News: SI: Emmitt Smith son, EJ, has NFL future, College coach says

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Most of Emmitt’s family are running backs, fullbacks, linebackers… the thankless short stocky pounding positions, but all talented athletes. You just don’t hear about the rest because injuries took them out a long time ago. Emmitt was just a generic freak and darn lucky.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
If I was his father I would not want him to be drafted by Dallas, it takes a special person to live up to those expectations in NFL let alone on the same team.

Certainly giant shoes to fill and though you want your son to make his own path there's a pride in reliving similar experiences. For the same reasons many parents love to see their kids go to the same schools, take over the family business, enter similar fields etc.

plasticman

Reaction score
Why do they have to do this? It's a total hype piece that put tremendous pressure on this young man.

E.J. has a total of 159 yards rushing in his first two seasons. The kind of RB's that make it in the NFL don't have "breakout" seasons in college. They breakout from the beginning. His father had over 1300 yards rushing in his freshman year.

I don't know if this coach is selling tickets or attempting to inspire E.J. or just trying to convince the school's boosters to let him keep his job one more season, I don't know. He certainly isn't doing E.J. or his father a favor by making such a bold statement.

I hope E.J. works hard in school and earns his degree from Stanford. Statistically speaking, that degree will do him far better than any genetic advantage he inherited from his father.

Emmitt Smith was not a physically gifted phenom. His success was due to a combination of commitment, hard work, dedicated mentors and coaches, and a rare form of determination that most likely came from being constantly underrated and overlooked.

Emmitt Smith graduated from high school as the 2nd leading rusher in high school football history. He rushed for over 2000 yards in two of his high school years. He ran for over 100 yards in 45 of his 49 high school games.

In his very first college start, the 3rd game of his freshman year against Alabama, Emmitt Smith broke his college's single game rushing record of 224 yards as the Gators upset the Crimson Tide.. He recorded his first 1000 yards rushing in college faster than any other college RB in history.

E.J. will never have to rely on football as his only path to success. The circumstances are different, and he is a different person. It is wrong for anyone, including his coach, to publicly voice those kinds of expectations. I get that there are a lot of juniors in the NFL, particularly at this time. However, in most cases, the children have previously demonstrated an ability to exceed the performances of their fathers.

It is practically impossible for anyone to ever exceed what Emmitt did in high school, college, or the NFL

rambo2

Reaction score
Why do they have to do this? It's a total hype piece that put tremendous pressure on this young man.

E.J. has a total of 159 yards rushing in his first two seasons. The kind of RB's that make it in the NFL don't have "breakout" seasons in college. They breakout from the beginning. His father had over 1300 yards rushing in his freshman year.

I don't know if this coach is selling tickets or attempting to inspire E.J. or just trying to convince the school's boosters to let him keep his job one more season, I don't know. He certainly isn't doing E.J. or his father a favor by making such a bold statement.

I hope E.J. works hard in school and earns his degree from Stanford. Statistically speaking, that degree will do him far better than any genetic advantage he inherited from his father.

Emmitt Smith was not a physically gifted phenom. His success was due to a combination of commitment, hard work, dedicated mentors and coaches, and a rare form of determination that most likely came from being constantly underrated and overlooked.

Emmitt Smith graduated from high school as the 2nd leading rusher in high school football history. He rushed for over 2000 yards in two of his high school years. He ran for over 100 yards in 45 of his 49 high school games.

In his very first college start, the 3rd game of his freshman year against Alabama, Emmitt Smith broke his college's single game rushing record of 224 yards as the Gators upset the Crimson Tide.. He recorded his first 1000 yards rushing in college faster than any other college RB in history.

E.J. will never have to rely on football as his only path to success. The circumstances are different, and he is a different person. It is wrong for anyone, including his coach, to publicly voice those kinds of expectations. I get that there are a lot of juniors in the NFL, particularly at this time. However, in most cases, the children have previously demonstrated an ability to exceed the performances of their fathers.

It is practically impossible for anyone to ever exceed what Emmitt did in high school, college, or the NFL
Barry Sanders didn't play much as a freshman.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

I agree with most of what you say...
However, remember what Barry Sanders did in 1 year. No one but Barry Switzer knew what he would do as a starter telling his OU defense to not hurt Hall of Fame RB Thurman Thomas because he did not want to get Barry Sanders on the field and Sanders only had a grand total of 928 yards his freshman and Sophomore years at OSU.

We know, EJ Smith can run. However, when coaches say a RB can pass protect and catch, then pay attention. Because those are the keys to RB success in the NFL. Ask David Shaw about Christian McCaffrey.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
Didn’t Emmitt have a brother named Emory that never made it out of college?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Saw him in High School and thought he would be converted to WR. He was always taller than Emmitt so he must have added the strength and weight to go with good speed. Glad to hear he is a pass protector like his father. That means he can run, block, and catch. You do that well and you can be in the NFL.

RB is in the blood not only his father, but uncle and grandfather played semi pro at +40 years old.

I think Emory played in the NFL for a short period

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think Emory played in the NFL for a short period
He was drafted by the Packers if I'm not mistaken.. Had a cup of coffee with them and even eventually was a camp invite for the Cowboys but I don't think he ever made it off the practice squad at any of his stops.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
He was drafted by the Packers if I'm not mistaken.. Had a cup of coffee with them and even eventually was a camp invite for the Cowboys but I don't think he ever made it off the practice squad at any of his stops.
Yes. 3 generations and a uncle all played RB. Emory went to Clemson.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Barry Sanders didn't play much as a freshman.
That wasn’t long after they begin letting Freshman play with Varsity team.

But mostly it was about backing up Thurman Thomas his first two years.