CFZ Since We Insist on Keeping Bums, Prescott Needs a Better QB Coach

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
How about Aikman?

I understand he's likely to take a role in personnel, or the FO, somehow, but he would also make a good QB coach.

There's several others who have NFL experience. We had a guy here a while back.

I like Kellen. But he's not a quarterbacks coach; he's a play caller.

You realize Troy also just signed for like 100m over 5 years as a broadcaster, right? And Sean Payton signed a fat deal too. He has no reason to ever come back and Coach.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
How about Aikman?

I understand he's likely to take a role in personnel, or the FO, somehow, but he would also make a good QB coach.

There's several others who have NFL experience. We had a guy here a while back.

I like Kellen. But he's not a quarterbacks coach; he's a play caller.

The same Aikman that use to chew out his OL when they were underperforming (loved it), that Aikman? These guys today can’t handle that type of coaching especially our guys. That is the type of coaching I had in high school (the coach was from the Vince Lombardi tree of coaching).

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Since coaches don't count against the cap,
We should have the best

I understand.

I wouldn't be upset if the Cowboys paid Romo $20 million to coach the quarterbacks, specifically Dak.

I know the Cowboys won't do that for that much money though.

I wasn't previously aware just how stuck we are with Dak because I missed the press coverage of his contract details when the Cowboys fell to the bottom of my priority list for a few.

But not for the no trade clause, right now would be the perfect time to trade Dakota. The league is ripe to win on that deal. That's the kind of move you make to acquire 2 1sts these days.

I wonder if Dallas and Dak could ever revisit that no-trade clause.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You realize Troy also just signed for like 100m over 5 years as a broadcaster, right? And Sean Payton signed a fat deal too. He has no reason to ever come back and Coach.

Yes, I'm not saying Aikman would take the deal, or that the Cowboys would offer it to him.

I do see Aikman becoming a FO exec though, very possibly.

I agree with you that Kitna would be a good fit.

I don't need a star.

I can't recall if Kitna has coached Dak. But if he did it would have been earlier on in his career, which is when he was playing better.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Romo didnt even talk to dak lol

Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott reveals Tony Romo was a coach for him

"I feel Tony did a great job, and I commend Tony and thank him so much for that - being another coach for me, helping me out on the game, in the middle of a game, at practice, on the field, off the field, giving me advice.

"He went through exactly what I went through in taking over the position from an older veteran and knowing what it's like to be a quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys."

Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott reveals Tony Romo was a coach for him | NFL News | Sky Sports

Try again, bro?

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Any coach should be able to teach a QB to read defenses. Dak can't anymore. You also can't coach a QB to not be scared.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Is it me?

Or did Dakota P. seem to show the most promise as a player when Romo was in his ear a lot?

Nussmeier has the experience for a job like this. But I think Dakota would just play better if he had a QB coach who had real NFL experience.

I'm certain Romo could do the job better than almost anyone. And as classy as he was, he never seemed to feel threatened by Prescott. He was actually trying to help him win the best he could, even though he wasn't behind center. And Dakota responded well to Romo's advice, I think particularly because he knew Romo was a legit QB trying to help him bring his skill level up NFL speed.

The main thing I see with Dak is, his lack of urgency.

I actually went back to watch Brady's first Super Bowl win last night.

It wasn't pretty.

It was your typical bus driver performance.

In fact, it was pretty awful. Brady is playing better at 44 than he was at 24.. In any case, in that first Super Bowl, you can tell Brady had his head in the game. You can see he wants to win it. And you can see he's focused on trying to give his team the best chance to win.. Not force anything stupid, etc .

Kurt Warner, on the other hand, forced something stupid four separate times, and it cost him twice.

Had he eliminated just one of those, the Rams win.

In any case, I'm fine with the coaching staff from a football standpoint. But they are lacking a bit in other areas like psychology, and anthropology (Belichick is a great anthropologist), and they need a QB coach who brings the best out of Dakota P. and coaches him up enough to take the risks needed to win without throwing the game being stupid ala Kurt Warner.

Using Brady as an extreme metric or comparison for Dakota P at least allows us to see how even the best quarterbacks in the game are really just bus driving bums after all.

So, it's a mindset that our team doesn't have.

You can see the mindset and cohesiveness the Patriots have as a team in that game and that kind of has little to do with the players and very much the coaches.

They surely didn't win that game from what Brady did.

It was more about what Brady didn't do.

So if we're keeping king bum beater, at least bring him a decent QB coach because chances are we'll have to face some elite QBs along the way.

And maybe our defense can bail out Dakota like the defense bailed out Brady in his first Super Bowl win, and prove all the haters wrong.

I think there's a small chance that can happen, even with the average QB play we're currently getting from Dakota, but he has to have the right coaches around him.
Maybe DAKOTA needs to spend some of that $75 MILLION he made last season on a QB coach himself, because I haven't read anything about DAKOTA offering to pay back JJ any of that $75 MILLION just to be a FROG GIGGER running up his numbers against the TOADS in his division. It's time for DAKOTA to man up if he wants to be a real leader on this team and he can do that by PAYING a QB coach himself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Maybe DAKOTA needs to spend some of that $75 MILLION he made last season on a QB coach himself, because I haven't read anything about DAKOTA offering to pay back JJ any of that $75 MILLION just to be a FROG GIGGER running up his numbers against the TOADS in his division. It's time for DAKOTA to man up if he wants to be a real leader on this team and he can do that by PAYING a QB coach himself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meh, I feel your sentiments.

But I choose to be realistic.

Why should he give it back?

It's like whining after picking up a snake that bit you: you knew it was a snake.

If they don't fix the Dakota Complacent Prescott issue in the draft, then he'll be our guy at least the next three years.

So, I have to do the best with what I have. And since they're likely not going to surround him with as much talent as last year, it'd be nice to see them surround him with a coach he thrives under.

You never know unless you try something different.

That's usually what I do when something isn't working: try something different.

Won't hurt, may help.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Is it me?

Or did Dakota P. seem to show the most promise as a player when Romo was in his ear a lot?

It’s you. The success he had his rookie year was due to a great OL and running game led by Zeke when he was at his absolute best. It enabled him to manage games and play within himself.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It’s you.

According to an apparent revisionist.

But according to Dak himself, Tony was like a coach/mentor, and is on record thanking him for it.

I remember at the time, because I've always been a fan of Romo as a player and as a person.

And as a person he handled Dak "winning" the job very well. Tony was injured, and willing to play injured if it helped the Cowboys.

On the other hand, he was also willing to help the guy filling in for him while he was injured to his fullest ability — for the team.

Romo set a great example as a player, and you're forgetting part of what makes him such a class act.

===

"It truly never did," he [Dakota] revealed to Eisen. "That's why I commend him - I don't know how he felt personally, but obviously I knew as much of a competitor as he is, that he wanted to play."

"As much success as he's had in this league, he probably felt that he should play. But it never did [get in the way], and as I said he always was so helpful to me.

====

"I felt it was genuine and I commend him for that."

Read up: Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott reveals Tony Romo was a coach for him | NFL News | Sky Sports

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I keep hearing a handful of couch coaches call Dak a bum... but none of them can ever answer the question as to why Dak is only one of 5 quarterbacks out of thousands who have put up the numbers he has in his first 5 years?? Only 5 quarterbacks out of thousands in a 100 year NFL history and he's one of them. How can a bum do that??

How can a bum have the winning percentage he has?? Why haven't more bums accomplished these small milestones???

There have been other bum qbs over the 100 year NFL seasons correct? So why is he the only bum to join four other solid quarterbacks in NFL history? Oh wait, he's also ranked in the top 10 of the current NFL starters according to a few publications. Why aren't more bums ranked in the top 10??

Please explain this to me...
Because the entire league knows exactly how to defend against him and the good teams could care less if Dak puts up the pretty numbers.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The point of being a bum beater is that you put up terrific numbers - against lower tier teams.

Hence the name, bum.. or bum beater....king of bums.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It’s you. The success he had his rookie year was due to a great OL and running game led by Zeke when he was at his absolute best. It enabled him to manage games and play within himself.
That and the fact that Dak was able then to take advantage of a situation and run when he could.
I doubt that he ever gets that part of his game back, and that was a valuable asset.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
According to an apparent revisionist.

But according to Dak himself, Tony was like a coach/mentor, and is on record thanking him for it.

I remember at the time, because I've always been a fan of Romo as a player and as a person.

And as a person he handled Dak "winning" the job very well. Tony was injured, and willing to play injured if it helped the Cowboys.

On the other hand, he was also willing to help the guy filling in for him while he was injured to his fullest ability — for the team.

Romo set a great example as a player, and you're forgetting part of what makes him such a class act.

===

"It truly never did," he [Dakota] revealed to Eisen. "That's why I commend him - I don't know how he felt personally, but obviously I knew as much of a competitor as he is, that he wanted to play."

"As much success as he's had in this league, he probably felt that he should play. But it never did [get in the way], and as I said he always was so helpful to me.

====

"I felt it was genuine and I commend him for that."

Read up: Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott reveals Tony Romo was a coach for him | NFL News | Sky Sports

That’s just Dak saying all the right things. Whenever they panned the sidelines it was Sanchez sitting and talking with Dak.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That and the fact that Dak was able then to take advantage of a situation and run when he could.
I doubt that he ever gets that part of his game back, and that was a valuable asset.

The blocking upfront helped him find some lanes. As the OL has regressed so has his success running the ball. Obviously the injury he suffered in 2020 will likely keep him from running the ball like he did early in his career.

Reactions: G2

Pass2Run

Reaction score
That’s just Dak saying all the right things. Whenever they panned the sidelines it was Sanchez sitting and talking with Dak.

Clearly, you have a selective memory. It was obvious what was going on out there.

You've heard Romo in the booth.

Just like I remember seeing him coaching up Dak with a clipboard in his hands on the sidelines.

You can make up whatever you want, but that doesn't make it true.