CFZ Signing LVE this off-season vs Signing Bobby Wagner

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was very much in favor of signing Bobby Wagner this off-season as opposed to signing LVE. Wagner is a HOF talent who has continued to perform at very high level, even now at 33. As I watched the Cowboys once again get gashed in the running game yesterday, I wondered again, “Why didn’t we sign Bobby Wagner?”

The argument I heard from our FO against signing Wagner was pretty much centered on the idea that he was too expensive and at 33 was on the downside of a great career. Problem is when I looked at Wagner’s deal with Seattle and compared it to LVE, here’s what I discovered:
  • LVE’s contract: signed a 2 year, $8,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $2,500,000 signing bonus, $5,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,000,000.
  • Bobby Wagner‘s contract with Sea: signed a 1 year, $5,500,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $1,250,000 signing bonus, $5,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000.
I don’t understand why we couldn’t have signed Wagner. His guaranteed amount is only $500k more than LVE’s deal.

Now let’s compare stats after (only) 3 games:
  • LVE: 14 Total tackles, 10 solo, 4 assisted, 0 TFLs, 0 sacks
  • Wagner: 33 Total tackles, 18 solo, 15 assisted, 1 TFL, 0 sacks.
LVE has not played bad until yesterday. But he’s always been a health risk and has missed 16 games in 5 years. Wagner has only missed 2 games in last 5 years. He’s incredibly durable.

Wagner is a beast against the run and we could have had him for almost the same price. I’m not a LVE hater. But who would you rather have right now? LVE or Wagner? At almost the same price.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Does it really matter? This is a paper tiger question. As of now they have who they have.

Would you rather have our QB or Kansas's QB?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was very much in favor of signing Bobby Wagner this off-season as opposed to signing LVE. Wagner is a HOF talent who has continued to perform at very high level, even now at 33. As I watched the Cowboys once again get gashed in the running game yesterday, I wondered again, “Why didn’t we sign Bobby Wagner?”

The argument I heard from our FO against signing Wagner was pretty much centered on the idea that he was too expensive and at 33 was on the downside of a great career. Problem is when I looked at Wagner’s deal with Seattle and compared it to LVE, here’s what I discovered:
  • LVE’s contract: signed a 2 year, $8,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $2,500,000 signing bonus, $5,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,000,000.
  • Bobby Wagner‘s contract with Sea: signed a 1 year, $5,500,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $1,250,000 signing bonus, $5,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000.
I don’t understand why we couldn’t have signed Wagner. His guaranteed amount is only $500k more than LVE’s deal.

LVE has not played bad until yesterday. But he’s always been a health risk and has missed 16 games in 5 years. Wagner has only missed 2 games in last 5 years. He’s incredibly durable.

Wagner is a beast against the run and we could have had him for almost the same price. I’m not a LVE hater. But who would you rather have right now? LVE or Wagner? At almost the same price.
Nobody overvalues the Dallas Cowboys players like the Dallas Cowboys.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yep, count me in on wanting Wagner for LVE.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All this is assuming Wagner wanted to come to Dallas.

Despite what people say not every player wants to be a Cowboy.

I just wish we had drafted him to start with!
Yeah except when the Cowboys drafted Claiborne and the reports came out it would have been Wagner and Brockers if they hadn't, I'd bet my wedding tackle you were happy with Claiborne.

Admit it.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score

BW and the Clampetts went the cheap route, you get what you paid for.

exciter

Reaction score

If we had signed Wagner we would be getting the same type of post today about him that we’re getting about Gilmore. It was a complete defensive breakdown vs mis direction. One player wasn’t going to change that not even a young Wagner much less the old washed up one!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah except when the Cowboys drafted Claiborne and the reports came out it would have been Wagner and Brockers if they hadn't, I'd bet my wedding tackle you were happy with Claiborne.

Admit it.
I wanted no part of him. He was just a dumb player. When word got out it would have been Wagner at 14 I thought we pulled another Randy Moss. Yep we did.