News: Sixth-round pick RB Darius Jackson: Cowboys drafted me for a reason

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sixth-round pick RB Darius Jackson: Cowboys drafted me for a reason
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...-pick-rbdarius-jackson-cowboys-drafted-reason

Darius Jackson acknowledges that he was surprised when he got a call from the Cowboys during the sixth round of this year's NFL Draft. Dallas had already used its first-round pick on Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott. Why would they need another prospect at the same position?

"After Zeke got taken I didn't think they were looking too much at running backs," Jackson said. "And then they drafted me. And I was like, 'Let's do it.' I was happy. ... They didn't draft me for no reason. I'm excited to play for the Cowboys and compete for a spot."

If you compiled a running back depth chart heading into training camp, Jackson would probably be fifth behind Elliott, Darren McFadden, Alfred Morris and Lance Dunbar. It's unlikely that the Cowboys will keep five running backs on their 53-man roster. To have a shot, Jackson will also need to impress on special teams.

"Oh, we're stacked," Jackson said. "We're deep at running back. It's fun to compete. ... If you're not down for competition then there's no reason to be here."...

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
really looking forward to seeing him in the preseason. Should get a ton of work. Also want to see him return kicks. Kid has juice

CCBoy

Reaction score
...Ezekiel Elliott The consensus 2016 starting RB has a college resume that sets the rookie up as another all-around back, albeit not proven at the NFL level. Also displaying excellent hands the high school receiver wasn’t asked to run many routes at Ohio State. That should change in Dallas. A power runner who’s tough and decisive between the tackles and excels behind zone blocking, Zeke also has some mean juke to his game giving him the ability to make a guy miss in open space. Toss in enough speed to gain the edge and take it to the house, superior vision and excellent blitz pickup skills and it’s no wonder the young phenom is penciled in as the eventual starter. Just not yet.

Alfred Morris Another power runner who explodes behind zone blocking the north/south rock hound only reason to give pause is he hasn’t been asked to be a factor in the passing game at this juncture of his NFL career. That being said reports though OTA’s are he’s seemingly adept at blitz pickup and is displaying soft hands in patterns. Excellent vision, quick, powerful, professional Morris has all the tools and is currently splitting first team reps with Elliott.

Darius Jackson This kid is fun to consider. Big, fast, elusive, powerful. What’s not to like? RB3’s on the Dallas Cowboys are expected to be big contributors on Special Teams and this kid fits the bill after bringing back kicks in college. Injuries to both Dunbar and McFadden have conspired to get Jackson a ton of reps he wouldn’t normally have seen in OTA’s and this looks to continue in training camp. It’s all about opportunity meeting talent at the right time.

Lance Dunbar Currently injured the matchup maven is a weapon on game day who can’t stay healthy. Will probably start the season on the PUP list.

In truth, the Darren McFadden injury changed nothing for the depth chart in Big D. Garrett was always going to let “the process” play out. McFadden has the coaches trust but is a better man blocking scheme runner and though he played 16 games last year, that’s not his history. Alfred Morris must prove he can handle blitz pickup and passing duties in a game as well as OTA’s. He does that his skill set is better suited to the Cowboys than McFadden. Zeke needs to show he can translate all of those wonderful collegiate skills to the NFL and Darius Jackson has the chance to push either McFadden, Morris or the oft-injured Dunbar off the roster.

At some point during the 2016 season Ezekiel Elliott “should” become the starting RB of the Dallas Cowboys. It hasn’t happened yet and Garret, for obvious reasons isn’t in any hurry to anoint the event. Welcome to “the process.”

http://cowboyszone.com/2016/06/cowboys-rb-shuffle-the-process.html

CCBoy

Reaction score
John Keim, Washington Commanders: As a rookie? I have a hard time with that one. Elliott will be asked to do so much as in his first season because of his third-down skills that it would be wise not to wear him down. As an Ohio State alum, I’m well aware of Elliott’s talent and impact and think he’s a terrific all-around back. But nobody rushed for 1,500 yards last year, and it has happened only 21 times in the previous 10 years combined. It’s tough –- and to do it as a rookie is rare. Only four rookies have surpassed 1,500 yards rushing since 1994 (Edgerrin James, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis and Alfred Morris). The latter, of course, is now Elliott’s teammate. But a big difference between them is that Elliott is much more well-rounded back, so he’ll stay in the game more on third downs. That means Dallas, if it’s smart, will give him more breaks. Having players such as Morris and Darren McFadden means the Cowboys don’t have to just pound Elliott all the time. He’ll be a very good back and I wouldn’t be surprised if he surpasses 1,200 yards. Just don’t wear him out in year one because he will eventually top that 1,500 mark.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...tt-match-demarco-murrays-production-in-dallas

JPostSam

Reaction score
i can see jackson make the 53 instead of a fullback.

dunbar will probably start on the PUP list, and mcfadden will be coming off the broken elbow.

RS12

Reaction score
Sixth-round pick RB Darius Jackson: Cowboys drafted me for a reason

I'll guess it is to push the guy who slipped at the pool off the roster.

fredp22

Reaction score
i still dont understand the pick and after reading the story he seems just as surprised. He may turn out to be a decent back but we just dont need him. I would rather have seen the team take a shot at a cb/kr

speedkilz88

Reaction score
i still dont understand the pick and after reading the story he seems just as surprised. He may turn out to be a decent back but we just dont need him. I would rather have seen the team take a shot at a cb/kr
When a team signs a free agent rb with a full year guaranteed and then drafts a rb with the 4th overall pick and then another one with a 6th round pick, I think it's pretty clear why they did it.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Depth, insurance, probably becomes our #3 with all these broken parts...

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
John Keim, Washington Commanders: As a rookie? I have a hard time with that one. Elliott will be asked to do so much as in his first season because of his third-down skills that it would be wise not to wear him down. As an Ohio State alum, I’m well aware of Elliott’s talent and impact and think he’s a terrific all-around back. But nobody rushed for 1,500 yards last year, and it has happened only 21 times in the previous 10 years combined. It’s tough –- and to do it as a rookie is rare. Only four rookies have surpassed 1,500 yards rushing since 1994 (Edgerrin James, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis and Alfred Morris). The latter, of course, is now Elliott’s teammate. But a big difference between them is that Elliott is much more well-rounded back, so he’ll stay in the game more on third downs. That means Dallas, if it’s smart, will give him more breaks. Having players such as Morris and Darren McFadden means the Cowboys don’t have to just pound Elliott all the time. He’ll be a very good back and I wouldn’t be surprised if he surpasses 1,200 yards. Just don’t wear him out in year one because he will eventually top that 1,500 mark.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...tt-match-demarco-murrays-production-in-dallas

I passed over this article a few weeks ago and didn't read it because of all the previous Zeke articles. I was Zeke articled out, lol. But after reading it I find it to be very well thought out. All the fans predicting him to rush for 1500 in his rookie year might be disappointed. But I kinda agree with the writer here in that the Boys should pace his touches in at least his first year to keep him fresh at the tailend of his first 16+ game season.

We have well enough talent at RB to keep him fresh and continue to bring the ground and pound through the entire season. I think back in 2014 Murray lost steam at the end of the season.

My only question is, do we change in mid game our blocking scheme when McFadden comes in for relief.

fredp22

Reaction score
When a team signs a free agent rb with a full year guaranteed and then drafts a rb with the 4th overall pick and then another one with a 6th round pick, I think it's pretty clear why they did it.

Zeke should get the majority of the carries. Morris and DMC as backups.
Emmitt split carries with noone and if we plan to use Zeke the same way just getting the ball to Morris and DMC will be tough. Then theres Dunbar.
Again Jackson may be a good back but we just dont need him. A cb/kr would have been a better fit

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Zeke should get the majority of the carries. Morris and DMC as backups.
Emmitt split carries with noone and if we plan to use Zeke the same way just getting the ball to Morris and DMC will be tough. Then theres Dunbar.
Again Jackson may be a good back but we just dont need him. A cb/kr would have been a better fit

Again it's pretty clear when they get 3 new guys..... they are not as keen on DMC as fans think.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jackson should be afforded the opportunity to get introduced to NFL action very early in camp. If he impresses with Dunbar being on the PUP list, McFadden fully recovering from his elbow injury and retaining a fullback being an uncertainty, Jackson has a chance to stick around. I think Lance Dunbar might be the most likely one to be replaced, especially if his injury lingers, but we'll see. This kid has enough talent to be taken seriously.