Twitter: Six players including Kelvin Joseph moved to IR; designated to return

plymkr

Reaction score
That sucks about KJ. I was really hoping he would be a day 1 starter and him and Diggs would hold down the CB spots. Hopefully he heals up and contributes this year.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
That sucks about KJ. I was really hoping he would be a day 1 starter and him and Diggs would hold down the CB spots. Hopefully he heals up and contributes this year.
I hope at least Lewis and Canady are the CBs and not Drown who just stinks.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Had not seen it posted that in addition to three of the reserve players being activated after these six were put on IR:

With these moves, the Cowboys created enough roster space to bring back long snapper Jake McQuaide and officially sign veteran running back Corey Clement, who's expected to replace Rico Dowdle (IR-hip) as the third running back and a core special teams contributor. Punter Bryan Anger is expected to be signed in the next couple days, head coach Mike McCarthy said.

That's from the mothership. Not sure why we're waiting on Anger.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Flush that pick down the drain for this year. I knew it was a hit or miss. Couldn't have just moved up for Baremore like I wanted. Two IR guys in him and Gholston wouldve gotten it done.

Golston isn't on IR. He passed his physical, was taken off PUP and is on the 53.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Golston isn't on IR. He passed his physical, was taken off PUP and is on the 53.
He's going soon. They just took him off pup and put him on 53 so they could IR him so he could come back sooner.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Flush that pick down the drain for this year. I knew it was a hit or miss. Couldn't have just moved up for Baremore like I wanted. Two IR guys in him and Gholston wouldve gotten it done.
I didn’t realize he was killing it this preseason..Lol

gimmesix

Reaction score
He's going soon. They just took him off pup and put him on 53 so they could IR him so he could come back sooner.

No. He passed his physical. You don't put a player who passed his physical on IR. I think the league would frown on that.

dogberry

Reaction score
Over the cap has us with a quarter of a million in cap room.

Delay while more money is rustled up for Anger?

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I feel better if we went and got a veteran CB. I don’t trust Brown at all and haven’t seen enough of Canady. I like Lewis in the slot better than Brown too.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is going to be one of those always banged up, never healthy, next training camp “HES FINALLY HEALTHY LETS SEE WHAT HE CAN DO” years isn’t it for him
Wager. I give you X $ amount if you are correct and you give me 10X $ amount if you're wrong.

erod

Reaction score
He struggled in preseason. He wasn't ready to play anyway. There are four corners better than him right now. Maybe five.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not going to happen. Steele is our fourth tackle. Knight is our fourth guard, but may be considered expendable because of Farniok. Knight is probably a little better at guard than Farniok at this point, but I feel Farniok won the backup job at center, partly because of Williams' struggles snapping the ball.

Farniok might be the most overlooked good story of this training camp.

I noticed him more and more each game and recently went back and reviewed all of his snaps.

I posted a "guarantee" before cuts that he would make the team.

Impressive for a rookie (any rookie) and very impressive for a rookie late round pick.
- His technique/awareness is very good. He just knows how to play the game.
- In modern NFL schemes with heavy zone blocking, angles/timing/technique/awareness are preferred by coaches to sloppy brute strength OLinemen.
- All of those traits are even more important at the OC position.

Posting about Farniok makes me lament the loss of Travis Frederick
- The loss of Frederick was as much about the loss of his coach-on-the-field intelligence as his own ability.
- Some of the local sports talk radio guys would often ask players during interviews "who is the smartest player?"
- The answer was always Frederick without hesitation.
- It think it was Stephen Jones that answer that question with "Travis might be smarter than all of us".
- Zeke in particular in an interview talked at length about the loss of Frederick's intelligence on the field.
- Obviously Frederick also had terrific physical ability with brute strength and decent quickness.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not going to happen. Steele is our fourth tackle. Knight is our fourth guard, but may be considered expendable because of Farniok. Knight is probably a little better at guard than Farniok at this point, but I feel Farniok won the backup job at center, partly because of Williams' struggles snapping the ball.

I’d like to keep all 4 in that group and cut Knight and Steele.

• It's an odd situation at OT.
    • Both starters are returning from season ending injury issues.
    • The veteran swing Tackle has proven to be OK as a Swing Tackle in the past but he is 36 years old.
    • Neither Knight or Steele or clearly ahead of the other.
    • Knight has been more consistent but Steele had a few games last season where he looked better than Knight at Knight's best.
    • Steele also had games where he looked far worse than Knight.
    • Steele has more talent but has an abundance of technique issues.
    • The Cowboys were patient developing Jermey Parnell. It was 2 or 3 years before he was the top option at Swing Tackle; however...
      • Parnell became the best Swing Tackle that they've had in 2 decades.
      • He signed a 32M contract with another team after a few years as the Swing Tackle.
  • Steele is better at RT than Knight.
  • Knight is better at LT than Steele.
  • Steele has better athleticism for LT but played RT in college and struggled with the footwork at LT.
  • Knight at OG
    • I would be interested to see Knight if he was moved to OG full time.
    • He is exactly the type of college OT that usually moves to OG in the NFL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very thin at CB and DT. Not good.
I would say that depth is better than many seasons the past 10 years.

They had seasons with better top 2 at those positions but the depth was never great in the Garrett era.

Joseph/Wright might be the best 4th/5th on the depth cart CBs that they had in a couple of decade.

At DT Quinn wanted run stuffing sluggers. In the modern era run stuffers are never big name players unless they're also elite pass rushers.