Showing our hand on ESPN

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I thought about posting this under the Sportcenter Draft Special thread, but I thought this might be deserving of its own thread.

For those of you who didn't watch it, this is how it went down...........the folks doing the mock picks, Hodge, Salisbury, and a couple other guys would get on the phone and talk to each team (Who exactly I don't know) and to guage thier interest in partcular players. Obviously whoever is talking to the ESPN guys aren't going to give them much, but Salisbury said that at the end of the phone conversation with dallas, the dallas representative said...........Hey, where do you see Santonio Holmes going"................. OUCH. A blind man can read between the lines on that one. Even Salisbury said "Bingo". If they actually asked about someone, they must have great interest in them.

I just hope this isn't true...................

KingTuna

Reaction score
Parcells has openly said that he does not like drafting WR's in the first round.

Parcells will go OLB or CB/FS with the 18th pick IF we don't trade down.

Cannot rule out O-lineman BUT that is the least likely to happen at #18 IMO....

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
I don't see any difference in asking where Holmes is going to go and them asking where Leinart is going to go. That was probably intentional, no a slip of the tongue.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I am not getting suckered into believing any of these "stories" until I actualy hear the name called for our pick.

There is a short list of guys I would be happy with at #18 but, I don't have my heart really set on anyone of them. I learned my lesson 2 drafts ago when we traded down with Steven Jackson still on the board. I wanted him to be a Cowboy so bad I was LIVID when we passed on him. I won't put myself through that again....no way, no how...ugh.

I will definitely be watching with great anticipation tomorrow though!

acheman

Reaction score
Actually that is what Dr. Z wrote in his mock draft for SI, not sure if both he and Salisbury said this, but I KNOW for a FACT that Dr. Z wrote this. Thought you might have your sources confused, that or this is total propoganda using the media. I have never understood why other GM's just don't read the stuff on other teams web-sites and local papers, as that is where you get the most accurate gauge of team needs and wants.

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54334

No. 18 COWBOYS: I gave them SANTONIO HOLMES, WR, OHIO STATE, only because when I talked to someone in the organization he asked me, ever so gently, "Where do you have Holmes going?" That, to me, is always the tip-off. When they ask that, give the guy to them, slam dunk, no questions asked. Now I have second thoughts. Why do they need another receiver after they got Terrell Owens? Beats me. If I had it to do over again, I'd give them Bunkley or one of the linebackers, or maybe even Nick Mangold, the center.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
kobe2jail said:
OUCH. A blind man can read between the lines on that one. Even Salisbury said "Bingo". If they actually asked about someone, they must have great interest in them.

I guess I must be blind and stupid because I don't read it that way at all. Here's my take: we would love Holmes to be on the board when we pick. Why? Because there are teams like SD and KC that may want Holmes- enough to pay a premium to make sure they get him. We ain't taking him.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
I guess I must be blind and stupid because I don't read it that way at all. Here's my take: we would love Holmes to be on the board when we pick. Why? Because there are teams like SD and KC that may want Holmes- enough to pay a premium to make sure they get him. We ain't taking him.

Great point Cass. I think LenDale WHite will also be a guy people will want to trade up to get. Even though he has an injured hammy, he is still going to be the 2nd best RB in this draft.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH said:
I don't see any difference in asking where Holmes is going to go and them asking where Leinart is going to go. That was probably intentional, no a slip of the tongue.
Exactly! This Cowboys representative that they were talking to probably had the TV tuned in to the show and was laughiung his butt off when Salisbury starts his "Bingo" bit.

superpunk

Reaction score
Still....unless im missing something, the whole thing was faked. They were not actually "on the phone" with actual people. It was all made up.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH said:
Great point Cass. I think LenDale WHite will also be a guy people will want to trade up to get. Even though he has an injured hammy, he is still going to be the 2nd best RB in this draft.

No, that would be Deangelo Williams.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Reminds me of draft day last year when Jerry made a comment that Matt Jones would have to get past Dallas before Jacksonville would be able to get him. It's all smoke.

But maybe they were asking because they have an agreement to trade down of Santonio is there at 18.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
No, that would be Deangelo Williams.

Mississippi, Chattanooga, Houston, Tulsa, University of Central Florida, UTEP, East Carolina, UAB, Tennessee, Southern Miss, Marshall and Akron. Any of those teams scare you? That's who Williams played to get his 1900 yards.

White had a tougher schedule and was splitting time with the Heisman Trophy winner. He gained 1300 yards on 197 carries, whilte Williams got his 1900 yards on 309 carries. Had White carried the entire load for USC and carried the ball the same amout as Williams, he would've rushed for more yards than Williams.

Don't go by yards alone. White also rushed for more TDs (24 to 18) than Williams and also caught the ball out of the backfield for over 200 yards. Williams had 12 catches for 78 yards.

Don't get me wrong. I think Williams will have a good career, but I think White is the better back.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lord, I'm starting to feel sick.

You know, there was a statement the other day by Jerruh saying something to the effect that they were wide open and could really go any way but probably (three LB names). He said they could go Offense is somebody slipped except probably WR. Why would he say that?

BP said that they wouldn't take a WR in the 1st as well.

Why would you say anything? The less said,the better IMO.

I would not mind seeing us take Jackson because I honestly believe he's going to be a stud #1 guy but I really don't like Holmes or Moss. I guess I just don't see the value there. Maybe there plan is to trade down and draft a WR. Lord, I hope not.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
At this point the day or week before the draft, they think someone saying "Where's Holmes going?" means we're taking him?? If right now Jerruh AND BP came out and said "absolutely, unequivocally, without a doubt we will take ________ at 18, book it," I wouldn't believe them.

There are so many ways you could explain this. The one Z comes up with is we're taking him, because that would be the scoop, sells magazines, etc.

doomsday81

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Still....unless im missing something, the whole thing was faked. They were not actually "on the phone" with actual people. It was all made up.

Yes, it was made up. It was supposed to be a joke but I'm sure there will be 100 more posts about it.

AtlCB

Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH said:
Mississippi, Chattanooga, Houston, Tulsa, University of Central Florida, UTEP, East Carolina, UAB, Tennessee, Southern Miss, Marshall and Akron. Any of those teams scare you? That's who Williams played to get his 1900 yards.

White had a tougher schedule and was splitting time with the Heisman Trophy winner. He gained 1300 yards on 197 carries, whilte Williams got his 1900 yards on 309 carries. Had White carried the entire load for USC and carried the ball the same amout as Williams, he would've rushed for more yards than Williams.

Don't go by yards alone. White also rushed for more TDs (24 to 18) than Williams and also caught the ball out of the backfield for over 200 yards. Williams had 12 catches for 78 yards.

Don't get me wrong. I think Williams will have a good career, but I think White is the better back.

To be fair, the PAC-10 (other than USC) hasn't exactly been tearing up the competition in the last four years.