Since it's quiet-Kipers take on our new signings

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Nothing about us signing Akin Ayodele? I thought he was the best FA we have signed so far. He has size, is young, and is a solid player, he should fit very well inside next to James.

Fabini is a sto-gap player who is over 30 and was injured for much of last season. He is an upgrade over Petitti & Tucker but is not THE answer at RT for the future.

Most should already know my feelings on the Owens signing but in case you don't I believe it was a HUGE mistake.

We still need a kicker and a FS as well as a stud opposite Ware at OLB but I think we will address that spot in the first round of the draft.

Reaction score
Greenway is like Derrick Johnson, a guy that likes to run around blocks. Not a good 3-4 fit.
I think that your observation on Greenway is right on. I have watched the guy for 4 years and he has been a consistant playmaker. I don't think he would be good in a 3-4 though. Every year someone slips in the draft because of their workout numbers and vice versa -- that is why there are steals and busts in the draft.

Reaction score
Way too small IMO to play 3-4 LB...5'11" and 220ish...and probably doesn't have the nads that Dat had to be able to excel at that size.

marchetta

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
I would take Carpenter, Wimbley or Lawson ahead of Greenway. Greenway is like Derrick Johnson, a guy that likes to run around blocks. Not a good 3-4 fit. Sims is way too small to play SOLB. I have no idea why we're talking to him.

Great analysis DLCassidy.

Chad Greenway OLB Iowa

Strengths
Chad has excellent athleticism for his position. He does a good job when defending against the pass and shows good enough speed to cover RB’s coming out of the backfield. Chad is a smart player and knows his responsibilities and plays them well.

Needs to Improve
Watch my lips…Chad is a lousy tackler! He is a “drag down from behind” tackler that does not like straight on contact. He doesn’t wrap up and he drops his head.

Bottom Line
I don’t care how good a linebacker is at all his other responsibilities if he doesn’t like contact and won’t tackle. If he doesn’t do these two things well, then I don’t want him on my team. I am sick and tired of hearing about LB’s that are athletic, have excellent speed and how impactful they are and when I go to watch them and the most fundamental skill that is needed to play their position (like tackling) is lacking. How does this happen? Especially with a team that prides itself on their tackling! Tackling is mental. You have to want to do it. You have to like the contact. If you teach a kid over and over how to tackle and he still refuses to do it, that should send a signal that he doesn’t like contact! Now I ask you, why would you draft a LB that doesn’t want, or like, contact? Why…because he’s a great athlete? Chad will be drafted in the first day no doubt and if you use him as a situational LB, he could make some big impact plays for you; however, if you’re looking for an every down LB, then you would be making a mistake drafting Chad unless he discovers the light and all of a sudden decides he likes contact. I have a rule: If you are a poor tackler in college, then you’ll be a poor tackler in the pros. Head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive -- it’s that simple.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

jbsg02

Reaction score
I really like Sims, hes only at about 231 or so, but you can't deny his ability

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I always have heard good things about him.

Is that not correct?

Greenway was one of those really productive college players that people always say is too small or too slow. He didn't wow anybody at the combine so people are gonna forget he's a good football player. He'll be a big help to somebody, a la Lofa Tatupu.

Manster54

Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
Some drafts having DQwell Jackson as our first LB selection in the second round.

I watch all the Terps games. Dqwell was dominant in his junior year. This past year he made a lot of tackles, but there did not seem to be as many in the backfield for losses. I think he missed having Merriman taking a lot of attention away from him. It enabled him t roam. He will make, in my opinion, an average to good but certainly not great linebacker in the pros.

ghst187

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I don't think so either. Lawson, Carpenter, Wimbley and Hawk all fit much, much better as 34 backers.

I agree. Sims was an outstanding player at FSU, he's just too light and plays like a small, fast LB.
I think the consensus around here is Lawson, and I wholeheartedly agree with that. Carpenter will be a great player too and big-time leader. I'm not as familiar with Wimbley but I am convinced that he's a second rounder and not a value pick in the first.
And no way are we taking the punka** Jimmy Williams.
Seriously doubt we take a DB in the first round.

Reaction score
I'm all for Dallas drafting a guy like Jimmy Williams because he plays both FS and CB, talk about an added bonus!!!!!

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Agreed on Greenway. Way overrated. Good coverage backer. Good leader. If you saw him on NFL Network, you wouldn't have thought him an NFL player. HS players have more definition and strength.

He'd be OK as a 4-3 weakside guy. He'd struggle locking up with TEs on a regular basis.

And yes, I have seen Greenway play...in person and on TV.

Reaction score
Jackson is a stud always comes to play. I seen him at Chapel Hill in November and he stood out the guy is a straight up baller

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
5Stars said:
Does Kiper give any indication of who the RedStinks will draft in the 1st round this coming draft? :lmao:
they will take Marcus Vick...just watch somehow they will get that kid, you heard it here