Twitter: Slater: Staff surprises in store; Very little holdover from last year's staff

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Garrett's message and everything was fine. That's just coach speak.

Where he failed was on Sunday's.

His our guys are better then your guys mentality is going to make things complicated for him I think going forward. I don't know if he'll get another job in the Pro game.

He needs to go to a power house team, recruit well, and feast on bad opponents all season.
Oh yeah absolutely, it was just a joke. He keeps mentioning doing things the right way and his "process."

He has way more fire and football acumen than Garrett though, so I'm sure he'll be fine. I just thought it was a funny comparison.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
based on what ?
I thought Michael Gallup's development has been keen and on time. Cobb was productive as an immediate slot. Who knows the mystery of that 4 and 8 Philly game with both Cooper/Cobb
on the sideline.

frankly i'm not fond of Gary Brown who I suspect change the run form of zeke to more pounder and less splash runner ..and kept allowing zeke to keep tapping out, even if it was red zone territory. :mad:
Coaches have make these players sustain discipline and made accountable.

I know we're all critical of Zeke's conditioning as it seems he's always taking himself off the field. However, Zeke did have the 2nd most touches among RBs and the 2nd most snaps this season. I changed my opinion a bit on Zeke's conditioning after seeing those stats. For some reason its really evident when he's coming off the field and maybe the new coaching staff can give him more planned breaks.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/snap-counts/rb.php

_sturt_

Reaction score
Oops... somebody should take a hit on that sleep over story, then. Who reported that???

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I know we're all critical of Zeke's conditioning as it seems he's always taking himself off the field. However, Zeke did have the 2nd most touches among RBs and the 2nd most snaps this season. I changed my opinion a bit on Zeke's conditioning after seeing those stats. For some reason its really evident when he's coming off the field and maybe the new coaching staff can give him more planned breaks.

He hardly comes off the field. In the two games everyone started complaining about Zeke "tapping out" he actually played all but three snaps. One of those snaps was when the FB was on the wrong page and another when Pollard got stuffed. Seems that expecting a guy out there 100% of the snaps ... particularly an RB who is out there blocking DEs on some plays is a bit unreasonable.

Plankton

Reaction score
Wonder about this guy...

Tony Alford
Assistant Head Coach for Offense/Running Backs
Ohio State University

Tony Alford, who has coached collegiate running backs for 22 years, is in his fifth season as assistant head coach for offense and running backs coach at Ohio State University.

Alford has coached a 1,000-yard runner in each of his first four seasons with Ohio State: Ezekiel Elliott (2015), Mike Weber (2016), J.K. Dobbins (2017 and 2018). He has also coached two major award winners: Elliott won Big Ten Conference offensive player of the year and Chicago Tribune Silver Football award honors in 2015 when he barreled through a 1,821-yard season and scored 23 touchdowns; and Weber was the league’s freshman of the year in 2016.

Alford used to coach running backs at Notre Dame. He's really known as being a much better recruiter rather than position coach.

RamziD

Reaction score
So, looking at write-ups on Whitt, Jr. and Oden. Those seem like fantastic hires if we can get them...say hello to a lot more takeaways.

jnday

Reaction score
I’m confused as to what’s surprising. Did people actually think when we hired McCarthy, he wasn’t going to bring in his own guys
Considering that Jerry has picked Asst coaches in the past, it was very reasonable to expect that Jerry would do it again.

CWR

Reaction score

I think the biggest problem is figuring out how to work Pollard in organically rather then when Zeke is tapping out. Maybe if Pollard got more run throughout the game Zeke wouldn't be pulling himself so often. There are many times when we really need him out there and hes on the bench. Then there are times when hes struggling and Pollard cant get a rep. It was maddening to watch.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Very few assistant coaches came here with greater hype about what a technician and good teacher Lal was.

I'm not sure what changed.

Maybe what changed is that you want Amari back, but he's let it be known he's not excited about coming back unless he gets a different coach.

But, otoh, even with all the drama of the last month of the season, that just doesn't fit well with my perception of Amari's nature.

Wonder if it's something else. Maybe he and Kellen don't see eye to eye?

Eatman mentioned last week it seemed like a foregone conclusion that he wouldnt be back without much explanation. Everyone seemed so high on him last year. I found it surprising and wanted the back story.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Good sanjay was trash. I would say keep Kellen Moore, Colombo, Gary Brown, Kitna. Throw everyone else in the trash

I thought Lal did exactly what was asked of him, crispening up the receivers' route running. He doesn't call the routes they run. He doesn't control dropped passes. I would have been fine keeping him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That lead the league in drops. Next
so did To and went to the HOF..SL can NOT teach them to not drop passes LMAO.. hes teaching n them techniques to get off the lines, run routes, and other things to help but one the ball get to them its up to them jeez..

I believe a lot of our best WRs drop a lo or its seems they do around the league as they have a significant amount of targets, it goes up.. also some called drops are insane as dak was so off target they have to be stretch Armstrong to catch it that creates more drops as the catch zone was close enough..lol

lets stop acting as if the coaches are the main issues with missed tackles, drop passes, fumbles , interceptions and penatys.. a lot of this years issue were players making mistakes and less about coaching.. mental focus and drive was lacking and hopefully with the new voice and direction they can get some of that back..coaches can teach all week , all year, until they are blue in the face, on game day its up to the players to execute..

must have been Oquinn not teaching Maher how to kick as well.. :)) right..

alicetooljam

Reaction score
zeke likes gary brown for some of the same reasons that the players liked Garrett. NO ACCOUNTABILITY. I remember watching all or nothing when the cowboys were on it and seeing Brown coddle zeke and display a very weak mindset. Zeke ran the show and brown pacified him, it was a bad look... I wouldn't be surprised if Brown is the reason why zeke comes in all fat and happy and takes forever to get going.. Gary Brown is under the Garrett umbrella of soft culture and must be GONE!

I dont disagree with this, every insight we have gotten with him in the past (good guy), but seems like hes more their buddy than their coach...