Twitter: Since Chargers won, Dallas back on pace for 4th overall

ondaedg

Reaction score
Great news! Unfortunately we all know this means the cowboys will blow it with a few meaningless wins

We can’t get the final two games of the season right. We lose when we need to win and win when we would benefit from a loss. :angry:

Not really a tanker but would love to see us get the highest pick possible and trade down for a mass redraft of defense.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Our SOS the rest of the way is easier than the Chargers as they have the Chiefs left to play. I would think that means if we end up with the same record we would have the tiebreaker. That assumes that the SOS calculation is only for games played and the Chiefs/Chargers game has not already been calculated in there.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I never said they would try and lose....I said they would blow it by winning meaningless games and hurting their draft position....it’s the cowboys way
Dont forget Jerry getting up there and beating his chest after this week.

Telling anyone who will listen how they just beat up on the team that went to the SB last year.

Things like that are what makes them tell themselves they are THAT close and some draft picks alone will fix it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming this means even if we beat the 49ers, we'll be no worse than 4th overall after week 15.

A lot can still change with 3 games remaining, but if they lose out, the 4th overall pick is like a winning lottery ticket. Cincy can either select Sewell or trade the pick to a QB needy team, in which Sewell falls in our laps or they take Sewell and we get the first call for trading back for a team looking for a QB. Sure, it will depend upon whose right behind us, but it's looking like a very favorable position to be in. However, do not want to trade past the top 10.

JBond

Reaction score
I think there’s a real possibility we’ll get the same player at 7 or 8 that we would at 4. It’s going to be difficult reaching a consensus on players this year due to players sitting out.
LB

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Just as importantly, has anyone been watching Herbert play? He's an example of a how & why you can reset your whole team with a young cheap QB. They may be scary good the next few years.

In today's NFL you have to be willing to think outside the box and avoid giving elite money to average or solid players. Elite money is reserved for elite players. Period. When it comes to the Dak saga-- the Cowboys blew it by not tying him up earlier (if he was indeed "their guy"). Now-- he wants top 3 money, and he is not a top 3 QB.

Therefore, the FO needs to flex and adapt and consider ALL options available to them to field a competitive roster. Currently, paying Dak elite money will result in the status quo of the past 4 years: Competitive offense, Horrific defense. Committing the cap capital to Dak will severely restrict the defensive rebuild they MUST implement if they are to actually improve as a team.

So, make your last best offer to Dak. If he plays hardball, then tag him and look to trade him ahead of the draft. Picking in the top 5 (and acquiring picks for Dak) will allow us the flexibility to get one of the top 3 QBs in this draft class. More importantly, it frees up needed cap room to shed/offload bad contracts over the next few seasons, as well as add some nice pieces to the D through Free Agency.

In this business, you can't afford to get sentimental. If JJ is anything-- it is sentimental. Dak is a GOOD QB, and I am actually a supporter. BUT-- his contract will doom us to 3-4 years of 7-9/10-6 seasons because we simply won't be able to field a defense that can stop anyone. And to your point in the OP-- Herbert's success (and Romo's for that matter) are there as precedent that you can get competitive QB play from guys who are not "blue chippers."