News: SI: Lb Jabril Cox: "I plan to be ready at camp."

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Mike Fisher

Jabril Cox - a standout prospect from the 2021 NFL Draft who was working on the cords with trainers at OTAs - afterwards told CowboysSI.com that his timetable for a full return is the late-July start of training camp in Oxnard.

"I feel great in my workouts,'' Cox told us. "I'm happy with where I am. I plan on being ready at camp.''

Cox, a 24-year-old playmaker at LSU (the fourth-rounder had 6.5 tackles for loss and three interceptions in his final season) was to play a big role in Dallas’ linebacker rotation during his rookie year. But he suffered a torn ACL that forced him to miss the bulk of the year.

Cox said his long time on the sideline allowed him a learning experience.

"I got to see the game from a different perspective,'' said Cox, who according to coach Mike McCarthy has spent his offseason at The Star "non-stop.'' "It was humbling.''

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...-injury-timetable-training-camp-micah-parsons

I think if he can get healthy, he has a good chance of filling that Keanu Neal role and maybe even making it better, because I think he's stronger in coverage than Neal. I don't see him taking the LVE role in the base because I'm not as sure about his run-stopping abilities. We usually have two linebackers out there in that set with the DEs playing like OLBs and three downlinemen, so Parsons and LVE will be primarily out there for that. When we're in nickel, it will be Cox, Parsons and Kearse as the linebackers in a 4-3/4-2-5 set. So Cox is set to get a lot of playing time since we primarily play nickel, if he shows he can handle it.

Can't wait to see Clark mixed into the group. Don't think he'll take LVE's role this year, but if he can get back from his injury, I'm sure we'll at least play him some to see if he can take over next year when LVE heads back into free agency.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
H-m-m, Jabril Cox called it a "humbling experience," which causes me to squirm in my seat, a little. I'm just hoping that humbling experience won't distract from his aggressiveness in some extreme manner. I imagine we'll just have to sit tight and hope for the best. At his best, he'll be one to appreciate, for sure. I'm really hoping the best version of him prevails.

Here's hoping he'll remain the talented OLB that we drafted, although it's understandable if such an injury might affect a guy's aggressive play at times. Let's hope it's temporary and not something that will linger indefinitely. At least, he's apparently ready to report right on schedule, so there's something that's especially positive to smile about . . . ;)

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
One of my favorite players to watch this season, and @gimmesix is dialed in exactly with what Q covets', he must have that hybrid transitional play in the back seven, and Cox has already shown and was fitting in well until the ACL.
Q needs the playmaker in that role, grabbed what he could last year with Neal, drafted Cox, and I like doubling down with rookie Harper.
Others in the mix as well, but it's the profile of the player that you look at and start to understand what exactly that player is that Q is desperately seeking.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
One of my favorite players to watch this season, and @gimmesix is dialed in exactly with what Q covets', he must have that hybrid transitional play in the back seven, and Cox has already shown and was fitting in well until the ACL.
Q needs the playmaker in that role, grabbed what he could last year with Neal, drafted Cox, and I like doubling down with rookie Harper.
Others in the mix as well, but it's the profile of the player that you look at and start to understand what exactly that player is that Q is desperately seeking.

I agree that Harper fits that mold as far as quickness goes. I'm not sure that coverage is his strength, though.

Coverage Ability: Gains good depth in his drops, and stays on his toes at the route's breaking point. Gets out and covers the flats for check-downs well. Lacks the ideal anticipation you would like to see in coverage. Can be flat-footed in his zone assignment. Struggles to keep up with seam routes from tight ends.

Strengths:
To be honest, this list isn’t going to be very long. He has a decent amount of experience, and he has very good athletic testing. He has flashed the ability to time up the snap count, although it is not on a consistent basis. He gains good depth in his drops when in coverage, but wouldn’t rely on him in man coverage.

Weaknesses:
Harper lacks the ideal range you covet in a linebacker, he is also a slow processor at times. He is often fooled by misdirection and loses track of where the ball is. He is not reliable in man coverage, and he has moments of appearing uninterested in the play on film, and showing laziness. He doesn’t take on contact well and struggles to disengage from blocks. He lacks any real pass rush moves, and he has taken a number of poor pursuit angles.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
There's no player I'm more excited to see than this man! Kearse and Cox jerseys is what I'll be wearing this season!

mperfection

Reaction score
can't wait for him and Damon to be healthy...defense going to be scary for years to come and we haven't had this consistency on that side of the ball in a long time...it's kind of nice to have the defense carry us instead of rely for Dak to throw for 400-500 yards and win by 3 points
I was just thinking to myself …can’t wait to see Parsona, Cox, and D. Clark on the field at the same time. Scary good! That will have to wait until 2023 though.

quickccc

Reaction score
Mike Fisher

Jabril Cox - a standout prospect from the 2021 NFL Draft who was working on the cords with trainers at OTAs - afterwards told CowboysSI.com that his timetable for a full return is the late-July start of training camp in Oxnard.

"I feel great in my workouts,'' Cox told us. "I'm happy with where I am. I plan on being ready at camp.''

Cox, a 24-year-old playmaker at LSU (the fourth-rounder had 6.5 tackles for loss and three interceptions in his final season) was to play a big role in Dallas’ linebacker rotation during his rookie year. But he suffered a torn ACL that forced him to miss the bulk of the year.

Cox said his long time on the sideline allowed him a learning experience.

"I got to see the game from a different perspective,'' said Cox, who according to coach Mike McCarthy has spent his offseason at The Star "non-stop.'' "It was humbling.''

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...-injury-timetable-training-camp-micah-parsons

I really hopes it turns out well for Jabrail Cox.

I am still stunned for one that was so well thought of and regarded in the NFL draft, Cox only received a mere 8 snaps before he eventually suffered the ACL injury,
Pre-draft, supposedly Cowboys had a second round grade on Cox, but somehow he dropped all the way to the 4th round, where we nabbed him.

As I remembered, Cox’s pluses were his instincts and agility in defending the pass,. .his questions were his lack of physicality vs the run.

Physically he’s not the biggest guy as a LB, but there has always been some very good smallish LBs that manage to play bigger than what their size suggests.
ala Darrin Smith, Dexter Coakely, Dat Nyguen, etc.

I think he could developed into a welcomed strength when it comes to how he plays the passing lanes.
and i do know i really want to see him develop and emerge over the likes of Luke Gifford, especially if he is everything the club's draft board
had him graded and valued.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Let's hope for the best. He played in 7 games and had a whopping 9 defensive snaps last season. let's hope he did learn some things watching last year because he clearly wasn't ready to play prior to his injury.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
anybody else just waiting for the kid to get hurt again? I mean like, these are the Cowboys and bad things tend to happen to us....let's hope not but I have no faith due well, Cowboys football and I am in a snarky mood

chagus

Reaction score
anybody else just waiting for the kid to get hurt again? I mean like, these are the Cowboys and bad things tend to happen to us....let's hope not but I have no faith due well, Cowboys football and I am in a snarky mood
No. None of us are waiting for that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think if he can get healthy, he has a good chance of filling that Keanu Neal role and maybe even making it better, because I think he's stronger in coverage than Neal. I don't see him taking the LVE role in the base because I'm not as sure about his run-stopping abilities. We usually have two linebackers out there in that set with the DEs playing like OLBs and three downlinemen, so Parsons and LVE will be primarily out there for that. When we're in nickel, it will be Cox, Parsons and Kearse as the linebackers in a 4-3/4-2-5 set. So Cox is set to get a lot of playing time since we primarily play nickel, if he shows he can handle it.

Can't wait to see Clark mixed into the group. Don't think he'll take LVE's role this year, but if he can get back from his injury, I'm sure we'll at least play him some to see if he can take over next year when LVE heads back into free agency.

I couldnt agree more. I really love that Clark pick in the 5th round.

Parsons, Clark, Cox is a fast and active linebacking group.

I honestly think this defense going into next season will be one stud DT away from being a top 3 defense.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think Cox was the one that met the giants qb at the goal line and smacked him down..

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Linebacker is the weak spot on defense as far as bodies are concerned. Glad his progressing. One more linebacker draft and we’ll be nasty

glimmerman

Reaction score
And Daniel Jones made the mistake of getting back up. Reminded me of me back in my college days on Friday night.
Lol. I couldn’t remember his name. I remember he was shaking cobwebs out for a while.