Twitter: Since Chargers won, Dallas back on pace for 4th overall

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Remember all of this fussin' over draft position when the Cowboys pick is announced and people lose their minds in disappointment.

Yep. What the Cowboys SHOULD do, and what the Cowboys ACTUALLY do are often-times worlds apart lol. I am prepared for a doozy on draft day and expect the worst. That way if they actually make a competent selection I can be pleasantly surprised. Won't be holding my breath.

Fully expect us to sign Dak to the second highest QB contract in the NFL, pinch pennies in FA because of that-- and then make a dubious selection at #4 or 5 on draft day. It is "The Cowboys Way" under Jerrah lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember all of this fussin' over draft position when the Cowboys pick is announced and people lose their minds in disappointment.
Pro-tank mass amnesia would suggest the answer is no.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Just as importantly, has anyone been watching Herbert play? He's an example of a how & why you can reset your whole team with a young cheap QB. They may be scary good the next few years.
Obviously you’ve got to hit on the right qb, but we’re in such an interesting time in the NFL too. There used to be such a learning curve at the qb position that you really needed to give a player 3 years to develop. Anymore nfl and college offenses have really merged in style. It’s a lot of the same concepts being used. Plus the rules favor the passing game to an extreme in this era. Guys like burrow and Herbert are able to step right in and put up very good numbers.

it seems like every time I turn around their is another great young QB to pay attention to. Herbert, burrow, Murray, Allen, etc. maybe Tua? Even baker mayfield is having a great year as they’ve been able to flood talent around him on a rookie deal.

bust takes for qbs are still pretty high, but good ones seem to be able to produce very quick these days.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
A lot can still change with 3 games remaining, but if they lose out, the 4th overall pick is like a winning lottery ticket. Cincy can either select Sewell or trade the pick to a QB needy team, in which Sewell falls in our laps or they take Sewell and we get the first call for trading back for a team looking for a QB. Sure, it will depend upon whose right behind us, but it's looking like a very favorable position to be in. However, do not want to trade past the top 10.

Correct.....which is why the bengals are not going to trade down...their target is Sewell and they know the Cowboys might snatch him up....or even the Chargers.......and there goes Burrow's bodyguard on his left. Number 4 pick is the prime pick in this draft if you are open to trading down for more picks. But better not be more than 4 to 6 picks down.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Dallas will try and win just like the chargers there is no tanking in the NFL
True! But we can hope for 3 close losses.

Also, it would help if we start playing the young guys.
With this defense the way it right now, as long as the other team doesn’t give the game away( see Bungles fumbles) we should have a pretty good chance of losing AND greatly improve our draft position! Then we can get rid of 3-4 of the terrible starters on this D.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Still a long way to go. At the time, I felt like the fluke win vs. Atlanta could come back to haunt us in the draft and that might end up being the case

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want to get the 5th or 6th pick for several reasons.

1. QB will not be in the equation unless they trade up, and this will not happen. So the pick a QB over Dak is out. Except the die hard dislikers thinking we should trade the farm for a QB. Though they will cram it up us for years anyway.

2. I don't want to hear for years and years they screwed up by not losing and we missed on Sewell, we do not need OL that high. We need DEFENSE. to trade down and get more picks. I do not want to hear for 10 years we should have got him. We get enough of that now about Watt and others.

:laugh:

Have at it. :muttley:

Motorola

Reaction score
If the cowboys win this week they could fall all the way to pick #8 as Atlanta, philly, Carolina, Houston all have 4 wins. Then you would have to look at the tie breakers for the 5 win teams.

They need to lose to keep the 4 spot in the draft.
If the cowboys win this week they could fall all the way to pick #8 as Atlanta, philly, Carolina, Houston all have 4 wins. Then you would have to look at the tie breakers for the 5 win teams.

They need to lose to keep the 4 spot in the draft.
And those other 4-win teams are likely remain at 4 wins:
Carolina @ Green Bay
Houston @ Indianapolis
Tampa @ Atlanta
Philadelphia @ Arizona

Motorola

Reaction score
No
We have to keep losing
There are like 4 teams with same record as us, we right not pick ahead of them based on SOS
I looked at the remaining games of all 4-win teams -- 15 total. All but four of those games involve an opponent currently in a playoff position. The four games that don't....
49ers @ Cowboys
Eagles @ Cowboys
Cowboys @ Giants
Bengals @ Texans
Eagles, Falcons, Panthers - good chance all three lose the rest of the way

817Gill

Reaction score
I think there’s a real possibility we’ll get the same player at 7 or 8 that we would at 4. It’s going to be difficult reaching a consensus on players this year due to players sitting out.
The 4 pick is more for trade down than for player. The goal is to trade down to 7-10 and get the same guy as you would’ve at 4 just with more picks in your arsenal for the rest of the draft.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Obviously you’ve got to hit on the right qb, but we’re in such an interesting time in the NFL too. There used to be such a learning curve at the qb position that you really needed to give a player 3 years to develop. Anymore nfl and college offenses have really merged in style. It’s a lot of the same concepts being used. Plus the rules favor the passing game to an extreme in this era. Guys like burrow and Herbert are able to step right in and put up very good numbers.

it seems like every time I turn around their is another great young QB to pay attention to. Herbert, burrow, Murray, Allen, etc. maybe Tua? Even baker mayfield is having a great year as they’ve been able to flood talent around him on a rookie deal.

bust takes for qbs are still pretty high, but good ones seem to be able to produce very quick these days.

yep, lot of differences between prospects today and 20 years ago. They have been taught how to play modern football rather than previous generations who got to the pro's and were overwhelmed by what they didn't know.

I have caught pieces of some Charger games this year but last night was the most i have watched him play. Thing that stood out the most was how he beat coverage with his throws. Several plays where the defender is there but he just put the ball in the spot that his guy could make a play. Fine line between bravery & stupidity but if he can continue to do that well, the Chargers are in for good times.

superonyx

Reaction score
Just as importantly, has anyone been watching Herbert play? He's an example of a how & why you can reset your whole team with a young cheap QB. They may be scary good the next few years.
Dak Prescott had a better rookie year than Justin Herbert.

I like Herbert. I also liked Tua, Darnold, Haskins ect.

csirl

Reaction score
Chargers arent picking a QB so it doesnt matter if they pick before us.

fivetwos

Reaction score
A lot can still change with 3 games remaining, but if they lose out, the 4th overall pick is like a winning lottery ticket. Cincy can either select Sewell or trade the pick to a QB needy team, in which Sewell falls in our laps or they take Sewell and we get the first call for trading back for a team looking for a QB. Sure, it will depend upon whose right behind us, but it's looking like a very favorable position to be in. However, do not want to trade past the top 10.
Absolutely correct.

Unless Zach Wilson bombs out either him or Fields will be there at 4 if Cin takes Sewell (which they very much will).

I do think Dallas wins two of the last three and ends up 6-8th though.