Should we draft a RB in the first round next year

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BlueStar22 said:
uh, NO!

Besides, unlike the NBA, the guys have to have 3 years of college. So Peterson a no go.
I wasn't saying he would be available. I guess I should have specified that better.

He is the only RB I'd consider in round 1 this year, and since he won't be available pass on RB.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I don't know about you guys but I want an insurance policy if Julius Jones doesn't work out. RB is the second most important position on offense and a vital aspect to any teams' success. Steve Young said it best last Sunday when he said that it's bad when we were unstable at both the QB and RB position. Young said that most noncontending teams are deficient in one or the other but that it's bad we are not stable in either position. I feel good about Drew Henson being on board but I'm not so sure about Julius Jones.

Julius Jones has done nothing to convince me that he isn't capable of leading this team. However, I just have a bad feeling about the guy. Upon reading his scouting reports, several criticized his work ethic and consistency in college. Now, I'm aware that many other scouting reports stated that he overcame his initial problems with his work ethic. Still, at the NFL leve, work ethic and health are even more important factors than they were in college. So, I'm not aboslutely confident that we can rely on him next year.

Do you think we should draft a Cadillac Williams next year or another RB? What's your take?
Only if he's the best player available in the draft and we have no one else we want....otherwise we'd better not move down to get him...there are plenty of areas where we need a player, and we could have had our RB last year, or skipped it all together and used the #42 pick on a player at another position...I see no way in hell we use a number 1 pick on any RB this year.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Leading Rushers NFL

1 P. Holmes (ufa)
2. C. Brown (3rd round)
3. T. Barber (2nd round)
4. S. Alexander (1st round)
5. A. Green (5th round)
6. D. Staley (3rd round)
7. C. Martin (3rd round)
8. E. James (1st round)
9. C. Portis (2nd round)
10 L. Tomlinson (1st round)

This is the current top ten rusher so far this season

1st Rounders = 3
2nd Rounders = 2
3rd Rounders = 3
5th Rounders = 1
Undrafted = 1

Of the top 5 only 1 is a 1st rounder so there goes that theory

ctalker

Reaction score
Stick to your draft board. However, if a franchise type of back is there then grab him in the 1st, if not get one in the later rounds.

Smith22

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I don't know about you guys but I want an insurance policy if Julius Jones doesn't work out. RB is the second most important position on offense and a vital aspect to any teams' success. Steve Young said it best last Sunday when he said that it's bad when we were unstable at both the QB and RB position. Young said that most noncontending teams are deficient in one or the other but that it's bad we are not stable in either position. I feel good about Drew Henson being on board but I'm not so sure about Julius Jones.

Julius Jones has done nothing to convince me that he isn't capable of leading this team. However, I just have a bad feeling about the guy. Upon reading his scouting reports, several criticized his work ethic and consistency in college. Now, I'm aware that many other scouting reports stated that he overcame his initial problems with his work ethic. Still, at the NFL leve, work ethic and health are even more important factors than they were in college. So, I'm not aboslutely confident that we can rely on him next year.

Do you think we should draft a Cadillac Williams next year or another RB? What's your take?
Impossible to answer right now. Give JJ time to get healthy and see how he performs down the stretch. If he has more injury problems or doesn't produce, then you have to consider taking a RB day one if they are the BPA.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that theory is quite dead yet. Here are the top 10 rushing champions for the past 3 years. 61% of the top 10 rushers for the past three years were drafted in the first round. And nearly all of these players were drafted in the first three rounds. Ahman Green was the only 5th round pick to break the top 10. Stephen Davis was the only player from the 4th round to break into the top 10. And Priest Holmes was the only undrafted player. I think it's safe to say that Holmes is an anomaly. Therefore, statistically speaking your odds of drafting a top 10 rusher is the the greatest if you select a first round pick. If you are depending on finding a great RB past the second round, the odds aren't in your favor statistically speaking.

Top 10 rushers of the 2003 season

1. Jamal Lewis (first round)
2. Ahman Green (5th round)
3. L. Tomlinson (first round)
4. D. McAllister (first round)
5. C. Portis (second round)
6. Fred Taylor (first round)
7. Stephen Davis (fourth round)
8. S. Alexander (first round)
9. Priest Holmes (undrafted)
10. R. Williams (first round)

7/10 were first round picks = 70% were first round picks

Top 10 rushers of the 2002 season
1. R. Williams (first round)
2. L. Tomlinson (first round)
3. P. Holmes (undrafted)
4. C. Portis (second round)
5. Travis Henry (second round)
6. D. McAllister (first round)
7. Tiki Barber (second round)
8. Jamal Lewis (first round)
9. Fred Taylor (first round)
10. Corey Dillon (second round)

5/10 were in the first round

Top 10 rushers in 2001
1. Priest Holmes (undrafted)
2. C Martin (3rd round)
3. S Davis (fourth round)
4. A Green (fifth round)
5. M. Faulk (first round)
6. S. Alexander (first round)
7. C. Dillon (second round)
8. R. Williams (first round)
9. L. Tomlinson (first round)
10. Garrison Hearst (first round)

5/10 first round picks

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One thing I will disagree with is the notion that you drafted a RB last year so you don't draft another this year. You draft player who can help your team, last time I looked the Dallas running game was still having problems. Granted Jones has been hurt which only leads to more question of have we solved our RB problem. As for giving Jones time to prove himself I have no problem with that but if we exit the season with major doubts at RB then you do what needs to be done to solve that problem and if that means keeping Jones and drafting another RB then so be it.

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
I am sorry but if Benson is sitting there whenever we pick i would love to take him unless someone bowls me over with an outstanding offer for that pick and or player. But then again do i want JJ wheeling and dealing and making me nervous AGAIN on draft day.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
jdnalls said:
No. There's no reason to draft another Rb next year.

Let's face it... we had a chance at a damn good Rb and passed.

No we didn't... There were no "DAMN GOOD" backs in this years draft. I don't know who you've been watching but not a single one of them has set the world on fire and most of them have been injured also. :eek:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And see I don't see "Cadillac" or Benson being franchise backs. Too many times has Benson disappeared against good teams. I think Julius Jones when it comes right down to it has as good a tools as Benson.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think the main focus in the offseason and the draft should be on defense, with emphasis on continuing to overhaul the front 7 and get more depth at corner and look for a true starting free safety.

I do think they should look at a tailback, just as an extra extra precautionary measure. But, I'd like to see them get a Mewelde Moore or Quentin Griffith type if they are available in the 4th or 5th round.

Rich......................

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
And see I don't see "Cadillac" or Benson being franchise backs. Too many times has Benson disappeared against good teams. I think Julius Jones when it comes right down to it has as good a tools as Benson.

Benson has not done that this year, last season he started slow this season Benson has shown he is a top notch RB. I'd take him any day of the week. He has good size and speed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I think the main focus in the offseason and the draft should be on defense, with emphasis on continuing to overhaul the front 7 and get more depth at corner and look for a true starting free safety.

I do think they should look at a tailback, just as an extra extra precautionary measure. But, I'd like to see them get a Mewelde Moore or Quentin Griffith type if they are available in the 4th or 5th round.

Rich......................

Those type of RB are good if you have a top RB already on your team, they make for a good change of pace but they are not going to be key players who will get a true running game going.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
Broken Ribs

Broken chicken wing

He needs to drink milk. We need to draft DT/CB/LB day 1 - maybe WR

Don't you mean DT/LB/WR day 1 -maybe CB? LOL

Just yanking your chain a little Nors.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Those type of RB are good if you have a top RB already on your team, they make for a good change of pace but they are not going to be key players who will get a true running game going.

The roster already has Julius Jones and Rashard Lee. Both showed promise and figure to get more playing time. On top of that, there's still Eddie George and Eric Bickerstaff.

My feeling is that you want a change of pace/3rd down back if you can get one and if something happens to both Jones and Lee, they can always pick up the slack for a few weeks.

And in case you didn't notice, that Mewelde Moore guy is running the ball pretty damn well so far.

Rich...............

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
The roster already has Julius Jones and Rashard Lee. Both showed promise and figure to get more playing time. On top of that, there's still Eddie George and Eric Bickerstaff.

My feeling is that you want a change of pace/3rd down back if you can get one and if something happens to both Jones and Lee, they can always pick up the slack for a few weeks.

And in case you didn't notice, that Mewelde Moore guy is running the ball pretty damn well so far.

Rich...............

As I said in an earlier post if Jones can return and show something then it does become a bit of a different story but if we end the season still with a major question mark then I feel the best thing to do is address the issue and not with a 4th or 5th round RB. Myself I think the position is too important not address it if question still linger.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree with most here. I like what JJ has. There is really no question in my mind that he has what it takes to be succesful in the NFL. There is a question of health as in can he stay that way but as far as talent goes, he's got it IMO.

Having said that, I really like Benson. I have watched him closely for some time and I see all the tools required for the next level.

The kid from OU? Don't get me started. Shoulda come to Texas. He didn't. As far as I'm concerned, I can't wait for him to leave OU. Some team will be very lucky to get him if he can stay healthy. Runs a little upright but he's got unbelievable skills. I watch him run and he actually reminds me of Jim Brown. They have simular running styles. Not saying he's Jim Brown. Just saying when I watch him, I see Jim Browns style there. He's going to be a real nice player for some lucky team. Probably not us. Hope it's somebody in the AFC.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

he hasnt done anything because he hasnt played...its premature to suggest that we definitely use a high pick on a RB, lets see waht he does first...I hope he plays and plays well, but if not there are 3 or 4 really good RB prospects this yr and we'll certainly be in position to nab one if needed...

I love Cadillac Williams, but his teammate Ronnie Brown might end up being the better RB in the NFL...Brown is bigger, might be faster and has great hands

I think the first 4 or 5 RB's picked in this upcoming draft are all better talents than anyone who came out last yr

David

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
As I said in an earlier post if Jones can return and show something then it does become a bit of a different story but if we end the season still with a major question mark then I feel the best thing to do is address the issue and not with a 4th or 5th round RB. Myself I think the position is too important not address it if question still linger.

I'm not sure that Jones' success or lack thereof this season, coming off two freakish injuries, can be labeled as a question mark. What if he just averages 4 yards a carry? Plus, Rashard Lee has looked pretty good when he's gotten the opportunity.

To me, it's just too hasty to give up on your early 2nd round pick after one season.

Rich................

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I'm not sure that Jones' success or lack thereof this season, coming off two freakish injuries, can be labeled as a question mark. What if he just averages 4 yards a carry? Plus, Rashard Lee has looked pretty good when he's gotten the opportunity.

To me, it's just too hasty to give up on your early 2nd round pick after one season.

Rich................

I'm not giving up on Jones but he will have to show himself this season, face it RB is not a position that it takes time to prove weather you can do the job or not. Tomlinson showed it on day 1, Faulk showed it as well and so did Emmitt and Tony Dorsett as most great backs do. It is a position where guys play off instinct and either you got it or you don't and it does not take 2 or 3 years to see it. I would love to see Jones get healthy and show he is the back who can lead the Dallas ground attack but he has to show it and I hope he does I would much rather be able to address other needs on this team than to get another RB but the poistion is too important not to address if major question marks still hang over our heads at the end of the season.