Skeptical about NT Mazi Smith

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
another failed DL pick in the first round. we just can't pick DL men in first or second rounds. just can't
The problem is they don't have a true belief system in player personnel and teambuilding. They have ADHD collectively as a Front Office. Jerry looks for shiny objects and room full of his family members and yes men keep telling him what a great draft he just had.

Everyone wants to label McClay as this sure thing guru but listen to him talk about Mazi last year.

This team also keeps telling you how they have no idea how to assess value. They seriously debated taking Bergeron at 26; he went 38th. They admitted they considered Diggs at 17 in 2021 and he ended up going 51st. They almost went Jalen Tolbert at 56 in 2022; he went 88th. Throw in proven reaches like Taco, Kelvin Joseph, Nahshon Wright, and now Schoonmaker, and it's killing the narrative that they are a superior-drafting team. Many feel Marist Liufau went a round or two too early. These are just the ones we know about. Who knows who else they almost drafted?

Me, an admitted Jones hater and as someone who loves the draft almost as much as the Cowboys (and USC Trojans) can admit they have improved at drafting (the bar was very low, post-Jimmy, Jerry had some real stinkers), but they aren't so amazing at drafting that they should continue to sit out free agency and overcompensate and self-congratulate themselves by giving their own players all of their cap room.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Right now I believe nothing. I won't listen to the nonsense from the coaches or whatever the talking heads think they can take out of a video of one or two plays.

This dude has disappointed basically everyone and right now that's all I know. Whether he surprises us or not remains to be seen.

Boring answer, but the only one I can stand behind right.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
This was all on tape at Michigan. Mazi was the last dude off the ball even back then. He always played high. He didn't get off blocks, and had no counting stats to speak of.

His scouting report basically expected his rookie year would go like this... he was a raw bag of tools who wouldn't be ready out of the gate. DT is a slow developing position, and for a raw DT, you've got to keep expectations low.

The thing is, that should have been factored into his draft stock. If you have a DT who is most likely going to suck for a couple seasons while he develops, you shouldn't be taking him with a 1st round pick. He's got to be a special talent for you to even think about it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Skeptical would be an understatement. Then again I understand there are probably still people holding out hope that Taco Charlton, Trysten Hill and Bobby Carpenter might be the real deal. Hold on tight to your dreams.
Yea , the recent bust on DL with our first pick in recent years has been a big contributor why we haven’t built a better defense and perhaps deeper runs in the playoffs.

Imagine if Taco, Mazi and Trysten all measured up to our investment in draft on DL.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Who else feels skeptical Mazi Smith can be fixed? Lots of issues concerning his technique, performance and slow get off.

Do you believe Mazi can be fixed with new D-Coordinator Mike Zimmer, new D-line coach Jeff Zgonina and new D-line assistant. coach Greg Ellis?

Good question but who knows? One thing for sure is the report that he looks the same weight as last year is concerning. 280 for a 1 gap is not NFL ideal.

CWR

Reaction score
another failed DL pick in the first round. we just can't pick DL men in first or second rounds. just can't
It amazes me how good they are at oline and the opposite on the dline. I remember when the Giants were running the nascar packages thinking man if only we could get their dline scouts. For some reason we struggle on the defensive side.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I didn’t know if I could link someone without getting in trouble. I would’ve started a post, but I don’t have permissions yet. Sorry.

Supposedly not a long term injury. We all know how that works out at times. :/
No problem brother. Understood. Hope your full posting privileges come soon. Let's hope our players fully recover in time for this upcoming season.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
AC, I'm not confident with this one. Love his physical traits, and was excited to see what he could do after getting his feet wet. The results were shockingly bad.

No explosiveness out of his stance is a big, big problem. It showed up on tape at Michigan, and I figured the coaches could correct it. They did not, and we saw a really powerful guy being manhandled at the snap more often than not.

If Zimmer and the DL coaches can correct it, he could be pretty good. It's just one of those things that you see, and worry that there's something in his head holding him back. Between that and the weight loss, I'm thinking this one is a miss. Hopefully it doesn't deter the front office from looking at the defensive trenches early in the draft in the future.

exciter

Reaction score
Who else feels skeptical Mazi Smith can be fixed? Lots of issues concerning his technique, performance and slow get off.

Do you believe Mazi can be fixed with new D-Coordinator Mike Zimmer, new D-line coach Jeff Zgonina and new D-line assistant. coach Greg Ellis?

If you read the scouting reports on him most were consistent in stating his issues arose when trying to play 2 gap. He came to Dallas and Quinn tried to force him into being a 2 gap DT many of his snaps out of position as 3tech. Not sure if this was all Quinn, or if being pushed by Jerry thinking he needed to justify taking a 1tech by having that player also be versatile enough to play 3tech. Regardless, Zimmer almost exclusively plays his 1tech as a 1 gap. He’s had success making scrub players at less serviceable and even receive 2nd contracts. I think they’ll let him play to his strengths and not force skills that don’t match his skillset. He’s never going to be a star but I think he’ll at minimum be serviceable through the remainder of his rookie contract!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
AC, I'm not confident with this one. Love his physical traits, and was excited to see what he could do after getting his feet wet. The results were shockingly bad.

No explosiveness out of his stance is a big, big problem. It showed up on tape at Michigan, and I figured the coaches could correct it. They did not, and we saw a really powerful guy being manhandled at the snap more often than not.

If Zimmer and the DL coaches can correct it, he could be pretty good. It's just one of those things that you see, and worry that there's something in his head holding him back. Between that and the weight loss, I'm thinking this one is a miss. Hopefully it doesn't deter the front office from looking at the defensive trenches early in the draft in the future.
Totally agree with you, WC! We need help next year at the DT position, especially if Mazi busts out. Plus, this is Osa's last year of his rookie contract (2021 - 2024). If he leaves for more money via free agency at the end of this season, we're seriously going to be in dire straights.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I really think the front office had a sound approach to the DT position this offseason.

LOL.

Idiots.
Old veteran DT Calais Campbell is still a free agent. For being a 37 year old DT who will be turning 38 on September 1st, he played pretty good last year for the Falcons: 36 solo tackles, 11 assists, 7 sacks and 1 forced fumble. He even graded out an 80.0 on PFF. That's very good at his age. I don't understand why the Cowboys haven't brought him in for a talk and looksey. With his size, experience and production, he could seriously help our interior D-line this year.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/calais-campbell/4364

Reaction score
Old veteran DT Calais Campbell is still a free agent. For being a 37 year old DT who will be turning 38 on September 1st, he played pretty good last year for the Falcons: 36 solo tackles, 11 assists, 7 sacks and 1 forced fumble. He even graded out an 80.0 on PFF. That's very good at his age. I don't understand why the Cowboys haven't brought him in for a talk and looksey. With his size, experience and production, he could seriously help our interior D-line this year.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/calais-campbell/4364
Yes! I’d like to see him picked up. I think we need CC. Especially if Osa’s injury persist or Mazi continues growing pains. Everyone keeps pointing to several glaring weak spots on our roster. How a lot do not see this is a must acquire position. ‍Idk

pitt33

Reaction score
I’m not optimistic at all. Even guys that have horrible rookie seasons usually flash some sort of talent. Mazi looked bad all year.

Maybe I missed something. I hope I’m wrong and he turns it around.

Good thing our DL coach is a guy who hasn’t had much success in his career and has been fired as a DL coach by multiple teams because they had bad defensive lines.
Your not wrong.

He’s a colossal bust.

Trysten Hill bad.