12-4 and he continues to post these same kind of numbers, he should go to the probowl.

You play too much "what if," Dave. If Romo had a better OL. If he had a better running game. Please. The QB who leads the best team in the NFL has a serious and legit claim on being in the pro bowl, especially given that he's got a 90+PR.

I'm not playing "what if" about anything. Romo is the better QB. He's extremely valuable to this team.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
This thread is the epitome of the ridiculous homer Cowboys fan thread.

I cant believe someone could even think Romo would be in the top 10 for consideration. Absolutely laughable. He played well vs Cle and well enough to win vs GB, Wash, and the niners...dude. His turnovers and whatever leadership funk he was in for many and much of this season greatly....greatly contributed to this team underperforming.

Having said all that, I think the time off may have done him well, and it does appear the "jedi" is back, and we need him. But to think that he is even remotely in the MVP conversation is just ridiculous. (proof of this, if you simply want to see me as a "hater"....lies in the fact that not ONE, NOT ONE legitimate writer/journalist that covers the NFL has him even in the conversation.

This thread may as well be about whether my car can fly to the moon if I use a mixture of super premium gasoline, flour, nuclear waste, and gumballs.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Extreme;2443198 said:
Ok, relax homers. We all know the voting is a joke anyway. How often does the most deserving player ever get it?

One thing you seem to be missing, is they do not count games that he played in, they count the entire season.

He missed a few games, and you were terrible without him, so by techincal definition, he was hurting his team by not being able to play, making him INvaluable.

Also, because they count stats for the whole season, he will not come close to consideration unless he finishes in a flurry.

As it stands now, they typically judge QBs based on yardage, TD passes, completion % and rating. He is 3rd in QB rating, but that is to be expected, because if you play less, you have less chance of screwing up.

His rank in the other 3 categories aren't even close to being good enough to sway MVP voters......
18th in passing yards
11th in completion percentage
8th in TD passes

If it was based on actual value to your team, he'd have a shot. However, we all know enough to know the voting doesn't work that way.

Is there any rule for a minimum amount of games you can play to be considered?

Based on the argument a lot of you are using about most value to the team, Tom Brady should be the run away winner.

wow. Do any Commanders fans actually understand football and everything that goes on within the league.

everyone of them that comes here has no idea what the rules of the game are, dont actually know their own roster and they are constantly making themselves look silly in posts like this one.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2443505 said:
The 6-10 stuff is stupid. Gee, if the team didn't have Romo we'd suck. Why? Because we don't have a legitimate backup. If we had a decent backup we'd be better without him. That's not about Romo but about bad personnel decisions behind him.

Romo DOES have better numbers than Manning. But not by such a wide margin that he's dominating Manning. And outcome-wise, Mannings' team is doing far better.

Romo has better numbers in 3 less games yet he shouldn't be voted in ahead of him???

Check please.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If Romo takes us to the promised land and does well in the playoffs then he has a chance. It's not the MVP but the player who does the most with the least and still does very well. Popularity, numbers and team success are the biggest factors. So Romo has a chance esp if we win out. Then we will be on top of the world again.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967;2443568 said:
AbeBeta;2443559 said:
ok fine, what happens when he is on the field? he's 19-5 as a starter in the regular season this yr and last yr. His numbers are outstanding.

And what happens when Manning's on the field? Are you seriously taking that stance?

dbair1967;2443568 said:
He's 10-1, Romo's 6-2 this yr. Missed 3 games. Who knows, maybe he goes 3-0 in those games, in which case both Romo and Manning are 9-2.

who knows... maybe...

dbair1967;2443568 said:
this isnt about that, its about saying which QB deserves a por bowl berth more. Romo or Manning. If Romo stays healthy and we finish 11-5 or 12-4 and he continues to post these same kind of numbers, he should go to the probowl.

if if if... that's a ton of if

dbair1967;2443568 said:
I'm not playing "what if" about anything. Romo is the better QB. He's extremely valuable to this team.

Really. Seems like most of your post was if this and if that all over the place. Romo is the better QB. But he's missed time and his team is not performing at the level of Manning's. To deny Manning credit it to simply admit that all you care about are fantasy stats.

Simply put, Manning is putting up numbers comparable to one of Troy Aikman's probowl seasons. Why did Troy get in? Dominant numbers? No. Outstanding teams. Yes. Simply put, you win and you deserve to be in.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2443637 said:
Romo has better numbers in 3 less games yet he shouldn't be voted in ahead of him???

Check please.

Check the RECORD, please.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2443690 said:
dbair1967;2443568 said:
And what happens when Manning's on the field? Are you seriously taking that stance?

he plays well, but he isnt as good as Romo

Really. Seems like most of your post was if this and if that all over the place. Romo is the better QB. But he's missed time and his team is not performing at the level of Manning's. To deny Manning credit it to simply admit that all you care about are fantasy stats.

I'm actually one who believes in alot of cases stats are for losers, but when it comes to Romo his stats are excellent almost every week and we are a far better team with him on the field.

Simply put, Manning is putting up numbers comparable to one of Troy Aikman's probowl seasons. Why did Troy get in? Dominant numbers? No. Outstanding teams. Yes. Simply put, you win and you deserve to be in.

Being in the probowl is not just about QB-ing a winning team, by your argument Kerry Collins should be the probowl starter in the AFC right?

Aikman was a probowl QB because he was an outstanding player. It wouldnt have made any difference what team he was with, he'd have still had a great career and still been a probowler. In fact in alot of cases had he played elsewhere his numbers were have probably been far better.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2442930 said:
I know Kurt Warner has been the flavor of the week lately, but Romo is the third rated passer in the NFL, has been 6-2 as a starter, and is not far behind on passing yards, in spite of missing three games. His stats are very comparable right now with Warner, other than the passing yards due to the missed games.

The award is given to the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER to his team. I think it's pretty obvious to everyone in America just how valuable Romo is to the Dallas Cowboys after the Johnson affair. The Cowboys would have trouble competing on the college level without him.

So, if he continues his high level of play, and leads this team to the playoffs with a respectable record, should he be considered for MVP? His statistics should be comparable (with Warner's) by seasons end, even while playing with a splint on his throwing hand. In fact, a couple more games like Sunday, and even the media may start to consider him.

No, but Kyle Koiser should. :laugh2:

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
MVP is a political award. The media talks about it a lot because it is a media award, picked by them. It is something they control, unlike the outcome of games.

romoluv

Reaction score
IF the Cowboys make the playoffs.....Romo's decision to sit out and heal his pinkie could be his BEST decision ever! Just ask Brady Quinn.....

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
TEUFELI;2443613 said:
This thread is the epitome of the ridiculous homer Cowboys fan thread.

I cant believe someone could even think Romo would be in the top 10 for consideration.
Absolutely laughable. .

Its one thing to say that others deserve the MVP more than he does, which I would say that there a few that do.

But to say that he isn't even in the conversation is dumb. He is by far, the most valuable player on this team. Of course we need others on this team to be good as well, but he plays such a crucial position and he does it so well that his absence is noticed more than someone else's absence.

And "IF"(this is where I would put my only "IF") the Cowboys were to win out or only lose 1 more and he keeps up the numbers that he has...you definitely have to put him in the conversation with Brett Favre, Manning, Warner and others.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Extreme;2443328 said:
1. NOBODY looks at YPA, because it's an irrelevant statistic.
2. You say completion precentage is overrated, but brag that he leads in QB rating? Talk about an overrated stat. 99% of people can't tell you what it means without googling it. That, and it's only existed for about 10 years.
3. I was asking if there was a required minimum, not saying there was. Learn to read, interpret, and differentiate.

UNCLEVER COWBOY HOMER FAILS!

Nobody looks at YPA? - Irrelevant Statistic - you are making yourself look like an idiot! Maybe no Commander fans look at YPA because Campbell is one of the lowest YPA.

Completion percentage is not overated but when you are averaging close to 65% it is considered excellent by any means and just in the last 2 years have we seen numbers over 65%.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Extreme;2443328 said:
2. You say completion precentage is overrated, but brag that he leads in QB rating? Talk about an overrated stat. 99% of people can't tell you what it means without googling it. That, and it's only existed for about 10 years.
3. I was asking if there was a required minimum, not saying there was. Learn to read, interpret, and differentiate.

CLEVER COWBOY FAN IS ABOUT TO TEAR ME A NEW ELOHSSA!

FIXED THAT FOR YOU!

TYPICAL Commander MORON.

1) YPA is huge. It's the single best indicator of how efficient a passing game is.

2) Never said QB rating was the end all be all. But it is 50 times better a measuring stick of how a QB is performinmg than comp%. Most educated fans realize this

3) No problem reading or interpreting. My interpretation of your last point as a jab at Romo's MVP credibility having missed three games was reasonable since that was the reason you friggen posted inthe first place, you moron!

In summation: You have brought nothing to the table and WERE WRONG ON ALL THREE POINTS! BUZZZZZZZZZZ THANK YOU FOR PLAYING!

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Extreme said:
FIXED THAT FOR YOU![/SIZE][/B]

CLEVER COWBOY FAN IS ABOUT TO TEAR ME A NEW ELOHSSA!!
YPA is one of the most important passing stats. QBs who have good YPAs are those who complete longer passes at a higher %. A hack like Jason Campbell has a YPA far less than Romo's because Campbell completes little other than short passes. Romo not only completes a high %, he does so for significantly more yards per completion. Their are few stats more relevant for an offense.

QB rating has been around for about 30 years. And it's no conicidence that the highest rated QBs are mostly HOF-caliber players. Or that Romo - probably about a year from now - will be the highest rated QB of all time.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967;2443937 said:
I'm actually one who believes in alot of cases stats are for losers, but when it comes to Romo his stats are excellent almost every week and we are a far better team with him on the field.

You could say pretty much every team is a far better team with their starter on the field compared to their backup. That's kinda why they are, you know, starters.

dbair1967;2443937 said:
Being in the probowl is not just about QB-ing a winning team, by your argument Kerry Collins should be the probowl starter in the AFC right?

Kerry Collins is having nowhere near the season that Manning is. Manning is having a very good year. Collins is simply driving the bus

dbair1967;2443937 said:
Aikman was a probowl QB because he was an outstanding player. It wouldnt have made any difference what team he was with, he'd have still had a great career and still been a probowler. In fact in alot of cases had he played elsewhere his numbers were have probably been far better.

Like it or not, Manning is showing that he's an outstanding player. He doesn't play in a pass obsessed offense. So your Aikman argument unfortunately supports Manning.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2444238 said:
YPA is one of the most important passing stats. QBs who have good YPAs are those who complete longer passes at a higher %. A hack like Jason Campbell has a YPA far less than Romo's because Campbell completes little other than short passes. Romo not only completes a high %, he does so for significantly more yards per completion. Their are few stats more relevant for an offense.

QB rating has been around for about 30 years. And it's no conicidence that the highest rated QBs are mostly HOF-caliber players. Or that Romo - probably about a year from now - will be the highest rated QB of all time.

Always felt Comp% was over rated. You look at the QB stats and just about every QB has a comp% in the 60's. Granted if your approching or are at 70%, that QB is probably having a good year and if your under 60%, you probably have some accuaracy issues.

So its an OK gage. Problem I have is that's its over-weighted in the curent QB rating system.

Who had the better season:

QB A - 336/480/3840 70%COMP 8.0YPA 32TD 16INT
QB B - 288/480/4320 60%COMP 9.0YPA 32TD 16INT

Clearly QB B had the better season.

If I could change the prevailing QB rating method, I'd take COMP% out. Go with YPA, %TD and %INT. In fact I'd take it a step further and credit the QB for all points scored when he's on the field, with perhaps a double weighting for the points scored via a pass.

That would give you the best statistical measurement of how a QB performs. Still wouldn't take into account the level of talent played with and competiton faced, but it would give you a better interpretation of the stats.

OMT - Almost 100% certain Romo has lead the NFL in YPA (8.3 career) since his 2006 start.

superpunk

Reaction score
Extreme;2443328 said:
I think I'm going to re-post this in every thread I see you in, just so everyone can understand what level of stupid they're dealing with here.

It's approaching legendary levels.