Twitter: Slater shoots her shot for pick 17

Reaction score
Understand. I can't predict how Ruiz will do at this level and again at 17 no I would not do it but I also can't write off any deal out of hand without knowing all the details involved. Is it a team drafting outside of 17 and are we swapping 1st rd pick with an additional pick? is it is team who has made a selection tying to get another pick in the 1st? without knowing all the details I can't say yes or no to a hypothetical deal. I can say Ruiz at 17? no but later in the 1st rd along with another pick I could see that depending on the compensation

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I'm done with olineman in round one for the time being, way too much draft/cap$$ tied into one group.....much rather draft a dlineman in round one. Gimme Kinlaw, Chiasson or trade down for Diggs.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Chaisson is a more raw version of Ware. LOTS to work with, but at 17? Seems rich.

Rayman70

Reaction score

Which means we wont be in the market early for Ruiz or any other olineman. THATS GOOD. Our focus has to be the interior of the dline.We have to be able to stop the run. We cannot keep our llinebackers clean without a better dline.Corner and safety is also top priority.

Rayman70

Reaction score
MM already said over and over what he will be doing. Have we been listening? HE WILL DRAFT BPA ON HIS DRAFT BOARD. Unless its a QB or RB. Everything else is a possibility. My hunch is, he means what he says. He doesn't even know who it is yet. They have probably 5 different scenarios and players they have targeted at 17. I bet you, like other teams, they have done 100 mocks and keep seeing like 2 scenarios playing out consistently. I think its CJ HENDERSON OR CHAISSON OR KINLAW. Our pick will be one of those guys. One other scenario..less likely..is a generational wr like Lamb or Jeudy falls to them. Then they will need to either trade down or make that pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AJ Terrell?

Ewwww.

And I am simply not happy with this franchise once again using a first round or second round pick on an OL. How come teams find good OL throughout the draft but we seemingly think the recipe to good OL play is just use all premium picks on them?

I will not be happy if we take Ruiz, even in a trade back.

Agreed.

Teams shouldn't need a 1st or 2nd round pick at every position to field a capable offensive line.

McCarthy and Philbin sure didn't when they were in Green Bay.

Good coaching makes up for lesser talent at certain positions. We didn't have that, so we couldn't.

Now we do and now we can.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've always thought investing in the OL high was a good strategy. But we've not been able to cash in on the potential of our first-round offensive line like the Hogs and the Giants and the Cowboys of old did - i.e., Super Bowl championships. So, I'm good with a different approach.

Right. The return has never been worth the investment.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its really about the best you can do 4 days before the draft. We might get a more narrow look the day before or morning, but at least its a little bit insight.

What did she about Chaisson prior? Scanned her tweets and couldnt find anything

Very little. She's jumped on board the train two weeks after the fact.

She doesn't have 'sources'. Remember when the stuff was going on with Garrett staying/going and possible replacements? She stood outside reporting a bunch of nothing, again and again and again.

And then Jay Glazer came out and said 'Mike McCarthy' and that was that.

She makes friends, not sources. And she takes up for a failed coaching staff that were all fired because she liked them. She has no insider information.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Chaisson is available he is the pick. Think it’s 50/50 he is available. I know most on the board don’t think he will be there but to me it comes down to what Atlanta does. If you want Chaisson better hope the 3wrs, 3qbs, 4ots, 3dls, 2cbs and Simmons go. That’s 16, think that’s pretty realistic. The hope is Atlanta trades up for one of the corners. It would also help if San Francisco trades 13 to a team that wants Jordan Love. Think the the unknown is the QBs, it was a forgone conclusion a couple of weeks ago that Tua and Herbert would be gone by 6, now it’s a little shaky.

I just saw a weird change on the mock draft simulators for some reason. And it now has Chaisson repeatedly going to the Cardinals at #8 overall.

Maybe it's reflective of the talk of the Falcons moving way up for a player they covet? Prior to this, they were the team that was always drafting Chaisson one pick ahead of us.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes coaches will talk of what they have not what they may have in the future. As of right now I would say it will be a battle between Loony and McGovern

And I feel that the smaller the offseason gets, the higher the odds that it will be the veteran Looney.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And I feel that the smaller the offseason gets, the higher the odds that it will be the veteran Looney.

Given he has experience I think he has a leg up, then again we have not seen enough of McGovern to know.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given he has experience I think he has a leg up, then again we have not seen enough of McGovern to know.

Exactly. McGovern's rookie season was a washout and so far, year two hasn't been any better for him. He's still a relatively unknown commodity at the NFL level. And the longer it goes that he can't work with these new coaches, the higher the likelihood that Looney will get the nod.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

They may not, right now media talk is just that talk. I have only said I would not be opposed trading back and getting an extra pick along with Ruiz. I would not take him at 17 and will not be upset if they do not take him at all. What I do think is all option should be on the table be it a trade up for a trade down for another player or even staying put at 17. Unlike some I do not believe in shutting my options down before I know the details of any deal.

kumizi

Reaction score
Pretty much all the rumors agree the Cowboys want Henderson or Chiasson.

If both are gone and they are getting lowballed in trade back offers, that'll be kind of the nightmare scenario.

Broaddus also guessed Terrell as the guy if they are stuck at 17 and have to reach.