Slater on coaching search

BigD_95

Reaction score
Even if they did get a new HC, our players are straight up atrocious. What are we gonna do about that, eh? We need to rebuild. Everyone on that defense was terrible last night. Offense was a hot mess and can only play in garbage time. We need a new team in general. Maybe keep the receivers but besides that I want this team rebuilt. How long will a rebuild take...?

I dont think thats true - I think they just quit on the coach. Obviously we need major help at DT and safety but most of those guys are solid players knowing their coach is a dead man walking

phildadon86

Reaction score
What do you mean I don't know what quitting looks like when I called it weeks before you did? You openly said I was right about this team quitting weeks ago last night. I know they're quitting. I guess I'm just mad because we gave up on a promising season, but whatever. "There's always next year!".
They didnt quit weeks ago. So you dont know what it looks like. I said you were right about it yes but I havent actually seen them quit until last week is what I am saying. They fought hard in the Pats game but we were out coached.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
They didnt quit weeks ago. So you dont know what it looks like. I said you were right about it yes but I havent actually seen them quit until last week is what I am saying. They fought hard in the Pats game but we were out coached.

Okay whatever. Like the Cowboys, I don't really care at this point.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Urban Meyer’s dominance in the college game has largely been predicated on two things:

First, his ability to recruit. He signed top 5-10 classes every year at OSU and UF, and signed two of the best classes ever at UTAH when they were still a mid major.

Second, his unique variation of the run-based spread offense which combines a lot of zone read, veer, power and speed option concepts.

You can’t out recruit the opposition in the NFL, and his offense has never been effectively translated to the NFL. It is NOT what the Ravens are running.

Now the good news Meyer’s offense is what Dan Mullen (his former OC) ran at MSU when Dak was there. Dak is a perfect QB for that offense. I just don’t know if it can work at this level consistently.

I think Urban's success would have a lot to do with his coordinators but I do think a lot of what Urban brings will translate over to the Pro's. He'll leave no stone unturned.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Okay whatever. Like the Cowboys, I don't really care at this point.
Trust me I feel ya on that one. I turned off the game and played madden and drank scotch. I have to say. Its nice seeing someone not Jason Garrett on the sideline. Even if its a video game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If Slater knows they talked to Meyer, does anyone think that the people INSIDE the building know about it? And if they know what's going on, it might help to explain exactly why this entire thing has gone off the rails at all levels.

If they're even talking to Urban Meyer, there's no way they could keep Garrett around, and no reason why anyone with a shred of self respect could stay. And since that's the case, just pull off the bandaid and be done with it. Fire him now.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Is Jerry really that cheap?

Carolina fired Ron Rivera because they knew they were going to look for a new coach and didn’t want to do it behind his back. Jerry, if you’re going to start talking to prospects, if you’ve already made your decision, just put a bullet in the guy and put him out of his misery. And put us fans out of our misery too. Don’t keep the guy on staff just because you have to pay his salary anyway.

Or does Jerry think that Garrett actually helps his chance to get a better draft pick in 2020?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
College is the way to go right now if you want an experienced HC. Payton is untouchable, and there arent attractive head coaches from the pro's available.

Ron Rivera is not an attractive candidate. Thats like going to a swingers party with your cousin
i'll take your word on that one. :)

Zordon

Reaction score
Slater has become such a tmz journalist this year. She was just gaslighting the fanbase on her podcast yesterday about Jason possibly returning.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Did Slater just pull Elliott out of thin air? That is a strange one with zero connections to anybody.

Sydla

Reaction score
Urban Meyer’s dominance in the college game has largely been predicated on two things:

First, his ability to recruit. He signed top 5-10 classes every year at OSU and UF, and signed two of the best classes ever at UTAH when they were still a mid major.

Second, his unique variation of the run-based spread offense which combines a lot of zone read, veer, power and speed option concepts.

You can’t out recruit the opposition in the NFL, and his offense has never been effectively translated to the NFL. It is NOT what the Ravens are running.

Now the good news Meyer’s offense is what Dan Mullen (his former OC) ran at MSU when Dak was there. Dak is a perfect QB for that offense. I just don’t know if it can work at this level consistently.

In fairness, every "great" college coach has largely outrecruited other teams. Dabo Swinney has recruited elite classes at Clemson. Saban has done it at Bama. Fisher did it at FSU when they were flying high. Go back through the years and the teams that win the NCs and do the best in college football also tend to be the ones that recruit the best.

Sydla

Reaction score
Slater has become such a tmz journalist this year. She was just gaslighting the fanbase on her podcast yesterday about Jason possibly returning.

That was definitely weird.

I mean one day she's saying Garrett is likely back based on Jerry's reactions and other tidbits and then the next she's saying Dallas has contacted Meyer.

I get why people follow her (chuckle), but she's not one of the reporters I put a ton of stock into when it comes to inside info.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Urban's success would have a lot to do with his coordinators but I do think a lot of what Urban brings will translate over to the Pro's. He'll leave no stone unturned.

And he's connected to the coaching ranks through years of being a head coach. He has the connections to be able to put together a solid, capable staff. That's one of the biggest selling points on him for me, and something I'm not sure others could accomplish.

Carson

Reaction score
That was definitely weird.

I mean one day she's saying Garrett is likely back based on Jerry's reactions and other tidbits and then the next she's saying Dallas has contacted Meyer.

I get why people follow her (chuckle), but she's not one of the reporters I put a ton of stock into when it comes to inside info.

She was pretty spot on with the Earl Thomas sweepstakes

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Jerry really that cheap?

Carolina fired Ron Rivera because they knew they were going to look for a new coach and didn’t want to do it behind his back. Jerry, if you’re going to start talking to prospects, if you’ve already made your decision, just put a bullet in the guy and put him out of his misery. And put us fans out of our misery too. Don’t keep the guy on staff just because you have to pay his salary anyway.

Or does Jerry think that Garrett actually helps his chance to get a better draft pick in 2020?

:hammer:

Exactly right!

This thing under Garrett was already a mess, but Jones threw gasoline on that fire, and that's why we're now a dysfunctional mess on the field. The dysfunction has now permeated every level.

I can't help but to wonder I feel the issues between owner and coach have played out publicly before our eyes. Like the 'reports' about Garrett being a top candidate for the Giants job?

Anyone else notice things getting much worse after that news broke?

I certainly did.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah, I listened too. She's done a total 180 on that. Maybe based on the source that told here they actually spoke with Meyer?