Twitter: Slater shoots her shot for pick 17

Sydla

Reaction score
How many games did Frederick play in his rookie season? lol Claiming we're not handing the starting C job to a rookie? How can you say that when Dallas did with Fredrick? I don't know if Dallas will get Ruiz or not but Dallas has proven they will start a rookie

Well in fairness, when Frederick was taken we didn't have a lot of options at C. We had Phil Costa and he wasn't even all that competent.

We have Looney that showed he can play competent C, enough to make this a playoff team in 2018 and then a possible C in McGovern.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I’m not thinking Chaisson, I’m thinking aj Terrell or Justin Jefferson unless you’re a Murray fan. I vote one of those 3 picks. I like Murray

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
It almost feels like Terrell is an inevitability.........
200.webp

Landryhat73

Reaction score
If Chaisson is available he is the pick. Think it’s 50/50 he is available. I know most on the board don’t think he will be there but to me it comes down to what Atlanta does. If you want Chaisson better hope the 3wrs, 3qbs, 4ots, 3dls, 2cbs and Simmons go. That’s 16, think that’s pretty realistic. The hope is Atlanta trades up for one of the corners. It would also help if San Francisco trades 13 to a team that wants Jordan Love. Think the the unknown is the QBs, it was a forgone conclusion a couple of weeks ago that Tua and Herbert would be gone by 6, now it’s a little shaky.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well in fairness, when Frederick was taken we didn't have a lot of options at C. We had Phil Costa and he wasn't even all that competent.

We have Looney that showed he can play competent C, enough to make this a playoff team in 2018 and then a possible C in McGovern.

In fairness Ruiz is a very good ball player and this teams quality players. Ruiz may not be the 1st guy I would take but I would not be upset depending on the deal if we traded out to get him and also the extra pick in the process. After all if Dallas is trading out of 17 would be getting compensated with an extra pick, with whom and where. Without knowing all details I can't say I am against any move.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One, Ruiz is not Travis Frederick. Two, Frederick did not have guys like Joe Looney and Connor McGovern in front of him. Those two are currently better than Ruiz IMO.

No he is not but you start off by saying Dallas would not play a rookie, hell we had had several players come in as rookies and play so that is a false statement. As far as Ruiz, I think the guy is a quality player and would not be a bad pick especially is you are getting an extra pick in the process. I have said from the get go I am no opposed to moving up, moving back or staying at 17 without knowing all the details. I don't turn down deals until I know what the deal is

morasp

Reaction score
If we got Ruiz in a trade down I would probably be stoked depending on the details of the trade and who is actually there at 17.

There are too many variables at play to speak definitively about it now.
I can't tell if you're being serious. Would you really like the move? From what I can tell he looks like the best IOL in the draft OG or C.

Reaction score
No he is not but you start off by saying Dallas would not play a rookie, hell we had had several players come in as rookies and play so that is a false statement. As far as Ruiz, I think the guy is a quality player and would not be a bad pick especially is you are getting an extra pick in the process. I have said from the get go I am no opposed to moving up, moving back or staying at 17 without knowing all the details. I don't turn down deals until I know what the deal is

I never said we would not start a rookie. I said we would not start a rookie at C. Not with Looney and McGovern. My whole point is that, with our first round pick, I want a rookie who can start... Reading is fundamental, my man.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I never said we would not start a rookie. I said we would not start a rookie at C. Not with Looney and McGovern. My whole point is that, with our first round pick, I want a rookie who can start... Reading is fundamental, my man.

Looney did well McGovern while I have hope has not played a down in reg season. As for your reading is fundamental comment (which is uncalled for)

“In the first round, I want a starter, or at least a player that’s going to play 50-60% of the snaps. We’re not handing starting C job to a rookie. He wouldn’t get off the bench in year one.

I can read just fine you made the comment. If Dallas were to draft Ruiz you know how many snaps he would take? if he would win the starting job? You hope Dallas does not draft him? Fine I get that, but the rest of your claims are not based on any sort of fact just an opinion. I pointed out a fact, Dallas has started rookie at Center as well as the entire OL. If Dallas were to draft Ruiz and he shows greater ability that Looney or McGovern then why would he not start?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
How many games did Frederick play in his rookie season? lol Claiming we're not handing the starting C job to a rookie? How can you say that when Dallas did with Fredrick? I don't know if Dallas will get Ruiz or not but Dallas has proven they will start a rookie
Well since looney can handle starting at C, I don't see the need to take a high C like when we had the need for redbeard.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well since looney can handle starting at C, I don't see the need to take a high C like when we had the need for redbeard.

As I have said he would not be my selection at 17, however without knowing any details of this hypothetical trade I can't say yes or no. Looney did well but also at time struggled, overall though passing grade.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't tell if you're being serious. Would you really like the move? From what I can tell he looks like the best IOL in the draft OG or C.

I drafted him in the mock you just participated in.

morasp

Reaction score
I drafted him in the mock you just participated in.
I wouldn't be surprised if he goes right around that area Thursday. Are you going to do a Cowboys mock draft this year?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looney did well McGovern while I have hope has not played a down in reg season. As for your reading is fundamental comment (which is uncalled for)

“In the first round, I want a starter, or at least a player that’s going to play 50-60% of the snaps. We’re not handing starting C job to a rookie. He wouldn’t get off the bench in year one.

I can read just fine you made the comment. If Dallas were to draft Ruiz you know how many snaps he would take? if he would win the starting job? You hope Dallas does not draft him? Fine I get that, but the rest of your claims are not based on any sort of fact just an opinion. I pointed out a fact, Dallas has started rookie at Center as well as the entire OL. If Dallas were to draft Ruiz and he shows greater ability that Looney or McGovern then why would he not start?

OK, sorry for the snarky reading comment. Quarantine irritability... I think C is a very tough position for a rookie to come in and start. It is very cerebral, you have to know the plays and protections like second nature, and you need NFL level playing strength. Frederick started because he was elite, playing strength was his forte, and had only Phil Costa to beat out. I don't see Ruiz coming in and taking Looney's or McGovern's job. Yes, McGovern has not played a down. But he's had a full NFL season and offseason to learn the offense and protections, get stronger (at least his lower body and core), and hit the ground running this year. I think at most Ruiz would be backup C this year... And yes, it's only my opinion. Just like every other post on this board. But I think we have bigger holes to fill at CB, DE, DT, WR3 that could make more of an impact this year. If we are trading down from 17, I hope that they are the target and not Ruiz.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
OK, sorry for the snarky reading comment. Quarantine irritability... I think C is a very tough position for a rookie to come in and start. It is very cerebral, you have to know the plays and protections like second nature, and you need NFL level playing strength. Frederick started because he was elite, playing strength was his forte, and had only Phil Costa to beat out. I don't see Ruiz coming in and taking Looney's or McGovern's job. Yes, McGovern has not played a down. But he's had a full NFL season and offseason to learn the offense and protections, get stronger (at least his lower body and core), and hit the ground running this year. I think at most Ruiz would be backup C this year... And yes, it's only my opinion. Just like every other post on this board. But I think we have bigger holes to fill at CB, DE, DT, WR3 that could make more of an impact this year. If we are trading down from 17, I hope that they are the target and not Ruiz.

Understand. I can't predict how Ruiz will do at this level and again at 17 no I would not do it but I also can't write off any deal out of hand without knowing all the details involved. Is it a team drafting outside of 17 and are we swapping 1st rd pick with an additional pick? is it is team who has made a selection tying to get another pick in the 1st? without knowing all the details I can't say yes or no to a hypothetical deal. I can say Ruiz at 17? no but later in the 1st rd along with another pick I could see that depending on the compensation

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be surprised if he goes right around that area Thursday. Are you going to do a Cowboys mock draft this year?

Yeah probably but with as many as are done these days I doubt it will be anything original.

I can't take Ruiz at 17 and I don't do trades in my mock.

morasp

Reaction score
Yeah probably but with as many as are done these days I doubt it will be anything original.

I can't take Ruiz at 17 and I don't do trades in my mock.
I'll let you know how good you did. The originality for me is the rationale for the pick. Hopefully you'll give some commentary on each player.

Last edited:

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Hard to believe no one hasn’t taken “shooting their shot” on slater and ran with it