SI Albert Breer: Still some smart free signings available coz of their age

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I can't figure out if we are in the 2nd or 3rd wave........I think it is the 3rd (lol)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/18/takeaways-aaron-donald-rams-fields-bears-steelers

There will be smart signings this week—and some of them will be guys who are available now because of their age. Which is seen as a drawback by a lot of folks, but it doesn’t have to be.

The last iteration of the Patriots dynasty feasted on third-contract guys like that, and the Ravens have done something similar, both with the same logic. The thinking goes that when you sign someone who lasted that long in the league, you’re not guessing on how they’ll handle money, you have a longer track record to go on, and in a lot of cases (not all) you’ll get a player who’ll bring leadership ability to the table.

Among those who fit into that category this year for Baltimore: Odell Beckham Jr., Kevin Zeitler, Michael Pierce, Jadeveon Clowney and Ronald Darby.

So that’s my way of saying that free agency isn’t over, and some smart, enterprising team could wind up getting a lot out of someone from this 30-something bucket of players: CB Xavien Howard, OT Trent Brown, S Justin Simmons, CB Stephon Gilmore, CB Steven Nelson, DE Calais Campbell, WR Michael Thomas, QB Ryan Tannehill or even a couple of those Ravens names (Beckham, Zeitler and Clowney) we already mentioned.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nf...e-best-players-available?campaign=Twitter_atn

BTW.......Is there any price lower enough to consider Chase Young on a 1-year deal?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we need to go George Allen on it. Pick up a bunch of old guys on their last legs. If that doesn't work, we can pick up the guys who get cut off the 53-man rosters. Winning.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
BTW.......Is there any price lower enough to consider Chase Young on a 1-year deal?
If we arent serious on competing in 2024, sure. give him a two year, high incentive contract. Then again why wouldnt a number of teams, with much larger space, take that gamble?

Aven8

Reaction score
I can't figure out if we are in the 2nd or 3rd wave........I think it is the 3rd (lol)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/18/takeaways-aaron-donald-rams-fields-bears-steelers

There will be smart signings this week—and some of them will be guys who are available now because of their age. Which is seen as a drawback by a lot of folks, but it doesn’t have to be.

The last iteration of the Patriots dynasty feasted on third-contract guys like that, and the Ravens have done something similar, both with the same logic. The thinking goes that when you sign someone who lasted that long in the league, you’re not guessing on how they’ll handle money, you have a longer track record to go on, and in a lot of cases (not all) you’ll get a player who’ll bring leadership ability to the table.

Among those who fit into that category this year for Baltimore: Odell Beckham Jr., Kevin Zeitler, Michael Pierce, Jadeveon Clowney and Ronald Darby.

So that’s my way of saying that free agency isn’t over, and some smart, enterprising team could wind up getting a lot out of someone from this 30-something bucket of players: CB Xavien Howard, OT Trent Brown, S Justin Simmons, CB Stephon Gilmore, CB Steven Nelson, DE Calais Campbell, WR Michael Thomas, QB Ryan Tannehill or even a couple of those Ravens names (Beckham, Zeitler and Clowney) we already mentioned.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nf...e-best-players-available?campaign=Twitter_atn

Chase Young is Jaylon Smith 2.0. No thank you

Creeper

Reaction score
There are some good free agents still available, but if Dallas has not shown any interest yet, I doubt they will going forward. Clearly when Stephen said he would wait until the garbage is thrown out so he can dumpster dive he meant it.

Should we take a chance on Chase Young? He looked awful playing in SF, but maybe someone just needs to find his button to turn him on. It is hard to believe a player as highly touted as Young can be so bad on the field.

How about Jadeveon Clowney? Another player who came out of college with momentous hype. I think he is better than Young honestly, but he is 31.

Odell Beckham anyone? He is not what he used to be but he made some plays coming back from injury last year. Maybe with more recovery time he can be the #2 WR Dallas needs.

JK Dobbins os coming off an Achilles tear. He would need a thorough medical checkup. But if he passes he might be a worthy RB.

Then there is Teair Tart He is only 27. I always thought he was stout as a DT. Not sure what problems he had in Tennessee. Maybe he could help the Cowboys run defense.

Emmanuel Ogbah might be worth a look. The Cowboys might be a little thin at DE. Ogbah is 30 but could be a rotational player.

These are clearly not the best of the free agent players who were available but they are better than the scraps that will come after the draft.

tm1119

Reaction score
Cody Whitehair or Cole Mason.
Gotta fill at least 1 of the o-line spots (depending on their plans for Tyler) before the draft. Can’t have 2 rookies and/or Bass/Hoffman starting. There’s not much available at OT so getting an OC with legit starting experience would be nice.

D’Onta Foreman is a respectable big bodied complimentary RB

And DE is a pretty major need. We can’t rely on Sam Williams to play like 60% of the snaps and only have DE/DT types like Fehoko and Golston behind him. Romeo Okwara or Carl Lawson would be nice gets for cheap. It almost seems too easy to say that Jerry will bring back Randy Gregory though.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There are some good free agents still available, but if Dallas has not shown any interest yet, I doubt they will going forward. Clearly when Stephen said he would wait until the garbage is thrown out so he can dumpster dive he meant it.

Should we take a chance on Chase Young? He looked awful playing in SF, but maybe someone just needs to find his button to turn him on. It is hard to believe a player as highly touted as Young can be so bad on the field.

How about Jadeveon Clowney? Another player who came out of college with momentous hype. I think he is better than Young honestly, but he is 31.

Odell Beckham anyone? He is not what he used to be but he made some plays coming back from injury last year. Maybe with more recovery time he can be the #2 WR Dallas needs.

JK Dobbins os coming off an Achilles tear. He would need a thorough medical checkup. But if he passes he might be a worthy RB.

Then there is Teair Tart He is only 27. I always thought he was stout as a DT. Not sure what problems he had in Tennessee. Maybe he could help the Cowboys run defense.

Emmanuel Ogbah might be worth a look. The Cowboys might be a little thin at DE. Ogbah is 30 but could be a rotational player.

These are clearly not the best of the free agent players who were available but they are better than the scraps that will come after the draft.
Chase Young - I have no idea what's up with this guy. He looked like a monster coming into the league and has just not produced after a pretty decent rookie year. Guessing work ethic is just not there
Clowney - maybe worth a 1 year deal
OBJ - injuries have taken a toll on him - don't think he would beat out what we already have
JK Dobbins - just an injury waiting to happen. Looks great - then gets injured.
Tart - I wanted to get him when Tenn released him. I think Houston did, but he didn't do anything.
Ogbah - could get behind him on a 1 year deal. Nice added vet depth

I'd look to sign a vet Oline, Dline and RB - guessing Foreman would be best available for what we need.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
You tend to overpay the players in their prime that their previous team didn't think were worth the money during the first few days.

After that I always felt the veteran players in their early 30s carried the most value for what they bring. Yes you have to accept you're getting them on the back end of their career, but for a win now team looking to fill some holes and weakness they make a ton of sense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cody Whitehair or Cole Mason.
Gotta fill at least 1 of the o-line spots (depending on their plans for Tyler) before the draft. Can’t have 2 rookies and/or Bass/Hoffman starting. There’s not much available at OT so getting an OC with legit starting experience would be nice.

D’Onta Foreman is a respectable big bodied complimentary RB

And DE is a pretty major need. We can’t rely on Sam Williams to play like 60% of the snaps and only have DE/DT types like Fehoko and Golston behind him. Romeo Okwara or Carl Lawson would be nice gets for cheap. It almost seems too easy to say that Jerry will bring back Randy Gregory though.
I’ve always liked Foreman and I think he’s done a good job when given the opportunity.

Sydla

Reaction score
Only Week 2, boys. FA ain't starting for us until Week 3. That's when some of these guys will be desperate to get a piece of that $4MM in cap space we just created from Dak's restructure.

Polkton31

Reaction score
picking up old vets, and problem players.
Hey, it worked in "Major League". Maybe the Boys still have a chance. :lmao:
mlb-team.jpg

_sturt_

Reaction score
When you think about it, this reflects the essence of Joneses' philosophy versus much of the league.

2024-03-18_11-49-34.png.b746f5ac7d789f94c95a69c30a3380e1.png

Now, here's the natural follow-up question, of course... do value stocks or growth stocks tend to outperform the other? For the last 20 years, it's been growth by a solid margin.

Then again, here's why there's not equivocation with NFL free agency... stocks can be traded every day, and if I'm cash poor and want to take advantage of a new opportunity, I simply sell stock in order to reinvest it.

In other highly-significant words... there's no cap to contend with, and the assets are fairly liquid in the stock market... but in the NFL, those are considerations, and so, opportunity cost is a huge factor... every deal you make today potentially has big implications to what deals you can strike tomorrow, or next month or even next year.

The Joneses' are not necessarily crazy, then, to prefer value stocks/players. To the contrary, it is reasonable.