Should we remain with Jarwin or get a new featured TE

Chuck 54

Reaction score
For all of Troy's HOF stats, when he needed a first down on 3rd down, he went to his TE or Irvin on the slant.
For all of Tony's splashy plays to Austin or Dez, he still looked to Witten on 3rd down.
Dak has not had that guy...the closest thing he's had was Beasley. Every QB needs a reliable chain mover.

I'm not putting down Wentz's overall ability, but any QB who can't keep drives going with those two TE's isn't worth a damn.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Who do you like in that 2nd or 3rd round range? I'm thinking we get a stopgap veteran and draft a developmental project also.

Haven't looked at the prospects too much beyond Delpit to this point. I was just speaking to method.

Golfzilla77

Reaction score
Schultz and Jarwin have both looked fine to me. Without a doubt, Witten was probably one of the all-time best blocking TE's, but that seems to get negated when they load the box. The young TE's we have would look like superstars in other offenses (Seattle, New Orleans, SF, etc.).

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Depends who is available when we draft. If the BPA available is a tight in, grab him. If not, go after other needs.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I find it funny, not ha ha funny, that there are some here who think with all the holes that will be needed to fill when many of the 25 UFA don't get resigned to waste a draft pick on a TE and then there are some who with the same UFA issue and cap space say sign a vet free agent TE. This is all before even the mini camp where McCarthy will see for the first time first hand what Jarwin capabilities are.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Past tight end players seemed to be well utilized and work terrific under McCarthy in GB, such as Jared Cook, Jimmy Graham. So that tells that the TE will indeed play a big significant in this offense.

And very strongly assuming this is the end of the road for the GOAT Jason Witten and we can finally get that speed and big play ability that affects the entire field, is there anyone that are sold on holdover TE Blake Jarwin as the starting featured TE here ?

Or should we strongly consider that new featured TE in this upcoming draft ?
Not sure if there's anyone that is worth investing in FA market at the TE position.
This has nothing to do with "FA" status for TEs, but everybodys looking for TEs that produce now...
The importance of quality pass catching TEs in this league is trending....

Kelce
Ertz
Kittle
Andrews
Waller
Hooper
Cook
Higbe
Henry
Goedert
Witten

So you can see the TE importance trending, just take a look at the two remaining.
So yes the need is there, but this team needs to discover what it has or doesn't have within its youngish TEs in Jarwin, Schultz, and who else... see that's all I mean.
I have the utmost respect and admiration for Witten, and always will,, true gladiator, but time is of the essence to find, discover, this teams future at TE, or how we even use the position.
Im not passing on a WR that I have rated higher, or favor just to chase a potential at TE in the draft though.. there are two ways to skin a cat,,, and don't get upset, don't call PETA
I love animals,, I will never forget Witten playing with a broken wired jaw, and running for some serious YAC with out a helmet.
But it is time to invest here, rather that be through the draft or FA,,

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
You’re right, what was I thinking......we have our very own Kittle here :laugh:

I never said Jarwin is trash or anything and he does make some plays. But, if Dallas can get their hands on a dynamic TE that forces defenses to focus on.....you get him.
Never said you did. Just not giving him any confidence he can do it. Which I get. If he can, one less roster spot they have to worry about. And, I also did agree with you on getting someone if better and available. I'd give Jarwin a shot as well.

coult44

Reaction score
We passed on Moss years ago and it might be the worst player personnel move of Jerry’s career. Let’s not make that mistake again..

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You like the idea of Dallas having the best TE in the game along with a 2nd round pick at the position. Groundbreaking stuff, thanks for sharing.

“I won’t stop until I’ve stolen all the valor.” — kaiser

:lmao:

quickccc

Reaction score
Can't fill all the needs and while he's not great, he could be good enough.

The question is did Witten's presence take reps from him or was it Witten's relationship with the owner and HC. I saw enough of him at OU and with his limited reps with DAL that he's a better playmaker than Witten. Better blocker? Don't know about that.

Yes, you’re right in that it could be too difficult to fill all needs in just one year, by which is al the more reason why Stephen really needs to hit home with FA market with a splash vet FA, and that
would take a huge load off the necessity of addressing other need priorities in the upcoming draft.
But he’s such an conservative ogre, that his stubborn strategics ends up crippling us come regular season time.

But that aside, I am not for bypassing a much better graded player that happens to be a TE, for the sake of getting a CB body and far lesser graded prospect just for the very sake of taking a CB body because we need CBs. .. or need a safety.

Case in point, Let's Pray tell that 2nd year DT Trysten Hill ends up quickly emerges and closes ground and the gap to leave the Cowboys with no regrets on picking a DT- simply because of dire need of a DT and bypassing possible future stud safeties in Juan Thornhill and Taylor Rapp in the 2nd round.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
An inline TE would be nice. Dont know if Jarwin can fit that role. He would have to improve alot as a blocker. But unless you draft a day 1 star, Jarwin will still get most of the looks in tha passing game.

Im not 100% convinced that inline TE cant be Shultz. He didnt get much opportunity when Witten came back. However he looked decent in that role during his rookie season when Swaim went down
TE for us is an enigma except for Witten.

How many have we tried to draft only to see them flash then fade.

Fasano, Bennett, the guy from San Deigo State that tore his Achilles and 1 or 2 others.

It's been really a blackhole for us.

It's been a waste to draft anybody higher than 2nd rd..

sheezz..

So what now?

I think we look at Eifert or Ebron and see how that might work.

Having some experience and being careful with his snap count and playing Schultz and Jarwin depending on field position makes the most sense.

Play action is going to be featured on offense in 2020

Who will be the best drawing single coverage in that case?

Ebron is my guess.

Aven8

Reaction score
We passed on Moss years ago and it might be the worst player personnel move of Jerry’s career. Let’s not make that mistake again..

The TE Miss isn’t anything like his father. Not even close.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not opposed to drafting a TE but would stay with Jarwin before I would reach for TE in the draft. I think the system Jarwin was playing in was not a great fit for him, but I do think under McCarthy system that Jarwin is a fit and I think they will utilize this talent different than what was being asked of him

ondaedg

Reaction score
Line up to run and audible Jarwin to the outside with a linebacker or strong safety on him. The dude can run a straight line faster than 99% of the TEs in this league. He can create mismatches all day long.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think Jarwin is a pretty good TE prospect but if the opportunity presents itself to upgrade then you do it.

It was hard watching Witten take snaps from him this year when it was clear that Jarwin was the better player.
Then listening to the robots justification was insult to injury....

"Heck of a tight end"