Twitter: Slater: McCarthy hasn’t spoken to Dak yet

ShiningStar

Reaction score
This is why i wanted the next HC to be hired fast so he has time.

Great move Mike. Take your time, talk to your staff. decide what you want to do but you have to make the choice you feel is the best.

There are some players i like, but who cares. if Mike is taking charge, im all for it. let him take his time to plot what he wants.

IM LOVING THIS

Maverick84

Reaction score
if McCarthy had called Dak, this thread would be "ohhh myyy godddd, he hasn't even evaluated Dak in person yet and he's already calling him!! this is Jerry's fault! and Garrett's fault! and O'Quinn's fault! and Rowdy's fault! and Jessica Simpson's pink Romo jersey's fault!! I CANT STAND THIS FRANCHISE"

man get the **** outta here

ShiningStar

Reaction score
if McCarthy had called Dak, this thread would be "ohhh myyy godddd, he hasn't even evaluated Dak in person yet and he's already calling him!! this is Jerry's fault! and Garrett's fault! and O'Quinn's fault! and Rowdy's fault! and Jessica Simpson's pink Romo jersey's fault!! I CANT STAND THIS FRANCHISE"

man get the **** outta here

yea really

but im loving what Mike is doing, hes putting his stamp on this team and it feels great. he took a flame thrower to this staff. wow. even kitna is gone. thats ok, no taint from last year.

im glad he has time, hes doing good things with all the bad thats been here.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Jerry at it again. Tell McCarthy when and where to meet with Dak under his terms. That meddling owner is something else......

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
McCarthy should, at least, be allowed to tend to his business in a workmanlike manner without being badgered to act before he's prepared to. I'd say he's got all he can handle right now to assemble his staff and formulate plans to move forward. There a reason why he stated his responsibilities are abundant. I just hope the Dallas FO respects that fact. Formulating a workable plan in a new environment isn't small potatoes.

Let's allow him the courtesy to tend to his business as he sees fit. He's been around long enough to know how to handle his responsibilities without any pressure from the likes of us, nor the media. The worst thing anyone could do right now is to put undo pressure on him to do more than he's prepared to. Let the man breathe freely and to work at his own pace. It's the best and only way for effective decisions to be made.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry at it again. Tell McCarthy when and where to meet with Dak under his terms. That meddling owner is something else......

Jane Slater was who posed the question whether MM had contacted Dak yet or not. There was no mention of Jerry nor Stephen.

Last edited:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
If you think Dak is gone, you don’t know the Jones boys very well.

I do think there is a subtle message from MM here to Dak. “You are not bigger than the franchise.”

And I like it. He will build with Dak just fine when they meet— but Dak is going to need to know his place in the pecking order— and that is behind owner and head coach

FanSince71

Reaction score
I think this is a non-story. McCarthy has plenty on his plate with all the activities and decisions you guys have highlighted.

That said, I think it would’ve been nice of Dak to show up at the introductory press conference and/or called his new coach himself. He’s the QB and supposedly the leader of the team. Coach is the new guy. Welcome HIM, captain.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

I do think there is a subtle message from MM here to Dak. “You are not bigger than the franchise.”

And I like it. He will build with Dak just fine when they meet— but Dak is going to need to know his place in the pecking order— and that is behind owner and head coach

That'd be a bit brash for a guy with a whole 4 or 5 days of employment. Even if that were his stated position, I'd be more inclined to believe he's just defaulting to the side of the guy writing his paychecks at this point. Given Jerry's reputation, it would have to have been a hell of a week to develop that kind of loyalty in such a short span of time. That's brainwashing skill that would have likely made Jim Jones jealous.

Personally, I don't think he's taking any side and I think he's smart for not doing so because contract negotiations aren't his responsibility. Realistically, he has nothing to gain from trying to interject his support for either side.

I'm inclined to think that McCarthy knows building a buddy-buddy relationship with Dak before the contract situation is resolved immediately puts him in the crossfire of contract discussions.
  • Dak's agent can lean on McCarthy's support to stand firm on his asking price, and should Dak struggle;
  • Jerry can point the finger at McCarthy for convincing him to go above what he believed he should pay
Alternatively,
  • Jerry can lean on McCarthy's reputation to angle for a lower price, and should Dak perform;
  • Dak's agent can point the finger at McCarthy for Dak being, "underpaid".
Both outcomes suck. With an expected contract of this magnitude, why would anyone who called another city, "home", just a week ago dare to get involved?

McCarthy will work at his own pace and remain neutral until the contract situation is resolved just because he'd be a moron not to. Once the contract is resolved, everyone will be the bestest of pals.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
That'd be a bit brash for a guy with a whole 4 or 5 days of employment. Even if that were his stated position, I'd be more inclined to believe he's just defaulting to the side of the guy writing his paychecks at this point. Given Jerry's reputation, it would have to have been a hell of a week to develop that kind of loyalty in such a short span of time. That's brainwashing skill that would have likely made Jim Jones jealous.

Personally, I don't think he's taking any side and I think he's smart for not doing so because contract negotiations aren't his responsibility. Realistically, he has nothing to gain from trying to interject his support for either side.

I'm inclined to think that McCarthy knows building a buddy-buddy relationship with Dak before the contract situation is resolved immediately puts him in the crossfire of contract discussions.
  • Dak's agent can lean on McCarthy's support to stand firm on his asking price, and should Dak struggle;
  • Jerry can point the finger at McCarthy for convincing him to go above what he believed he should pay
Alternatively,
  • Jerry can lean on McCarthy's reputation to angle for a lower price, and should Dak perform;
  • Dak's agent can point the finger at McCarthy for Dak being, "underpaid".
Both outcomes suck. With an expected contract of this magnitude, why would anyone who called another city, "home", just a week ago dare to get involved?

McCarthy will work at his own pace and remain neutral until the contract situation is resolved just because he'd be a moron not to. Once the contract is resolved, everyone will be the bestest of pals.

100% he would be crazy for getting into the contract conversation — and he is correct for avoiding it.

That said— JJ and SJ have made it abundantly clear that Dak is their guy and they are going to pay him— so to not even reach out to say hello and connect is a bit odd. It’s not like talking to your starting QB immediately puts you in the middle of the contract talk.

No— I think he is sending a subtle message— and you have to remember, he just got ousted by a franchise QB in AR who is bigger than the team. I think MM is coming in slow, and he is coming in tight to let everyone know he is running the team on his terms. He can always loosen up as he goes— but really hard to tighten things up if you come in too loose.

cowboyed

Reaction score
It's a leap but it's still weird. A phone call takes 5 minutes.

Talk about micro-following the Cowboys. McCarthy has already publically heaped big praise on Prescott. His priority is getting his coaching staff together. He and his family are also finding a place to live in Dallas. I like the fact that he isn't going out of his way to meet or touch base with any player at this short juncture. When was the presser, just a few days ago, right?

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score

Dak already got his word in, keeping Kellen Moore.
It’s Jerry > Dak > Kellen Moore > McCarthy