Should we draft a RB in the first round next year

lkelly

Reaction score
Won't there be several decent backs available in the offseason?

Unless I'm mistaken, Dallas could make a run at Rudi Johnson, Travis Henry, or Lamont Jordan. I don't think any of those guys are signed for the 2005 season. Sign one of them for mor vet insurance and let 'em compete with Julius. If there's anything obvious about the current NFL it is that you have to have more than one starting quality RB. Heck, a good example is the Pats from this last Sunday. They held out Dillon and they ran for something like single digits. Philly has been flirting with the Devil, and so far it hasn't come back to haunt them. You can bet they'll either sign one of the above guys or draft a RB in the first three rounds next season.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'd build the defense up. Our defense would be immensely better if we had someone pushing up the middle or someone who could get to the quarterback consistently. That would solve part of our corner problems.

There aren't any top 10 backs out there. (Excluding Peterson who can't come out)
For some reason, Cadillac looks to brittle to me. He's fast but runs high. I'm not quite sure about Benson.

Now if they slip that's another matter.

I'm higher on Ronnie Brown, but I suspect every else is too. He may go before Cadillac.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Stick with Julius and Reshard until there is a hope of Adrian Peterson then go get him.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
lkelly said:
Won't there be several decent backs available in the offseason?

Unless I'm mistaken, Dallas could make a run at Rudi Johnson, Travis Henry, or Lamont Jordan. I don't think any of those guys are signed for the 2005 season. Sign one of them for mor vet insurance and let 'em compete with Julius. If there's anything obvious about the current NFL it is that you have to have more than one starting quality RB. Heck, a good example is the Pats from this last Sunday. They held out Dillon and they ran for something like single digits. Philly has been flirting with the Devil, and so far it hasn't come back to haunt them. You can bet they'll either sign one of the above guys or draft a RB in the first three rounds next season.
And lkelly sums up why. We've already invested a 2nd round pick in a RB. Let's see how he pans out before asking whether we should draft a RB in the 1st round next year. Again, there will be more free agents available in 2005 and I bet we actually spend some $ this time around. Look at Pittsburgh...they signed FA Duce Staley and used their 1st rounder on Big Ben. Do you think they would be winning all these games with Maddox/St. Pierre and Steven Jackson in the backfield? Case Closed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Stick with Julius and Reshard until there is a hope of Adrian Peterson then go get him.

I would hope we would be in a position that we are not drafting that high in the 1st round 2 or 3 years from now. Peterson is a very good back but Dallas can't wait 2 or 3 years for a running game. Hopefully Jones is the guy that is unknown at this point but if he is not the ansewer there is no way Dallas can just sit on their hands and hope to get Peterson 2 or 3 years down the line.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
If we're in a position to get a highly rated RB in the 1st, I wouldn't pass on it.
I seriously don't think Reshard Lee is going to be a top notch RB in this league.

I hope Julius comes back soon so we can see what he's got. He could be the answer, but if we we're still uncertain at the end of the season, then I would be in favor of getting a RB high in the draft (preferably with our 2nd #1 pick).

Eskimo

Reaction score
RB almost isn't a premium position in the NFL anymore. There are few true difference makers at this position - Holmes, Tomlinson, JLewis are the true elite. If we could get a back of that caliber then that's great. Otherwise, there are plenty of 2nd tier quality backs that can be found in the 2nd-4th rounds consistently. I don't see an elite RB prospect this year so I say pass on the first rounder.

I am happy with the potential at QB/RB with Henson/Jones/Lee. I'm also happy at TE (Witten/Campbell) and OL. Our WR core is old and lacks a true #1 WR as Glenn and Key are more #2 WRs at this point in their careers and Morgan is a #3 guy. Crayton never figures to be more than a #3 guy with some PR/KR possibilities. Thus, if a #1 WR (MWilliams, BEdwards) is high on our board when we are picking in the 1st, that would be quite acceptable to me. Otherwise, I would look for the best front 7 player available and make him the pick. At least 2 of our top 3 picks should be spent on the front 7 because our group is very weak and there are no young studs waiting in the wings. We have not spent a first or second round pick on the front 7 since 1999 and that one was spent on Ekuban. It is a position we have neglected for far too long.

If an edge rusher is high on the board, that should really be our first priority. Today's NFL is won and lost through the air and with the new restrictions on DB play, getting pressure has become even more imperative.

A second priority would be DT. I know a lot of people here talk about the need to get the space-eater DT in the draft and think Glover should be fine at the 1-technique. I think Glover has definitely started to decline and that is one of the reasons the D is weaker this year. I would be more apt to spend the high first rounder on a penetrating disruptive DT and then try to find the space eater in FA.
The new guy could split snaps with Glover next year and then take over in 2006 full time.

I wouldn't be disappointed if one of the first round picks (10-20 but no top-10 picks) was spent on one of the highly rated LBs - Brooks or DJohnson. Both look like they can be impact players.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I would hope we would be in a position that we are not drafting that high in the 1st round 2 or 3 years from now. Peterson is a very good back but Dallas can't wait 2 or 3 years for a running game. Hopefully Jones is the guy that is unknown at this point but if he is not the ansewer there is no way Dallas can just sit on their hands and hope to get Peterson 2 or 3 years down the line.
I am hoping we have done something the year before to acquire an extra 1st round draft choice just like this year. That way we can use the 2 choices to move up for him, or if one is already high enough simply choose him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I am hoping we have done something the year before to acquire an extra 1st round draft choice just like this year. That way we can use the 2 choices to move up for him, or if one is already high enough simply choose him.

Just seems pretty far fetched to think that 2 or 3 years from now you can go out and get a particular player, there are 31 other teams out there as well and getting 2 picks a year is highly unlikely. Heck I hope your right the kid looks outstanding but I don't think you can just stay put and not address a position like RB for that length of time. I would hope Jones can do the job but that is purely a guess right now, if he can come back and show himself as a legit option then that bodes well for this team but if he can't then you address the problem not sit and wait and hope that Peterson will be there when we draft 2 or 3 years from now.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Just seems pretty far fetched to think that 2 or 3 years from now you can go out and get a particular player, there are 31 other teams out there as well and getting 2 picks a year is highly unlikely. Heck I hope your right the kid looks outstanding but I don't think you can just stay put and not address a position like RB for that length of time. I would hope Jones can do the job but that is purely a guess right now, if he can come back and show himself as a legit option then that bodes well for this team but if he can't then you address the problem not sit and wait and hope that Peterson will be there when we draft 2 or 3 years from now.
In my opinion we did address RB this year, he just got hurt.

Far fetched is fine with me when I'm dreaming. :D Think grand Dooms.

I don't want to even think about passing on Stephen Jackson, taking Julius Jones, and then drafting Cadillac or Cedric in the first this year.

I would rather have taken Jackson this year and have only 1 choice (ours) this year.

That's thinking in the past and it is defeatest. I am not a defeatest. I have to believe they knew what they were doing in passing on Jackson and drafting Julius.

I'm willing to wait until he's healthy before I need to panic on RB in 2005.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:
In my opinion we did address RB this year, he just got hurt.

Far fetched is fine with me when I'm dreaming. :D Think grand Dooms.

I don't want to even think about passing on Stephen Jackson, taking Julius Jones, and then drafting Cadillac or Cedric in the first this year.

I would rather have taken Jackson this year and have only 1 choice (ours) this year.

That's thinking in the past and it is defeatest. I am not a defeatest. I have to believe they knew what they were doing in passing on Jackson and drafting Julius.

I'm willing to wait until he's healthy before I need to panic on RB in 2005.

I was not over impressed by any of the RB candidates but did feel we needed to bring in a RB and with the additional 1st rd pick and getting Jones I still feel was worth the risk. Having said that Jones needs to show something before this season is done. If he does then this team can set their sights on other needs but if not then I feel it is too important of a position not to do any thing about it. Too me it just does not make a lot of sense to say we should have drafted so and so last year so we will punish ourselfs by not drafting the same position the following year. either you need help at a position or you don't and if you do then do something about it.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
You grab the best player available. Exhibit A: This year's draft. Pittsburgh wasn't looking for a QB, & at their pick, no way did they think any of the studs would be available. Roethlisberger slips to 15, & they jumped. They already had a decent QB & had a bunch of other needs. Gonna say they should have passed on Big Ben & taken a player they "needed?" Right now, a bunch of teams ahead of them in the draft are looking pretty foolish (wonder if ol' Joe Gibbs doesn't wish he'd snagged Ben instead of head-case Sean). I'm guessing probably no. Right now they look like geniuses. If any team locks themself into a mindset that they only draft what they need, they're gonna make some dumb moves. Plus, with RBs--as has been beaten into the ground before--that's a really dicey pick. I've seen too many "can't miss" RBs do just that; then a low-rounder like Curtis Martin becomes a shoo-in Hall of Famer. Now, that doesn't preclude picking up an RB in free agency. But again, look at Sunday. Dillon was a genius move on the part of the Pats, according to many. Now the guy is out for some time, & the Pats are looking like a much different, suddenly beatable, team. That's also why I'd hate to write off Julius Jones just yet. Yes, he got injured. So have a slew of other players. A lot of people (including me) said the Eagles made a mistake by picking up injury-prone Kearse. All of a sudden, he's Mr. Invincible. But you can't give up on the kid when he's only played a couple of games.

Gah

Benched
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
You grab the best player available. Exhibit A: This year's draft. Pittsburgh wasn't looking for a QB, & at their pick, no way did they think any of the studs would be available. Roethlisberger slips to 15, & they jumped. They already had a decent QB & had a bunch of other needs. Gonna say they should have passed on Big Ben & taken a player they "needed?" Right now, a bunch of teams ahead of them in the draft are looking pretty foolish (wonder if ol' Joe Gibbs doesn't wish he'd snagged Ben instead of head-case Sean). I'm guessing probably no. Right now they look like geniuses. If any team locks themself into a mindset that they only draft what they need, they're gonna make some dumb moves. Plus, with RBs--as has been beaten into the ground before--that's a really dicey pick. I've seen too many "can't miss" RBs do just that; then a low-rounder like Curtis Martin becomes a shoo-in Hall of Famer. Now, that doesn't preclude picking up an RB in free agency. But again, look at Sunday. Dillon was a genius move on the part of the Pats, according to many. Now the guy is out for some time, & the Pats are looking like a much different, suddenly beatable, team. That's also why I'd hate to write off Julius Jones just yet. Yes, he got injured. So have a slew of other players. A lot of people (including me) said the Eagles made a mistake by picking up injury-prone Kearse. All of a sudden, he's Mr. Invincible. But you can't give up on the kid when he's only played a couple of games.

Actually, Pittsburgh DID want a QB and they were shooting for one in the first round. They just lucked out that Roth fell a few picks.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
There is no need to draft a running back in the 1st round, we have bigger needs to fill. Though I'm not opposed to taking a back later in the draft. Clarrett in my opinion is going to be available in the later rounds, he has shown enough natural talent to risk a third rounder(if one was aquired) or lower. Julius Jones is at this point an unproven comodity, but besides that if he was to miss any future time due to injury, having a capable back-up is essential. Not to mention competition amongst two young backs will bring out the best in both. But still any thing above a 3rd is too high.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gah said:
Actually, Pittsburgh DID want a QB and they were shooting for one in the first round. They just lucked out that Roth fell a few picks.
That's exactly what I was going to say as well. At one point hey were even trying to trade up to #7 to get him. No team was more relieved than they were when he was there at #11. I believe their choice came to the podium with a lot of time to spare on their 15 minutes.

They wanted him badly.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
4lifecowboy said:
There is no need to draft a running back in the 1st round, we have bigger needs to fill. Though I'm not opposed to taking a back later in the draft. Clarrett in my opinion is going to be available in the later rounds, he has shown enough natural talent to risk a third rounder(if one was aquired) or lower. Julius Jones is at this point an unproven comodity, but besides that if he was to miss any future time due to injury, having a capable back-up is essential. Not to mention competition amongst two young backs will bring out the best in both. But still any thing above a 3rd is too high.

Dallas ranks 23 in rushing offense I would consider that a need and a major need at that. I hope Jones comes back and shows the coaches and staff that no RB is needed next year but if not then RB does become a major need area for this team and a late rd pick is not the solution. Yes I know some backs have come out of latter rounds I also know that 2 of the best RB this team had where #1 draft choices and if that is what it takes to get a dominate RB in here then I say do it.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
4lifecowboy said:

Like I was telling the others, your argument makes the most sense. I understand all of that. We have so many needs elsewhere and Julius Jones has not proven that he is incapable of being a great back. Yes, we should observe Julius Jones first before we come to any conclusions. Personally, I'm leading toward selecting the cornerback Rolle out of Miami and Mike Williams the receiver from USC.

But I was just asking others to see the situation from another perspective. What if Julius Jones gives off bad vibes. What if he doesn't do anything this year and his injuries continue to be of concern. Faced with this situation, if you have the chance to draft a RB with true playmaking ability would you take him? I'm talking about a RB that has been universally appraised by scouts and doesn't really have a major downside or an area of concern? The reason why I brought this up is because the idea of going another year without having a great RB scares the heck out of me. At some point we have to address this. I just don't think it's reasonable to expect to find a solution to RB in later rounds. I know it's been done in the past but it is extremely rare statistically speaking. If you are going to draft a great RB, the odds are in your favor if you select him in the first round or at the very worst the second round.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
RB almost isn't a premium position in the NFL anymore. There are few true difference makers at this position - Holmes, Tomlinson, JLewis are the true elite. If we could get a back of that caliber then that's great. Otherwise, there are plenty of 2nd tier quality backs that can be found in the 2nd-4th rounds consistently. I don't see an elite RB prospect this year so I say pass on the first rounder.

I am happy with the potential at QB/RB with Henson/Jones/Lee. I'm also happy at TE (Witten/Campbell) and OL. Our WR core is old and lacks a true #1 WR as Glenn and Key are more #2 WRs at this point in their careers and Morgan is a #3 guy. Crayton never figures to be more than a #3 guy with some PR/KR possibilities. Thus, if a #1 WR (MWilliams, BEdwards) is high on our board when we are picking in the 1st, that would be quite acceptable to me. Otherwise, I would look for the best front 7 player available and make him the pick. At least 2 of our top 3 picks should be spent on the front 7 because our group is very weak and there are no young studs waiting in the wings. We have not spent a first or second round pick on the front 7 since 1999 and that one was spent on Ekuban. It is a position we have neglected for far too long.

If an edge rusher is high on the board, that should really be our first priority. Today's NFL is won and lost through the air and with the new restrictions on DB play, getting pressure has become even more imperative.

A second priority would be DT. I know a lot of people here talk about the need to get the space-eater DT in the draft and think Glover should be fine at the 1-technique. I think Glover has definitely started to decline and that is one of the reasons the D is weaker this year. I would be more apt to spend the high first rounder on a penetrating disruptive DT and then try to find the space eater in FA.
The new guy could split snaps with Glover next year and then take over in 2006 full time.

I wouldn't be disappointed if one of the first round picks (10-20 but no top-10 picks) was spent on one of the highly rated LBs - Brooks or DJohnson. Both look like they can be impact players.

Great post, if there is a great edge pass rusher, I think you would have to go with that.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Like I was telling the others, your argument makes the most sense. I understand all of that. We have so many needs elsewhere and Julius Jones has not proven that he is incapable of being a great back. Yes, we should observe Julius Jones first before we come to any conclusions. Personally, I'm leading toward selecting the cornerback Rolle out of Miami and Mike Williams the receiver from USC.

But I was just asking others to see the situation from another perspective. What if Julius Jones gives off bad vibes. What if he doesn't do anything this year and his injuries continue to be of concern. Faced with this situation, if you have the chance to draft a RB with true playmaking ability would you take him? I'm talking about a RB that has been universally appraised by scouts and doesn't really have a major downside or an area of concern? The reason why I brought this up is because the idea of going another year without having a great RB scares the heck out of me. At some point we have to address this. I just don't think it's reasonable to expect to find a solution to RB in later rounds. I know it's been done in the past but it is extremely rare statistically speaking. If you are going to draft a great RB, the odds are in your favor if you select him in the first round or at the very worst the second round.

There isn't a back coming out this year that I would consider a surefire. Unless Peterson finds some loop hole that Clarrett and Williams missed, with the exception of cadillac being there when our second round pick rolls around, there is no reason to spend higher than a 3rd on a rb in next years draft.