SI has Ron Leary listed as a Cap casualty

Techsass

Reaction score
Denver placed him on IR 12/12/17 for a back injury. Seems he had already missed games 13 & 14.

Poor guy started the season with a concussion in game 1, but made it back for game2.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Since when is SI right about anything? Denver has to pay him the guaranteed money if they cut him! Why do that if you can keep him and let him either earn it or restructure his deal? I believe NOTHING SI says, IF TRUE. Now if Denver is dumb enough to cut him and pay him a boat load of greenbacks,then more power to him! Good for him. Dallas could bring him back on the cheap in that case,and I bet ya he would do it,if even for a year..a bridge to the next guy up. He was a solid cog at LG for us. We missed him last year and it showed.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Maybe this is why............If our top LG targets are gone by 50 and Bronco have drafted Nelson, why offer one our comp 4th to bring him back home. We can quickly restructure his deal to a lower number with a little more guarantee.

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draft2018.php
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/images/fball/broncosb_logo.gif Denver Broncos: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/NotreDame_logo.gif
The Broncos are one of the front-runners to acquire Kirk Cousins. John Elway is going to push hard for him, and Cousins has expressed desire to play there. This mock draft will assume that Cousins goes to Denver.

If quarterback is out of the picture at No. 5 overall, I believe this pick will be Quenton Nelson. This may seem a bit too early for a guard, but Nelson is the best player in this class behind Saquon Barkley. Besides, the Commanders used the fifth-overall selection on Brandon Scherff several years ago, and that panned out. Denver desperately needs to improve its blocking, and Nelson is the only prospect worth taking at No. 5
If Denver drafts a guard at 5 thats monumentally dumb. They need a QB BAD. I would get Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen. Mayfield may have hit his ceiling,and Allen reminds me of a bigger Jake Plummer. I would get Allen at 5 unless he's gone. In that case I'm trading back if I'm Denver. A guard at 5 is too rich IMO. Leary will be in Denver.

Techsass

Reaction score
Everybody thinks they're getting Cousins. Agree #5 is way too rich for a guard & I also think Leary isn't going anywhere. They're dumping players to get Cap space. No way they'd just throw away $9m.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Everybody thinks they're getting Cousins. Agree #5 is way too rich for a guard & I also think Leary isn't going anywhere. They're dumping players to get Cap space. No way they'd just throw away $9m.
I have a sneaky feeling Cousins will be in Cleveland or Buffalo. Denver will have to draft a QB high. Elway knows this. I see some great olineman dropping to us at 19.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Everyone thinks McCarron will be in Cleveland..I'm not so sure. Watch out for the Jets.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Leary a good player when he was here, but that ship has sailed and those knees are not getting healthy, coupled with being placed on IR for a back injury a good player when fit, but I would rather draft an OG to be the long term LG and have Cooper who has less miles on the clock play back up.

DanA

Reaction score
As always there is a price where I would entertain taking Leary. I suspect that's below market value, however, I think maybe 5m APY compared to the 9m APY he got at Denver. With not a whole lot guaranteed after the first year given the injury risk.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Why would either team want him?
He is a riser. He has played very well when called on. Thats why. If he wasnt in Cincy he would be competing for a starting QB job somewhere. Its a well known fact around the NFL. Good QB's don't grow on trees.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
As always there is a price where I would entertain taking Leary. I suspect that's below market value, however, I think maybe 5m APY compared to the 9m APY he got at Denver. With not a whole lot guaranteed after the first year given the injury risk.

No thanks, cheaper and better in the long run to draft an OG within the first 2 days of the draft.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'd bring him back on a friendly deal...can't hurt.
He's an up-grade over Cooper,knows the system...played well here.
We could still target an OG later in the draft.

I'm thinking that Dallas should just target the best offensive or defensive lineman in their sights at 19.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I'm thinking that Dallas should just target the best offensive or defensive lineman in their sights at 19.
0 problem with that.
I read that Notre Dame OT Mike McGlinchey could play OG and has in the past.
Very intrigued by the big Irish OT.

John813

Reaction score
His 2018 base is fully guaranteed. Unless they just wanted him gone as a June 1st cut then I don't see the point of cutting him this year, regardless of health.
24 million was guaranteed incase of injury.

His deal is set up as 2 years with the Broncos guaranteed. 3rd year is when they can cut him, get 7.6 mil in cap savings and only have ~2mil dead

JustChip

Reaction score
I'd bring him back on a friendly deal...can't hurt.
He's an up-grade over Cooper,knows the system...played well here.
We could still target an OG later in the draft.

Leary of 2 years ago was an upgrade. Not so sure Leary is.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Dallas can consider him all they want. He would never come back, he was done with Dallas the moment Collins took his spot. He is good player anda pro but he is not going to be wearing the Dallas Star on his helmet ever again.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Dallas can consider him all they want. He would never come back, he was done with Dallas the moment Collins took his spot. He is good player anda pro but he is not going to be wearing the Dallas Star on his helmet ever again.

Collins never took his spot, Leary played LG, Collins plays RT, Collins took over from Doug Free, when he retired.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Collins never took his spot, Leary played LG, Collins plays RT, Collins took over from Doug Free, when he retired.
Uh wrong Collins took over for Leary, Collins rookie year when Leary got.dinged up. and Leary was.mad he lost his spot due to injury. he would have left before 2016-17 season but was rfa. Dallas did look for suitors. he played well in 16-17 and parlayed into a nicecontract with Denver. the plan last off season was to Collins at LG but free retired.