Twitter: Slater: Staff surprises in store; Very little holdover from last year's staff

_sturt_

Reaction score
Very few assistant coaches came here with greater hype about what a technician and good teacher Lal was.

I'm not sure what changed.

Maybe what changed is that you want Amari back, but he's let it be known he's not excited about coming back unless he gets a different coach.

But, otoh, even with all the drama of the last month of the season, that just doesn't fit well with my perception of Amari's nature.

Wonder if it's something else. Maybe he and Kellen don't see eye to eye?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I’m confused as to what’s surprising. Did people actually think when we hired McCarthy, he wasn’t going to bring in his own guys

i think we are actually happy its happening compared to it just being talk.

_sturt_

Reaction score
It almost makes me wonder if Sanjay was the reason that Devin Smith was inexplicably absent for almost the entire season while healthy.

I would think who plays is something the OC and HC determine, not the position coach.

Verdict

Reaction score
I took these as two separate thoughts. In that, outside of a few coaches returning, there are surprising names still in store

I take that as Witten and Lee, basically, joining the staff in some role

Lee would be palatable. Witten, not so much.

jrumann59

Reaction score
It almost makes me wonder if Sanjay was the reason that Devin Smith was inexplicably absent for almost the entire season while healthy.
If Cooper was as banged up at the end as many believe Smith should have been active.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Toss out some names from his Green Bay days......

Mike Solari for offensive line coach?
Alex Van Pelt for WR?
Dave Atkins for RB?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very few assistant coaches came here with greater hype about what a technician and good teacher Lal was.

Maybe what changed is that you want Amari back, but he's let it be known he's not excited about coming back unless he gets a different coach.

But, otoh, even with all the drama of the last month of the season, that just doesn't fit well with my perception of Amari's nature.

I'd also factor in that this receivers group was at the top of the league in drops.

Zordon

Reaction score

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They blew their chance to get Solari last year, when Garrett chose that idiot Paul Alexander instead.
I saw a report that they tried to get Solari. And Alexander was picked after he turned them down for Seattle.

quickccc

Reaction score
NFL Network's Jane Slater now reporting Columbo future is in limbo, .. while WR coach Sandray Lai is not expected to be back.
she's also reporting that they have offered the RB job to someone else,.. but if should he refuse, the players want the popular RB coach Gary Brown back

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Edgar Bennett the possible new RB coach?
Wonder about this guy...

Tony Alford
Assistant Head Coach for Offense/Running Backs
Ohio State University

Tony Alford, who has coached collegiate running backs for 22 years, is in his fifth season as assistant head coach for offense and running backs coach at Ohio State University.

Alford has coached a 1,000-yard runner in each of his first four seasons with Ohio State: Ezekiel Elliott (2015), Mike Weber (2016), J.K. Dobbins (2017 and 2018). He has also coached two major award winners: Elliott won Big Ten Conference offensive player of the year and Chicago Tribune Silver Football award honors in 2015 when he barreled through a 1,821-yard season and scored 23 touchdowns; and Weber was the league’s freshman of the year in 2016.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw a report that they tried to get Solari. And Alexander was picked after he turned them down for Seattle.

Can you show me some evidence for that? Because everything I've ever seen says it was the other way around. And that Jason Garrett chose Alexander based on his brother John's recommendation.