Sin of Omission: Harvey Martin

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The Hall of Fame just announced their preliminary list of 2007 nominees. Jerry Jones actually made the list for the first time. Too Tall and Drew Pearson also made the list, but there's a man who is probably more deserving than any of them who did not. Nowhere to be found on the preliminary list of 111 players, coaches, and contributors is the late Harvey Martin.

If you look at the All-Decade Team of the 1970's, as selected by the HOF selection Committee in 1980. It was comprised of 45 position players. Of those, 34 are already in the Hall of Fame. Six who aren't showed up on this latest preliminary list (players like Drew Pearson), three are no longer eligible because they retired prior to 1982 (Cliff Harris is one of those), and the 45th and last player who isn't in any of those categories is Martin.

Martin did not make the preliminary list, although he is still eligible for regular selection to the hall, and although he was named one of the 45 best players of a 10-year period (the 70's). When you count the 100+ players on this preliminary list and the 50 or so players from Martin's era that have gone into the HOF since his retirement, this means he's no longer considered even one of the 150 best players of his era.

To give an idea of the enormity of the change in perception about Harvey Martin that has occurred over the last 25 years, consider that, in addition to making the All-Decade Team, he went to four Pro Bowls, was the co-MVP of Super Bowl XII, and in 1977, had 23 sacks (which would've been a record if sacks had been an official stat back then), and was named AP Defensive Player of the Year. You could make a very strong argument that Martin deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Hall of Famer Dan Hampton went to the same number of Pro Bowls, won the same number of rings, but was never SBMVP or Player of the Year, and Harvey Martin was both.

Players play their careers, and that's their statement for history to judge. The people who watched them and played with them at the time know them best. What is it that voters think they know about Harvey now that nobody else knew when he was playing?

If Harvey were still around today he might be asking what he did to slip so far in 25 years. I don't know if Jerry has given the media his reaction to being named to this preliminary list, but when he does, he'd better mention #79.

2much2soon

Reaction score
It was a beautiful thing back then with Too Tall on one side and Harvey on the other.
And yea, Harvey Martin was a tremendous player.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
Harvey Martin is the best pass rusher the cowboys have ever had!

Big Dakota

Reaction score
percyhoward;1122627 said:
The Hall of Fame just announced their preliminary list of 2007 nominees. Jerry Jones actually made the list for the first time. Too Tall and Drew Pearson also made the list, but there's a man who is probably more deserving than any of them who did not. Nowhere to be found on the preliminary list of 111 players, coaches, and contributors is the late Harvey Martin.

If you look at the All-Decade Team of the 1970's, as selected by the HOF selection Committee in 1980. It was comprised of 45 position players. Of those, 34 are already in the Hall of Fame. Six who aren't showed up on this latest preliminary list (players like Drew Pearson), three are no longer eligible because they retired prior to 1982 (Cliff Harris is one of those), and the 45th and last player who isn't in any of those categories is Martin.

Martin did not make the preliminary list, although he is still eligible for regular selection to the hall, and although he was named one of the 45 best players of a 10-year period (the 70's). When you count the 100+ players on this preliminary list and the 50 or so players from Martin's era that have gone into the HOF since his retirement, this means he's no longer considered even one of the 150 best players of his era.

To give an idea of the enormity of the change in perception about Harvey Martin that has occurred over the last 25 years, consider that, in addition to making the All-Decade Team, he went to four Pro Bowls, was the co-MVP of Super Bowl XII, and in 1977, had 23 sacks (which would've been a record if sacks had been an official stat back then), and was named AP Defensive Player of the Year. You could make a very strong argument that Martin deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Hall of Famer Dan Hampton went to the same number of Pro Bowls, won the same number of rings, but was never SBMVP or Player of the Year, and Harvey Martin was both.

Players play their careers, and that's their statement for history to judge. The people who watched them and played with them at the time know them best. What is it that voters think they know about Harvey now that nobody else knew when he was playing?

If Harvey were still around today he might be asking what he did to slip so far in 25 years. I don't know if Jerry has given the media his reaction to being named to this preliminary list, but when he does, he'd better mention #79.

Great read, where did it originate?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
most dont recall just how dominant Martin was...he was awesome

and in that 23 sack season, I recall Randy White and Martin saying later in their careers that had sacks been an official stat, he could have easily had 4 or 5 more that yr

also as FYI, Martin was no one year wonder...the next season he had 16 or 17 sacks, as did DT Randy White

David

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
HOF process is rigged. Has been for years.

I wouldnt waste my time with it.

The only Hall of Fame I worry about it is the Ring above Texas Stadium.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1122787 said:
Great read, where did it originate?
Thank you for that, it's mine. Although I wish it had been from some writer, because it would show that somebody with some influence didn't forget about Harvey Martin.

I was reading that Pearson, Too Tall, and Jerry had made it, and immediately wondered, where's Martin? I didn't think his eligibility was up yet. Sure enough it isn't. Harvey retired in 1983, same year as Drew, Randy Gradishar, Harold Carmicheal, Ken Riley, and Brian Sipe, who are all on the list.

To add a little more perspective, you can look at the players on the list who retired in 1983, and only Gradishar went to more Pro Bowls than Martin. Ken Riley was never named to a Pro Bowl squad, and Sipe went to one.

Oh, and you won't find Harvey in the Ring of Honor either.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
If anyone thinks the Hall of Fame is so 'great', then ask yourself...

What about Chuck Howley ?

Nuff said.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Howley may be the biggest slap at the boys of all. Mulitple ALL-Pros (back when that really meant something) the only player on the losing team in the SB to be the MVP. THere is NO excuse.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Had this poster when I was a kid.

Martin was Great and should be in the Hall!

I wish the Cowboys uniforms were still these colors.

HMartin%20(2).jpg

STSINAZ

Reaction score
23 sacks...think about that...unbelievable...if we had a guy today who registered 23 sacks and had the career that martin did, they would be getting his bust ready as we speak!

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
eduncan22;1122823 said:
If anyone thinks the Hall of Fame is so 'great', then ask yourself...

What about Chuck Howley ?

Nuff said.
Howley is the all-time biggest Cowboys HOF snub. But at least he's in the Ring of Honor.

It's a really strange thing how perceptions change over time.

It's amazing that the writers who have joined the HOF committee since 1980 somehow seem to think they have more or better knowledge of Martin than the members of that same committee who covered him during his playing days and considered him an All-Decade player. Now Martin can't even make a preliminary list, which includes many players who accomplished far less in their careers. I have to believe that having Martin's name in the Ring of Honor would help these new people remember. He deserves to be remembered, at least by his own team.

When Martin and Brian Sipe retired in 1983, you wouldn't have been able to find ten Browns fans who could tell you with a straight face that Sipe was a better player than Harvey Martin. And Ken Riley???

Jerry Jones should be embarrassed that he is on this list himself, and Martin isn't. It's Jerry who has the power to put Martin in the Ring of Honor. Jerry's done a lot for the Cowboys and the NFL, but what about what Schramm's Cowboys (like Harvey Martin) helped do for Jerry?

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
They use the Ring of Honor against us. It seems that any Dallas player is now subjected to a double standard, just to reach the Hall.

In other words...how can we elect 'said player' to the Hall, when they aren't even in the ring of honor.

Its all BS.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
Ok what about Bob Hayes. Are the kidding the man changed defenses, The made the zone for him
please its sicking hall of shame makes me sick every time I hear about it--------Mike Webster steroid Monster.