News: SI: Emmitt Smith son, EJ, has NFL future, College coach says

Motorola

Reaction score
Think Jerry is watching this with great interest?
No doubt a Cowboys scout assigned to cover the Pac-12 and other conferences out west will have his eyes on Smith.
I'm sure a few Stanford games will be shown across the country this fall...especially if the Cardinal start off the season well. We can tune in and watch EJ play in live action.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm not sure I've ever been more impressed by a pro athlete more than Emmitt Smith.

They guy was not all that physically gifted (comparatively speaking) but had an unrelenting desire to be great.

Oddly enough, that's exactly what the Dallas Cowboys have been missing for two plus decades.

If the kid has better physical tools and the old man's desire, I'll go ahead and figure he is going to be pretty good as well.

mldardy

Reaction score

I've heard Emmitt speak plenty of times to know that he can speak well and that he's intelligent. Showing some worthless video where he's on scripted show where nerves may come into effect doesn't mean he's dumb. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, countless other ex-athletes failed on TV too. That doesn't make them not intelligent. I'm sure you get your jollies off of stuff like this. I know Emmitt is smarter and makes more money than you.

'HAHA look at this video.' Again LAME!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yes. 3 generations and a uncle all played RB. Emory went to Clemson.

I've met some of his family and they showed me the pictures. I'm telling you, that whole family in every direction is a football family. They all look like Emmitts. Short, stocky, tough. It's in the genes.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Didn’t Emmitt have a brother named Emory that never made it out of college?

Emory played for Clemson in college. He was with the Packers for a hot minute, and was briefly on the Cowboys' practice squad.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I've heard Emmitt speak plenty of times to know that he can speak well and that he's intelligent. Showing some worthless video where he's on scripted show where nerves may come into effect doesn't mean he's dumb. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, countless other ex-athletes failed on TV too. That doesn't make them not intelligent. I'm sure you get your jollies off of stuff like this. I know Emmitt is smarter and makes more money than you.

'HAHA look at this video.' Again LAME!

It's just good natured ribbing. Sorry it's not your cup of tea.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Yes. 3 generations and a uncle all played RB. Emory went to Clemson.

Emmitt had another brother, Erik, that was also a running back. If I'm not mistaken, he played his college ball at Troy State. He was a year behind Emmitt and was his backup in high school.

Motorola

Reaction score
It's interesting that both Barry Sanders Jr. and E.J. Smith both play/played for Stanford.
IMO -both fathers know the university fields a top-level football program - but still emphasizes to football players - and all of their student-athletes - the oppurtunity to achieve quality academic success while simultaneously striving to pursue an NFL career.

Also - look up the resume of the Cardinal HC David Shaw (a Stanford alumnus btw).

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That wasn’t long after they begin letting Freshman play with Varsity team.

But mostly it was about backing up Thurman Thomas his first two years.

Actually it was.. The class of 1975 was the first freshman class that could play varsity.. Sanders graduated in 1989 so it was over a decade removed.. and a lot of freshmen had done major damage on varsity in the interim.. In fact some guy named Herschel was so good as a frosh be probably should have won the Heisman.. I think our own Tony Dorsett (Pitt class of '76) was the first ever freshman RB to gain 1000 yards in a season..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Actually it was.. The class of 1975 was the first freshman class that could play varsity.. Sanders graduated in 1989 so it was over a decade removed.. and a lot of freshmen had done major damage on varsity in the interim.. In fact some guy named Herschel was so good as a frosh be probably should have won the Heisman.. I think our own Tony Dorsett (Pitt class of '76) was the first ever freshman RB to gain 1000 yards in a season..
Yep but you missed the point in my second sentence. My first sentence wasn’t meant to be a reason why. Just adding historical context. But I can see how you misread or missed my intentions. Thanks

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yep but you missed the point in my second sentence. My first sentence wasn’t meant to be a reason why. Just adding historical context. But I can see how you misread or missed my intentions. Thanks

Yeah now reading it back I kinda did miss your point.. Sorry. But you hit the nail on the head. Barry sat behind Thurman that first year. Really the first two years. No shame because Thurman was phenomenal at Okie State. Dude ran for 1600+ yards his last season there. If not for injuries he most certainly would have been a top 10 pick.. I also suspect Barry had some filling out to do when he got to Stillwater. All the moves in the world don't do no good if you can be tackled by a guy just swatting his hand at you..