Sing For Absolutism

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
In the last thirty-five years, every single super bowl winner fell into two categories:

Open Air, Cold Weather stadium (single digits in January playoffs)

or

Unbelievably historic, Hall-of-Fame Quarterback play (Greatest show on Turf, Peyton in Indy, Drew in NO).

EXCEPT for one single instance: when Jon Gruden basically knew his opponent’s game plan.

Fast forward to February 2020 and the Dallas Cowboys have just won Super Bowl 54. What is the reason they were able to break this streak? Dak throws 45 tds? Defense best in the world? Zeke runs for 2500? How do you predict it will happen?

Last edited:

GenoT

Reaction score
No serious injuries, Dak takes a big step, Moore hits a home-run and Kris Richard quietly takes over more of the DC job.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Brady, Brees, Goff, and Mahomes suffer season-ending injuries.

Brett Maher kicks a go ahead FG from 55 yards with 13 seconds left after missing an XP earlier, then OBJ drops Mayfield's Hail Mary on the final play.

Cowboys 22
Browns 21

Jerry Jones is carried off the field by his jubilant players...moments before he wakes up and realizes it was all a dream.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the last thirty-five years, every single super bowl winner fell into two categories:

Open Air, Cold Weather stadium (single digits in January playoffs)

or

Unbelievably historic, Hall-of-Fame Quarterback play (Greatest show on Turf, Peyton in Indy, Drew in NO).

EXCEPT for one single instance: when Jon Gruden basically knew his opponent’s game plan.

Fast forward to February 2020 and the Dallas Cowboys have just won Super Bowl 54. What is the reason they were able to break this streak? Dak throws 45 tds? Defense best in the world? Zeke runs for 2500? How do you predict it will happen?

I think what you are saying is that the 2020 Super Bowl (2019 season) is in Miami and that only Hall of Fame type QBs win non cold weather open air stadium Super Bowls.

The exception being the 2002 Buccaneers.

Listing of 2002 Bucs coaching staff:
  • Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line
    • Rod Marinelli
Cowboys 2019:
  • Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line
    • Rod Marinelli

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think what you are saying is that the 2020 Super Bowl (2019 season) is in Miami and that only Hall of Fame type QBs win non cold weather open air stadium Super Bowls.

The exception being the 2002 Buccaneers.

Listing of 2002 Bucs coaching staff:
  • Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line
    • Rod Marinelli
Cowboys 2019:

• Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line
    • Rod Marinelli
I don't think that's what he's saying. I think he's saying that Super Bowl winning teams either play their regular-season games in an open-air cold-weather stadium or have "unbelievably historic" QB seasons. But neither interpretation actually works.

If it's your interpretation, counterexamples include SB LII, which was played indoors and won by Nick Foles, SB 50, which was played in CA and won by the decrepit husk of Peyton Manning, and SB XLVII, played in NO and won by Joe Flacco.

If it's my interpretation, one counterexample is SB XLVIII, which was won by Seattle and Russell Wilson. Wilson's great, but there was nothing "unbelievably historic" about his 2013 season. And calling Seattle "cold weather" is a big stretch.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think that's what he's saying. I think he's saying that Super Bowl winning teams either play their regular-season games in an open-air cold-weather stadium or have "unbelievably historic" QB seasons. But neither interpretation actually works.

If it's your interpretation, counterexamples include SB LII, which was played indoors and won by Nick Foles, SB 50, which was played in CA and won by the decrepit husk of Peyton Manning, and SB XLVII, played in NO and won by Joe Flacco.

If it's my interpretation, one counterexample is SB XLVIII, which was won by Seattle and Russell Wilson. Wilson's great, but there was nothing "unbelievably historic" about his 2013 season. And calling Seattle "cold weather" is a big stretch.
Yes, it not clear what he is asking.

It might be an interesting question with more details on what he is really asking.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

Seattle is a cold weather city during the winter. Temperatures in the 30’s is not uncommon. Not technically single digits in January, but still the same point.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Every time this guy (OP) posts here, I imagine he has a slimy smirk on his face. Am I the only one?
giphy.gif