Skeptical about NT Mazi Smith

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Who else feels skeptical Mazi Smith can be fixed? Lots of issues concerning his technique, performance and slow get off.

Do you believe Mazi can be fixed with new D-Coordinator Mike Zimmer, new D-line coach Jeff Zgonina and new D-line assistant. coach Greg Ellis?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I've said many times that I'm still optimistic on Mazi. I think his get off got a lot better as the year went on. He holds up 1v1 pretty well, and actually has a really powerful bullrush in the pass game that gives me some hope he could turn into at least an occasional 3 down player. To me the issue with Mazi isn't as much about technique as it is about how slow he sees everything. I think the slow get off is mostly by design as he's using it as an extra half second to read the Olines blocks. He constantly got beat and at times embarrassed on reach blocks, trap blocks, etc.....anything that wasn't the man in front of him blocking him 1v1 he struggled at. The only way to really fix this issue is to get the kid as many reps as possible, which is tough to do when he's in the training group during OTAs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Who else feels skeptical Mazi Smith can be fixed? Lots of issues concerning his technique, performance and slow get off.

Do you believe Mazi can be fixed with new D-Coordinator Mike Zimmer, new D-line coach Jeff Zgonina and new D-line assistant. coach Greg Ellis?

another failed DL pick in the first round. we just can't pick DL men in first or second rounds. just can't

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Mazi earned the doubt he is getting this year. But he can put it to rest just as easily by performing like a 1st round draft pick.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Coming off a shoulder injury I doubt he is at his normal strength. It also sounds like he has not gained the weight back. So I am not expecting much.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Good morning AC.

Mazi is a bust. All that talk about him by Zimmer etc.. is just PR bla bla.
The guy has serious health concerns and whats more is a bad player.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

A lot of rookie linemen struggle. It's a big jump to the NFL and got bigger for Mazi when we tried to develop his 3-tech traits instead of focusing on his 1-tech ones. Zimmer is supposed to get back to building on his 1-tech traits, so we'll see. I think Quinn went the wrong way with him, so maybe Zimmer will correct that. Don't know if that will mean he develops into much, but we'll see. I think DT is our biggest question mark.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I’m not optimistic at all. Even guys that have horrible rookie seasons usually flash some sort of talent. Mazi looked bad all year.

Maybe I missed something. I hope I’m wrong and he turns it around.

Good thing our DL coach is a guy who hasn’t had much success in his career and has been fired as a DL coach by multiple teams because they had bad defensive lines.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If he's coachable and puts in the work i'm sure he will improve. He may never live up to his draft status or maybe he'll surpass it. He was picked for his size/strength/agility regardless of his clear lack of skill which put him behind the 8ball in the NFL so he has a lot of work to do just to get caught up.

John813

Reaction score
I have little expectations, but still think can't judge a guy off one year. That being said if he looks like *** in TC/PS then we need to ban Michigan from the DL scouts

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Good morning AC.

Mazi is a bust. All that talk about him by Zimmer etc.. is just PR bla bla.
The guy has serious health concerns and whats more is a bad player.
Good afternoon brother. I hear you loud and clear. Mazi looked bad last year, albeit a play or two late in the season. If anyone has a chance to get Mazi improved, it would be Coach Zimmer. We badly need Mazi to show some improvement since we are lacking at DT. I have my doubts right now, but hopefully Mazi shows some improvement in preseason and early in the regular season. I simply find it strange since Mazi was dominant in training camp last year, then he disappeared during the preseason and regular season. Keeping fingers crossed Coach Zim pulls a miracle.