Skip Bayless Thinks Irvin Is The GOAT Wide Reciever

Reaction score
I was just tuning into ESPN First Take right now and Skip Bayless thinks Michael Irvin is the greatest wideout of alltime, better than Jerry Rice. What are your thoughts on this? Me personally I think Bayless is nuts, I love Irvin as much as the next guy but there is no way he was a better wideout than Jerry Rice IMO.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Fan;3786371 said:
I was just tuning into ESPN First Take right now and Skip Bayless thinks Michael Irvin is the greatest wideout of alltime, better than Jerry Rice. What are your thoughts on this? Me personally I think Bayless is nuts, I love Irvin as much as the next guy but there is no way he was a better wideout than Jerry Rice IMO.

If he said that it will be the first time I have to agree with him

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Fan;3786371 said:

I dont know about greatest of alltime, but I do think that when Irvin was in his prime from 91-96 he was the best WR in the league, and not Rice.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It is not that ridicilous if you look at their per game numbers. That said, Jerry performed at that level for so long it makes him the greatest in my opinion.

couchscout

Reaction score
I'm probably the biggest Irvin fan there is. He's unquestionably my favorite football player of all time. I patterned my game after him, I get compared to him on the football field often. But no, he's not the greatest of all time.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Jerry was certainly the most talented and productive over a career and have no problem with him being considered #1 but Michael did have a lot of intangibles that Jerry didn't.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
You're starting a team from scratch. Given the benefit of hindsight who do you take as your WR?

I may be a homer but I would pick Irvin.

The Panch

Reaction score
As great was Rice, he was one of the luckiest players in NFL history. He played with two of the greatest QBs in a system that was built for him to succeed.

Even tho I'd take him with the game on the line over Young, Aikman was not on their level. And more importantly, the Offense ran the ball alot. Particularly, in the red zone, where Irvin's numbers pale to Rice and other Great receivers. If he played in an offense like the 49ers back then, or the Colts today (regardless of the rules). He'd be putting up 10+ TD seasons routinely.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
The Panch;3786456 said:
As great was Rice, he was one of the luckiest players in NFL history. He played with two of the greatest QBs in a system that was built for him to succeed.

Even tho I'd take him with the game on the line over Young, Aikman was not on their level. And more importantly, the Offense was ran the ball alot. In particular in the red zone, where Irvin's numbers pale to Rice and other Great receivers. If he played in an offense like the 49ers back then, or the Colts today (regardless of the rules). He'd be putting up 10+ TD seasons routinely.

Aikman was far more talented than either of them. If he had played in a pass heavy offense, he might of shattered alot of records.

The Panch

Reaction score
dbair1967;3786465 said:
Aikman was far more talented than either of them. If he had played in a pass heavy offense, he might of shattered alot of records.

It's a matter of opinion, I dont believe he was, specifically Joe.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
ilovejerry;3786377 said:

I know he gets a bad rap around here but I don't get it. He loves the Cowboys, loves Tony, loves Dez, etc. He always talks very highly of the team.

Diehardcowboy

Reaction score
Irvin was a great wide out and leader but when the league outlawed the receiver induced contact they took away his game. In his last year or two it seemed he was targeted for offensive pass interference or illegal contact quite often. I have often wondered how he would fared if the rule was enforced in the beginning of his career as at the end. Weird how Cowboy's success led to three rules (Irvin - contact, Williams - hands to the face, smith - helmet)

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
ilovejerry;3786377 said:

I almost said BINGO, but Im gonna put a disclaimer. He may not be the all time goat, but his play from 91 to 95 Ive never seen a wideout that was better. Not to mention, Playmaker changed what cornerbacks looked like in the nfc east. You had to have a bobby taylor or anius williams to even have a chance to line up with michael at cb....

The tell tell sign though is...ask Prime Time who he would rather cover on an island, Irvin or Rice, and "uncle Bens" will not be the answer.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
dbair1967;3786392 said:
I dont know about greatest of alltime, but I do think that when Irvin was in his prime from 91-96 he was the best WR in the league, and not Rice.

Wow how similar were our answers.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
I have ALWAYS thought Irvin was better then Rice, clearly classifying him as the greatest WR the game has ever known.

Unlike Rice who was the focal point of all his offenses, Irvin was secondary to the running of Emmitt. And as so, changed the position. One could only imagine what Irvin could have done in Rice's roll.

And also lets not forget how much padding of the numbers occurred for Rice by being in the west coast style offense. In fact, we see a lot of this currently in GB with their WRs, but few would consider any of them up there some of the elite in the game at the moment. Rice totally benefited from this and from being on a high profile team that was consistently winning and playing for championships.

IMHO, Michael Irvin, THE GREATEST WR to EVER play the game!

But then there are 2 other sides to consider...

a) How much of Irvin's dominance was actually from the drugs? Cocaine is quite the motivator.

or the flip side;

b) How much did Irvin possibly lose due to the drugs presence in his life? Could he have possibly even been better?