Should we remain with Jarwin or get a new featured TE

fivetwos

Reaction score
I would personally like to have a system that features the strength of the team....the OL.

That being...heavy running w 21 and 20.

A two TE base set.

So yeah I'd go sign a TE and pair him w Jarwin.

Ball control, keep our crappy defense on the sidelines....the 2016 formula, if you will. Somehow we lost that and I'm still wondering why.

Id spend Coopers money on defense.

Resign 18, feature 13, and spend a mid rounder on this deep WR class.

Wont happen, but being a Cowboys fans isnt much beyond HOPE anymore.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
An inline TE would be nice. Dont know if Jarwin can fit that role. He would have to improve alot as a blocker. But unless you draft a day 1 star, Jarwin will still get most of the looks in tha passing game.

Im not 100% convinced that inline TE cant be Shultz. He didnt get much opportunity when Witten came back. However he looked decent in that role during his rookie season when Swaim went down

Lmao. People on here still care about blocking from a TE. Good lord.

quickccc

Reaction score
I find it funny, not ha ha funny, that there are some here who think with all the holes that will be needed to fill when many of the 25 UFA don't get resigned to waste a draft pick on a TE and then there are some who with the same UFA issue and cap space say sign a vet free agent TE. This is all before even the mini camp where McCarthy will see for the first time first hand what Jarwin capabilities are.
lol .. is that line from .“Carl ’ in the Sling blade movie ? :grin:

If you’re getting a highly regarded TE prospect that could be a Ertz, Kelce, Goebert, etc. in a position that is so essential to a young QB and sustaining offense, such a playmaker hope is
not a wasted pick, imo.
That TE need is also among the “ all holes to fill “ – and while yes, its’ still a matter of McCarthy evaluating Jarwin , it’s also not logical sense bypassing a possible well regarded TE prospect that could well be in aforementioned group of TEs, gambling a full entire season just to evaluate a serviceable, seldom used TE

However if it’s just NOT convenient or our luck to get that so highly graded and regarded TE prospect that is so high on our draft value board, to fortunately drop to one of our first three round slots,
then I can see this is just not the year to get that TE prospect in the draft, and we have to go with what we have while also seeking some trade possibilities for the most serviceable vets
until the next year rolls around for a chance for that idea TE prospect again.
as I certainly do not believe in drafting a tight end early ..just for only the very sake of just taking a TE body just because we need one.

quickccc

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with "FA" status for TEs, but everybodys looking for TEs that produce now...
The importance of quality pass catching TEs in this league is trending....

Kelce
Ertz
Kittle
Andrews
Waller
Hooper
Cook
Higbe
Henry
Goedert
Witten

So you can see the TE importance trending, just take a look at the two remaining.
So yes the need is there, but this team needs to discover what it has or doesn't have within its youngish TEs in Jarwin, Schultz, and who else... see that's all I mean.
I have the utmost respect and admiration for Witten, and always will,, true gladiator, but time is of the essence to find, discover, this teams future at TE, or how we even use the position.
Im not passing on a WR that I have rated higher, or favor just to chase a potential at TE in the draft though.. there are two ways to skin a cat,,, and don't get upset, don't call PETA
I love animals,, I will never forget Witten playing with a broken wired jaw, and running for some serious YAC with out a helmet.
But it is time to invest here, rather that be through the draft or FA,,

Kelce - 3rd round
Ertz - 3rd round
Kittle - 5th round
Andrews - 3rd round
Waller - 6th round
Hooper - 3rd round
Cook - 3rd round
Higbe - 4th round
Henry - 3rd round
Goedert - 2nd round
Witten - 3rd round

Look at the selected rounds of the NFL dfraft the TEs you mentioned above went in.
And there are more heralded name TEs that I could list the selected draft round they went in, but this is my point in if we want that impact superlative difference making TE, the best bet is getting him within the first three rounds.

i'm doubting that we would pull the trigger on a TE as early as the first round, as I don't recall there being ones that are that off chart to where we have tp
nab them. But I could see one that could be more idea for the 3rd and maybe 4th round.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I've always been a big Witten fan, but I do agree it's time to give the majority of snaps to Jarwin. If a good TE happened to fall to the Cowboys, so be it, but IMO the priority in the draft should be Defense, with an emphasis on the DL. Dump that bend and break garbage and build us a run stuffing DL.
I'm on board with you. Here's the post I left in
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/tlh-how-good-can-the-dallas-cowboys-defense-be-in-2020.452183/

Boys fans over value their own players. Maliek Collins is good/not great. Antwaun Wood is good/not great. Byron Jones is good/not great etc....

Let them go. They'll get big contracts and then they will generally underperform. (see DeMarcus Lawrence)

There's only ONE FA that Dallas should've FOUGHT to retain over the past few years, Ronald Leary. This upcoming draft should be defense, period.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm on board with you. Here's the post I left in
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/tlh-how-good-can-the-dallas-cowboys-defense-be-in-2020.452183/

Boys fans over value their own players. Maliek Collins is good/not great. Antwaun Wood is good/not great. Byron Jones is good/not great etc....

Let them go. They'll get big contracts and then they will generally underperform. (see DeMarcus Lawrence)

There's only ONE FA that Dallas should've FOUGHT to retain over the past few years, Ronald Leary. This upcoming draft should be defense, period.

Why ?
what has Ron Leary done and accomplished in Denver with the Broncos that begs the difference that we should have re-signed him ?

He had one really solid year here (2016) finally remained healthy that year- albeit a contract year at that,, and most of his years here was either marred with injuries as he had issues staying healthy
or he was benched in the starting lineup in favor of the more heralded Lael Collins.
Leary has been just decent- serviceable (at best) with the Broncos, not All pro or Pro bowl level, and he's still faced injury issues with most of his career with the Broncos.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
lol .. is that line from .“Carl ’ in the Sling blade movie ? :grin:

If you’re getting a highly regarded TE prospect that could be a Ertz, Kelce, Goebert, etc. in a position that is so essential to a young QB and sustaining offense, such a playmaker hope is
not a wasted pick, imo.
That TE need is also among the “ all holes to fill “ – and while yes, its’ still a matter of McCarthy evaluating Jarwin , it’s also not logical sense bypassing a possible well regarded TE prospect that could well be in aforementioned group of TEs, gambling a full entire season just to evaluate a serviceable, seldom used TE

However if it’s just NOT convenient or our luck to get that so highly graded and regarded TE prospect that is so high on our draft value board, to fortunately drop to one of our first three round slots,
then I can see this is just not the year to get that TE prospect in the draft, and we have to go with what we have while also seeking some trade possibilities for the most serviceable vets
until the next year rolls around for a chance for that idea TE prospect again.
as I certainly do not believe in drafting a tight end early ..just for only the very sake of just taking a TE body just because we need one.

No I use that line from hearing it on That 70 Show. First off you make it sound like EVERY highly projected college player turns out to be the next greatest player and we both know or at least i hope you know that those types of players are not guaranteed and there have been countless busts that once were listed like that.

Second, last season Jarwin averaged 11.8 yards per catch and there are #2 WR in this league that didn't average that. Also getting 31 receptions as the #2 TE. Also in 7 of the games last season he had receptions of 20 or more yards, the longest 42 yards. Now Jarwin as you say was seldom used because he was the #2 TE behind future HOF TE Witten. The Cowboys did use 2 TE plays, but not as often as some teams and that is how Jarwin got many of his catches.

Now nobody know for sure but I'm betting that McCarthy has look over Jarwin's stats and very well could have said to himself that those are pretty good numbs as a #2 TE I think I would like to see what he can do as a starting TE.

Again, nobody knows for sure right now today what Mccarthy's draft priorities are or if he is even considering a different TE and if he's even thinking trades. I believe Mccarthy thinks that right now with who of the 25 UFA that they will make an honest effort to resign that there will be far more glaring needs for this team than TE. As far as trades, during Macarth's years in Green Bay he had been a build through the draft kind of coach and the packers did very little trading and signing of other teams free agents. So as I've said several times since McCarthy has been hired, maybe we should let him do his thing and see what his plans are before fans start trying to say what he should do.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Yes I would stick with Jarwin and Schultz, but would draft a guy somewhere between 3 and 5 if TE represents the best value.

quickccc

Reaction score
No I use that line from hearing it on That 70 Show. First off you make it sound like EVERY highly projected college player turns out to be the next greatest player and we both know or at least i hope you know that those types of players are not guaranteed and there have been countless busts that once were listed like that.

Second, last season Jarwin averaged 11.8 yards per catch and there are #2 WR in this league that didn't average that. Also getting 31 receptions as the #2 TE. Also in 7 of the games last season he had receptions of 20 or more yards, the longest 42 yards. Now Jarwin as you say was seldom used because he was the #2 TE behind future HOF TE Witten. The Cowboys did use 2 TE plays, but not as often as some teams and that is how Jarwin got many of his catches.

Now nobody know for sure but I'm betting that McCarthy has look over Jarwin's stats and very well could have said to himself that those are pretty good numbs as a #2 TE I think I would like to see what he can do as a starting TE.

Again, nobody knows for sure right now today what Mccarthy's draft priorities are or if he is even considering a different TE and if he's even thinking trades. I believe Mccarthy thinks that right now with who of the 25 UFA that they will make an honest effort to resign that there will be far more glaring needs for this team than TE.
As far as trades, during Macarth's years in Green Bay he had been a build through the draft kind of coach and the packers did very little trading and signing of other teams free agents. So as I've said several times since McCarthy has been hired, maybe we should let him do his thing and see what his plans are before fans start trying to say what he should do.

- Your exaggerations aside – you know when you put together your draft board, you know that your scotus and personnel have worked hard and long hours and weeks, months in contributing
to that draft board, that they expect to reap the rewards of such hard work and that’s through the hope and expectations that their draft board comes through for the team.
The draft is the nucleus and core of your team.
That’s what vastly helps decide if your team is moving up to the next level – whether they will be the next Niners or Chiefs contending for the SB.

We know draft is not a guarantee- but does that mean you stop drafting ? does that mean you need to do a Mike Ditka and trade basely your entire draft ?

That’s why you hire the better personnel guys to not only help you come up with as close to “ guarantees “ as possible. But they are counting on you to nail those guarantees, .. or else they move on to other personnel . The better teams that regularly get in the playoffs have that kind of draft nucleus tend to have that kind of personnel guys.

You count on hitting more of them …than less of them.
The more you hit on them, the better you improve your teams chances of providing the players that better you’re chances of being contenders,.. the lesser you hit, well I imagine you know how it goes from there.

- As far as Jarwin, what he did last for the year entirety in spots and occasions, was a reflection of what he showed in the Giants game when he snared 3 TDs, but judging off Stephen’s comments, the team did not seem sold on Jarwin as a featured TE, now could this be based off just off the Garrett regime who may require more in-line blocking from their TEs, who even have to handle DE’s on occasions, or for some reason didn’t think he could handle the targeting of a featured guy; there’s a different between lead and complimentary 2nd guy – the one can not only handle the persistent
load of targets and still hold strong at end of the game while the No.2 guy tends to show signs of wear the more the game goes on. (This holds true for WRs as well)

Not to say that the Cowboys don’t believe Jarwin has some talent, but it could be a different between how they view him between being a lead feature No. 1 TE vs a No.2 complimentary TE.

i hear whispers here and there about Jarwin's blocking being soured upon and how that's limited him, but could his be that far apart bad than from what Witten’s blocking was ?
and has been subpar and declining even worse last year.

But since McCarthy has nothing to hold an based his own experience with Jarwin on, and only the current coaches (Nussemeier TE coach, Moore, scouts- and the same personnel guys and management that previously place hint that they could be looking for a featured TE (before GOAT decided his return and changed the dynamics)

One tall tale may be the invites of TEs into pre-draft day visits, as last year that number was very scarce.

king987

Reaction score
My stance remains the same with Jarwin. I'd be fine with Jarwin at the top of the 2020 depth chart. But unfortunately, we don't have a clearer picture of what Jarwin is and can be because he got stuck behind Witten.

That all said, while I see Jarwin's potential, Cowboys should absolutely "not" sit pat and do nothing at tight end. If they can get a good deal with a free agent like Ebron, do it. If a nice rookie falls in their lap, do it. Nothing wrong with having two good tight ends!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
- Your exaggerations aside – you know when you put together your draft board, you know that your scotus and personnel have worked hard and long hours and weeks, months in contributing
to that draft board, that they expect to reap the rewards of such hard work and that’s through the hope and expectations that their draft board comes through for the team.
The draft is the nucleus and core of your team.
That’s what vastly helps decide if your team is moving up to the next level – whether they will be the next Niners or Chiefs contending for the SB.

We know draft is not a guarantee- but does that mean you stop drafting ? does that mean you need to do a Mike Ditka and trade basely your entire draft ?

That’s why you hire the better personnel guys to not only help you come up with as close to “ guarantees “ as possible. But they are counting on you to nail those guarantees, .. or else they move on to other personnel . The better teams that regularly get in the playoffs have that kind of draft nucleus tend to have that kind of personnel guys.

You count on hitting more of them …than less of them.
The more you hit on them, the better you improve your teams chances of providing the players that better you’re chances of being contenders,.. the lesser you hit, well I imagine you know how it goes from there.

- As far as Jarwin, what he did last for the year entirety in spots and occasions, was a reflection of what he showed in the Giants game when he snared 3 TDs, but judging off Stephen’s comments, the team did not seem sold on Jarwin as a featured TE, now could this be based off just off the Garrett regime who may require more in-line blocking from their TEs, who even have to handle DE’s on occasions, or for some reason didn’t think he could handle the targeting of a featured guy; there’s a different between lead and complimentary 2nd guy – the one can not only handle the persistent
load of targets and still hold strong at end of the game while the No.2 guy tends to show signs of wear the more the game goes on. (This holds true for WRs as well)

Not to say that the Cowboys don’t believe Jarwin has some talent, but it could be a different between how they view him between being a lead feature No. 1 TE vs a No.2 complimentary TE.

i hear whispers here and there about Jarwin's blocking being soured upon and how that's limited him, but could his be that far apart bad than from what Witten’s blocking was ?
and has been subpar and declining even worse last year.

But since McCarthy has nothing to hold an based his own experience with Jarwin on, and only the current coaches (Nussemeier TE coach, Moore, scouts- and the same personnel guys and management that previously place hint that they could be looking for a featured TE (before GOAT decided his return and changed the dynamics)

One tall tale may be the invites of TEs into pre-draft day visits, as last year that number was very scarce.

First off, yes every team has scouts that spend countless hours watching tapes and going to games and speaking to these college players and putting together the draft board. Most people don't realize that the scouting department puts together a draft board with multiple players for EVERY position. This is where the best available player comes in. They've scouted them even though that position may not be a top priority going into the draft. The point I was trying to make about players being busts is too many users here think just draft this guy or that guy and problems are solved and they will be the first ones if the player turns out to be a bust to start saying why did the Cowboys waste a pick on him.

I'm not saying Stephen did say that about Jarwin, but this is the first I've heard about it. My question is did you hear it or read it here on this forum written by a user, or did it come as a direct quote from Stephen?

Now you brought up Jarwin's blocking and how quickly you forget that Witten's first couple of seasons he wasn't the blocker he became. The Cowboys new Witten could catch the ball and was a good mismatch against both safeties and LB's but they did have to get his blocking improved. As it turned out he became a very good blocker too.

Again I haven't heard any of this negative comments or opinions by either of those coaches or Stephen and until I hear or see a direct quote by them I will just believe those to be unstantiated rumors.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
My stance remains the same with Jarwin. I'd be fine with Jarwin at the top of the 2020 depth chart. But unfortunately, we don't have a clearer picture of what Jarwin is and can be because he got stuck behind Witten.

That all said, while I see Jarwin's potential, Cowboys should absolutely "not" sit pat and do nothing at tight end. If they can get a good deal with a free agent like Ebron, do it. If a nice rookie falls in their lap, do it. Nothing wrong with having two good tight ends!

If there is a TE they like in the 6th or 7th round fine. Jarwin like other Cowboys greats Romo and Drew Pearson was undrafted. I don't hold against any player who develops into a good player. In fact as recently as 2017 an undrafted player went into the HOF, Kurt Warner.

blumayne38

Reaction score
Jarwin is pretty good, when you really watch him. Every time he got an opportunity it was 10-15 yds.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Past tight end players seemed to be well utilized and work terrific under McCarthy in GB, such as Jared Cook, Jimmy Graham. So that tells that the TE will indeed play a big significant in this offense.

And very strongly assuming this is the end of the road for the GOAT Jason Witten and we can finally get that speed and big play ability that affects the entire field, is there anyone that are sold on holdover TE Blake Jarwin as the starting featured TE here ?

Or should we strongly consider that new featured TE in this upcoming draft ?
Not sure if there's anyone that is worth investing in FA market at the TE position.

Blimey!
Just like all are giving McCarthy a chance as HC, too, we must give Jarwin a complete year of snaps!

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
No doubt you got to keep Jarwin at this point. The question is better ask ..If he is #2 going into the season. If the answer is #2, success. PERIOD.

Cmac

Reaction score
Remain with Jarwin, try to get depth, and tell JWitt thanks but no thanks.

quickccc

Reaction score
First off, yes every team has scouts that spend countless hours watching tapes and going to games and speaking to these college players and putting together the draft board. Most people don't realize that the scouting department puts together a draft board with multiple players for EVERY position. This is where the best available player comes in. They've scouted them even though that position may not be a top priority going into the draft. The point I was trying to make about players being busts is too many users here think just draft this guy or that guy and problems are solved and they will be the first ones if the player turns out to be a bust to start saying why did the Cowboys waste a pick on him.

I'm not saying Stephen did say that about Jarwin, but this is the first I've heard about it. My question is did you hear it or read it here on this forum written by a user, or did it come as a direct quote from Stephen?

Now you brought up Jarwin's blocking and how quickly you forget that Witten's first couple of seasons he wasn't the blocker he became. The Cowboys new Witten could catch the ball and was a good mismatch against both safeties and LB's but they did have to get his blocking improved. As it turned out he became a very good blocker too.

Again I haven't heard any of this negative comments or opinions by either of those coaches or Stephen and until I hear or see a direct quote by them I will just believe those to be unstantiated rumors.

I heard the Jarwin- TE need quotes from Stephen's own voice per 105.3 the fan radio interview that he shares once per week during football season. so I dunno if there's an existing podcast this late, so long and far away and outdated.
But article quote wise, this is the closest I can get to what Stephen comments on Jarwin and TE need a priority in 2019.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/18/dallas-cowboys-stephen-jones-quotes-offensive-issues-2019-nfl-draft/

Stephen Jones spills beans on drafting TE, Cowboys' offensive woes

“I think we’ve got some good, young players. I think Blake Jarwin in particular and probably has the most upside, but is he ready right this second? Probably not. So, yeah, I think tight end is very important in terms of one of our top needs. What we’ll be looking at in the draft and looking for ways to make that a stronger spot,” said Jones on 105.3 The Fan. “Certainly Beasley is a chain-mover, but Jason Witten was a chain-mover. Certainly Blake made some strides this year, but I think it’s obvious right now we don’t have that ‘Jason Witten, Jay Novacek, No. 1’ tight end.”

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/26/dallas-cowboys-stephen-jones-interview-team-needs-2019-tight-end-safety/

Stephen Jones identifies tight end, safety as Cowboys' 2019 key needs

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/1/19/18188321/stephen-jones-cites-blake-jarwin-as-tight-end-with-most-potential-getting-help-is-still-a-priority

Stephen Jones cites Blake Jarwin as the tight end with the most potential, but getting help is still a priority

(The Cowboys aren’t satisfied with their current crop of tight ends.)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm sure dallas will try to resign jarwin

I expect not, unless we do it in this offseason.

If Jarwin hits free agency, he's a young and pretty good TE. Not great. Not sniffing the Pro Bowl. Those are the guys we wave goodbye to and take the comp pick.