CFZ Signing LVE this off-season vs Signing Bobby Wagner

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I was very much in favor of signing Bobby Wagner this off-season as opposed to signing LVE. Wagner is a HOF talent who has continued to perform at very high level, even now at 33. As I watched the Cowboys once again get gashed in the running game yesterday, I wondered again, “Why didn’t we sign Bobby Wagner?”

The argument I heard from our FO against signing Wagner was pretty much centered on the idea that he was too expensive and at 33 was on the downside of a great career. Problem is when I looked at Wagner’s deal with Seattle and compared it to LVE, here’s what I discovered:
  • LVE’s contract: signed a 2 year, $8,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $2,500,000 signing bonus, $5,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,000,000.
  • Bobby Wagner‘s contract with Sea: signed a 1 year, $5,500,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $1,250,000 signing bonus, $5,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000.
I don’t understand why we couldn’t have signed Wagner. His guaranteed amount is only $500k more than LVE’s deal.

Now let’s compare stats after (only) 3 games:
  • LVE: 14 Total tackles, 10 solo, 4 assisted, 0 TFLs, 0 sacks
  • Wagner: 33 Total tackles, 18 solo, 15 assisted, 1 TFL, 0 sacks.
LVE has not played bad until yesterday. But he’s always been a health risk and has missed 16 games in 5 years. Wagner has only missed 2 games in last 5 years. He’s incredibly durable.

Wagner is a beast against the run and we could have had him for almost the same price. I’m not a LVE hater. But who would you rather have right now? LVE or Wagner? At almost the same price.
I think he likely would have opted for the Seahawks if the Cowboys weren't offering substantially more.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because it made sense. Hell i'd sign them both just in case if i could make it work for the 53.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was very much in favor of signing Bobby Wagner this off-season as opposed to signing LVE. Wagner is a HOF talent who has continued to perform at very high level, even now at 33. As I watched the Cowboys once again get gashed in the running game yesterday, I wondered again, “Why didn’t we sign Bobby Wagner?”

The argument I heard from our FO against signing Wagner was pretty much centered on the idea that he was too expensive and at 33 was on the downside of a great career. Problem is when I looked at Wagner’s deal with Seattle and compared it to LVE, here’s what I discovered:
  • LVE’s contract: signed a 2 year, $8,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $2,500,000 signing bonus, $5,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,000,000.
  • Bobby Wagner‘s contract with Sea: signed a 1 year, $5,500,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $1,250,000 signing bonus, $5,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000.
I don’t understand why we couldn’t have signed Wagner. His guaranteed amount is only $500k more than LVE’s deal.

LVE has not played bad until yesterday. But he’s always been a health risk and has missed 16 games in 5 years. Wagner has only missed 2 games in last 5 years. He’s incredibly durable.

Wagner is a beast against the run and we could have had him for almost the same price. I’m not a LVE hater. But who would you rather have right now? LVE or Wagner? At almost the same price.
It was the exact type of losing move that the front office has made for years. They will NEVER be willing to add the final pieces that are required to go from being a good team to a dangerous team.

Cmac

Reaction score
Jerry should be shameful just by the mere fact he thinks he is fooling many.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Do we know if Dallas was Wagner's preferred destination? He had a lot of good years in Seattle and it's familiar surroundings.

A third team in three years or return to Seattle? I don't know, of course, but I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle was his preference.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
If we only had a real GM. Just think how many Super Bowls we would of had by now. Jerry is a complete fool when it comes to football.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
If we had signed Wagner we would be getting the same type of post today about him that we’re getting about Gilmore. It was a complete defensive breakdown vs mis direction. One player wasn’t going to change that not even a young Wagner much less the old washed up one!
LVE has been one of the worst lbers against misdirection ive seen. Him and jaylon got cooked on it constantly. They were the reason we got crushed against the rams in the playoffs

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
I was all for Wagner coming over and the fact their #s are similar is sickening and I am not even a LVE hater. Just comparing the two players its light and day which one would help our team more for similar price.

quickccc

Reaction score
Do we know if Dallas was Wagner's preferred destination? He had a lot of good years in Seattle and it's familiar surroundings.

A third team in three years or return to Seattle? I don't know, of course, but I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle was his preference.
Didn't Wagner visited the Ravens before making his final decision to return to Seattle ?

At age 33, Wagner was coming off his actual best season stats wise with the Rams, with a career-high 170 tackles in 16 games played, and also recorded a sack and an interception.

I thought he could have provided the leadership and playmaking ability here with the Cowboys that LVE could not/was not - if his price was right.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Our front office overvalues their own free agents.
Been a problem for Years.

Praxit

Reaction score
..wow, thats nuts. Of course, Wagner for me. But then if LVE, intercepts Purdy in the End Zone.

Im going to be hating myself. ;)..

fivetwos

Reaction score
I DM'd you pics.
The day that YOU take the time to send a DM to ME is the day I begin to develop an over-exaggerated sense of self importance, so maybe we avoid that part.

It does however beg the question….wedding tackle or business decision?

Fair question.