Show of hands: Who is scared to death of this offensive line?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Ya know, you may have a point. Maybe I've set expectations too high after watching that great 90's offensive line. IMO, it was the best offensive line in the history of the NFL. I gotz Troy Aikman to back me up on that. We all know how fair and balanced #8 is when it comes to the Cowboys. :D But even Aikman admitted that he might have had the best line in the history of the game protecting him. I miss watching Larry Allen and Erik Williams destroy defensive lineman. :(
Your concerns are reasonable...I especially hate our C situation. But Tuinei, Allen, Stepnoski, Gogan, Newton, Williams were all gradually worked into the mix...that line wasn't put together over the months of March/April in Free Agency.

We've got a good start...hopefully Parcells won't continue to blow it in the draft like he has with Johnson, Gurode, Peterman, and Rogers.

wileedog

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
We've got a good start...hopefully Parcells won't continue to blow it in the draft like he has with Johnson, Gurode, Peterman, and Rogers.

He didn't draft Gurode.

Although he's had ample time to cut him or fix him, so we'll give Bill partial credit.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Unless we bring in some new blood, I will be worried every play of every game. We have people returning from injury and other people's trash is our treasure.

My starting lineup:
Adams is back to running. So what! He has to slide laterally for speed rushers, can his knee take twisting motions? If he were a guard I wouldn't worry.

Only two people on this board knew of Kosier 3 weeks ago, now half the board has him penciled in as a starter ONLY because he is paid like a starter.

Johnson or Gurode? One is too weak and gets pushed back into the QB, the other appears to have scored a 2 on the wonderlic.

Rivera hurts himself walking on a treadmill and is ineffective the entire year. Let's hope he doesn't go near one of them again.

Fabini; Yet another lineman with back problems. How many games did he play in last year? Oh that's right, 9. No worries here.

If you are not worried, you are delusional. Each and every person on the line has question marks next to his name. Yeah, the line has POTENTIAL to be a good pulling line. It also has potential to be be on injured reserve at week 6. How comfortable would you be with Tucker, Kosier, Gurode, Columbo, Pettiti?

proline

Reaction score
No way Bill and Jerry go into the season with the O-Line as short on depth as last year. This will be a solid crew, with solid backups. Nothing spectacular, just blue-collar guys who get the job done.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
proline said:
No way Bill and Jerry go into the season with the O-Line as short on depth as last year. This will be a solid crew, with solid backups. Nothing spectacular, just blue-collar guys who get the job done.

Blue-collar guys who get the job done or claim workmans comp. We'll see who shows up.

wileedog

Reaction score
dallasfaniac said:
My starting lineup:
Adams is back to running. So what! He has to slide laterally for speed rushers, can his knee take twisting motions? If he were a guard I wouldn't worry.
He's running in March. That's overwhelmingly positive.

Only two people on this board knew of Kosier 3 weeks ago, now half the board has him penciled in as a starter ONLY because he is paid like a starter.
Watch the Dallas/Detroit game clips. That's a far better indication then "did you know him last year?"

Yes its one game, but he played better in that game than Larry did most of last year.

Johnson or Gurode? One is too weak and gets pushed back into the QB, the other appears to have scored a 2 on the wonderlic.
Improved guard play on either side will help, and Johnson is supposedly putting on weight. But I agree its a question mark.

Rivera hurts himself walking on a treadmill and is ineffective the entire year. Let's hope he doesn't go near one of them again.
Yes, lets.

Fabini; Yet another lineman with back problems. How many games did he play in last year? Oh that's right, 9. No worries here.

Fabini before last year was one of the most durable linemen in the game. He tore a chest muscle last year, not back problems, which shouldn't have any lngering effects. He's not any more of an injury concern than anyone else, and is probably far less so than most.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Another thing that scares me is Chris Palmer. I do not know how involved he will be in developing the protection schemes, but I was in Houston this week listening to 610 and they were absolutely ripping the guys protection schemes.

I am not saying what they said is true, but hearing something like that does not give me a warmy fuzzy inside.

silver

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Hoping to hear from some of you folks who are voting no. You think this line will stay healthy all year? You think some of the younger players will get better? You think we're in a good position for some draft steals? What's with the optimism after watching a line fall apart last year?

here's my optimism:

Flozell will be back to his old self and will stay healthy throuhgout the season and playoffs.

Kosier will start and nobody will miss Allen who was a shadow of his former self the last 5 years here.

Al Johnson will be OK.

Andre Gurode will man the RG spot and play like he did when he replaced an injured Rivera.

Jason Fabini's injury was an isolated case and will come back at full speed. He didn't tear any major limbs.

Back-ups

Rob Pettiti is finally healthy, has added 10 pounds of muscle. Will make a run for the RT spot.

Torrin Tucker will me switched to Guard where he played in college. He still very gifted athletically and has started a bunch of games for us.

Marco Rivera will come back strong. Is actively participating in the offseason program and all reports say he will regain his old form

we still have the draft to upgrade the LT backup spot although Kosier, Tucker, Fabini and Pettiti all have experience there.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
wileedog said:
He's running in March. That's overwhelmingly positive.
I tore my ACL, MCL, PCL and ripped my meniscus to hell. I had surgery and could run straight-line within a very short amount of time with agressive therapy. An ACL is fine straight line, it is when you try to pivot, turn, cut, slide etc. that the problems show up. All things a LT has to do. When a WR tears his knee, he can run straight all day, but try having him cut.

wileedog said:
Watch the Dallas/Detroit game clips. That's a far better indication then "did you know him last year?" Yes its one game, but he played better in that game than Larry did most of last year.
So watch a handfull of clips from one game and that makes the player. Have you heard 'every dog has his day' ? I bet I can put together a handfull of plays from Tucker somewhere in his brief career that would make him an all pro to another team too.

wileedog said:
Fabini before last year was one of the most durable linemen in the game. He tore a chest muscle last year, not back problems, which shouldn't have any lngering effects. He's not any more of an injury concern than anyone else, and is probably far less so than most.
I was not talking about last year, I was referring to the 2004 when he was suffering from back spasms. Add to it him being out 7 games last year and I don't think you can say he has no question marks.

Edit:I'm not saying the line will be bad, what I am saying is that it is obviously the weak-link on offense and we should be cautiously optimistic. Potential is just failure in the present.

wileedog

Reaction score
dallasfaniac said:
I tore my ACL, MCL, PCL and ripped my meniscus to hell. I had surgery and could run straight-line within a very short amount of time with agressive therapy. An ACL is fine straight line, it is when you try to pivot, turn, cut, slide etc. that the problems show up. All things a LT has to do. When a WR tears his knee, he can run straight all day, but try having him cut.
I'd wager you didn't have mega-bucks worth of trainers and facilities at your disposal to help you rehab.

Either way, saying he's doomed in March is pretty silly.

So watch a handfull of clips from one game and that makes the player. Have you heard 'every dog has his day' ? I bet I can put together a handfull of plays from Tucker somewhere in his brief career that would make him an all pro to another team too.

No, I've got a better idea. Lets take a poll to see how many people have heard of him.

Because everyone knows that's exactly how it works. Everyone knows every single offensive lineman on every team that is any good, but the ones that are really bad no one knows.

Popularity contests are absolutely the best way to put together an NFL team.

BTW, I distinctly recall dozens of people saying "Who?????!!!!!" when we signed Anthony Henry. Granted he wasn't as obscure as Kozier, but an awful lot of people had no clue who he was.

I was not talking about last year, I was referring to the 2004 when he was suffering from back spasms. Add to it him being out 7 games last year and I don't think you can say he has no question marks.
Well, he didn't have any back trouble for 9 games last year, so perhaps you are just wringing your hands over nothing?

Edit:I'm not saying the line will be bad, what I am saying is that it is obviously the weak-link on offense and we should be cautiously optimistic. Potential is just failure in the present.
I'm not saying they will be overly good. But I believe the words you used were "If you are not worried, you are delusional." I think that's overstating it.

Yes, there are concerns still, but there is still the draft to go as well.

And you know what? Every single team out there has injury concerns and lack of depth someplace as well. That's how the league works now. If the Redkins lose 2 OLmen to injury they are more screwed than we are.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
I am scared to death of the interior of this o-line. I think Flo will come back at full strength, but when it comes to people like the 34 year old Rivera, he will not be improving any time soon. Johnson has been in the league for three years, if he hasnt gotten stronger in the past 3 years, what makes anyone think he will have a miracle progression this off season? Dont even get me started on Kosier. I do not see how from LG to RG that this team has made any significant improvements.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Before his injury the Hotel had started every game for the past 5 years.
So I am not worried about him suddenly having a problem- he just turned 30.

Kosier had a lot of teams interested in him- and for those willing to dig for more on him all the BAD writeups were from years ago. He is good. NUFF SAID.

I admit I wanted Bentley bad- would have taken care of all our problems at center- but deciding to go after TO put that out of the question.
I think that if Al is willing to lose a little quickness by bulking up - we may be better there.

Rivera from accounts from Pettiti's dad is working like a demon to get ready= everything we ever heard about him is that he has a lot of pride- so I think he will be fine this year.

Fabini is a solid guy- and Pettiti and Columbo will have their shot as well.
So I think that any way you look at it RT play will be much improved.

Peterman just might end up as something other then a bust- at least we can hope. Gurode will have his shot at center- maybe the light will go on finally.
At any rate he is good depth at both center and guard.

I am not saying anything about Tucker since I think he is gone.

We will pick up someone in the draft- no doubt about that.

I think the line will be much better then last year/not anything like the 90's line but solid.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
I voted yes to scared but then it came to me. What happens to Drew if we go with this cast of linemen. A top 5 draft pick. Maybe Bill is a lot more crafty than I thought.

wileedog

Reaction score
Joe a Cowboys fan said:
I voted yes to scared but then it came to me. What happens to Drew if we go with this cast of linemen. A top 5 draft pick. Maybe Bill is a lot more crafty than I thought.

So an even worse line was one game away from the playoffs with Drew at QB, but by improving the tackles we are now going to go 4-12?

Do you even think before posting nonsense like this?

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
wileedog said:
I'd wager you didn't have mega-bucks worth of trainers and facilities at your disposal to help you rehab.

Either way, saying he's doomed in March is pretty silly.

Well, I tore it when I was at CU, I think they have a pretty good staff. I never said Adams could not come back, but he has to be a worry. He is returning from and injury and the only positives we have heard is he can runs straight forward. He will be next to a LG he has never played with before. I guess there is no need for worry here.

wileedog said:
No, I've got a better idea. Lets take a poll to see how many people have heard of him.

Because everyone knows that's exactly how it works. Everyone knows every single offensive lineman on every team that is any good, but the ones that are really bad no one knows.

Popularity contests are absolutely the best way to put together an NFL team.

BTW, I distinctly recall dozens of people saying "Who?????!!!!!" when we signed Anthony Henry. Granted he wasn't as obscure as Kozier, but an awful lot of people had no clue who he was.
The fact that Ryan Young has not heard of the guy and JJT has talked to other teams that have not had good thing to say about Kosier makes you question what really makes him starting material. On this board everyone is spinning this guy as good because we signed him to a big contract and because of 10 plays against us last year.

wileedog said:
Well, he didn't have any back trouble for 9 games last year, so perhaps you are just wringing your hands over nothing?
You're right, back spasms and torn chest muscles are nothing to worry about.

wileedog said:
I'm not saying they will be overly good. But I believe the words you used were "If you are not worried, you are delusional." I think that's overstating it.

Yes, there are concerns still, but there is still the draft to go as well.

And you know what? Every single team out there has injury concerns and lack of depth someplace as well. That's how the league works now. If the Redkins lose 2 OLmen to injury they are more screwed than we are.
This poll was based on the lineup today. There is no guarantee that we will draft a lineman and no guarantee that if we do they will still be on our roster 2 years later. We have questions marks in on the most important part of the offense. Games are won in the trenches and our trenches have huge question marks. Spin it how you want.

wileedog

Reaction score
dallasfaniac said:
Well, I tore it when I was at CU, I think they have a pretty good staff. I never said Adams could not come back, but he has to be a worry. He is returning from and injury and the only positives we have heard is he can runs straight forward. He will be next to a LG he has never played with before. I guess there is no need for worry here.
We've consistently heard that he's ahead of schedule since the season ended.

Until I hear otherwise I don't see a point in worrying about it.

The fact that Ryan Young has not heard of the guy and JJT has talked to other teams that have not had good thing to say about Kosier makes you question what really makes him starting material. On this board everyone is spinning this guy as good because we signed him to a big contract and because of 10 plays against us last year.
JJT? Good Lord. The day anything JJT says worries me is the day I go become a Skins fan.

You're right, back spasms and torn chest muscles are nothing to worry about.
Lots of athletes in lots of sports have back spasms that don't turn into lingering issues. The fact that he played for over half the season last year without a re-occurance is certainly more encouraging than worrying.

As for the chest muscle, um, no, its not anything to worry about at all. Again, its not something that typically causes long term problems once it has healed.

Games are won in the trenches and our trenches have huge question marks. Spin it how you want.
Yes, we do have questions marks. But the line was absolutely atriocious last year and we still would have made the playoffs with a decent kicker. Now the line is undoubtedly better, question marks and all, and we also have the kicker. Not to mention TO.

The point is the team is better now than last year and we didn't screw up our future cap situation by giving Hutchinson $49M, which is ridiculous for a G.

Spin it how you want.

garyv

Reaction score
I have to agree to another topic discussing the Offensive Line is a little scary. I have to agree this is why I started another Topic addressing the Cowboys possibly trading some 2007 Draft Picks to add more picks in the 2006 Draft. It would be nice to land 4 to 5 starters from this draft. I would say most definitely a FS and OLB but a couple of Offensive Lineman like Max Jean-Gilles and Nick Mangold at Center would give the Cowboys some real needed youth and depth on the OL.