Twitter: Slater: Very strong interest in Cowboys and Von Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWR

Reaction score
"Depending on salary expectations" is a pretty significant qualifier. But I'll take it.

The fact they even need to add the qualifier is discouraging to me.

Depending on salary is standard for any team; however, when you go out of your way to make such a statement, it appears you are probably not willing to make an offer of any significance.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, or maybe I'm too aware of recent history.

Carson

Reaction score
The fact they even need to add the qualifier is discouraging to me.

Depending on salary is standard for any team; however, when you go out of your way to make such a statement, it appears you are probably not willing to make an offer of any significance.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, or maybe I'm too aware of recent history.
Well they will pay up to $14 per year for a RDE

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone thinks Miller would sign the same contract offered to Gregory: 5 years, $70 million. That's $14 million per year. Not sure if the Joneses are interested that they would be willing to pay any more than they were willing to give Gregory.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone thinks Miller would sign the same contract offered to Gregory: 5 years, $70 million. That's $14 million per year. Not sure if the Joneses are interested that they would be willing to pay any more than they were willing to give Gregory.

3 years 45 million.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think he would. That contract is above market value for Gregory. I think Miller would take the 28 million guaranteed, and I think the Cowboys would give it to him. Its basically two years, with managable dead can in a 3rd if you cut him

Carson

Reaction score
Being 33, you're likely looking at a three year deal.

At this point, I would guarantee 2 and go from there. I just want us to get Von Miller lol

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He had 8 in 2019, didn't play in 2020 and 9.5 in 2021.

Both years significantly better than anything Randy Gregory has ever done in his career.
He probably wont play any run downs here either. You also dont need him on the field every single pass down with Parsons and Lawrence. We can keep his snaps down and keep his effectiveness high. We would basically try to do with him what the Broncos did with Ware

Carson

Reaction score
He probably wont play any run downs here either. You also dont need him on the field every single pass down with Parsons and Lawrence. We can keep his snaps down and keep his effectiveness high. We would basically try to do with him what the Broncos did with Ware
That is what I am hoping for as well.

Basham and Golston can eat a few snaps as well.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Being 33, you're likely looking at a three year deal.

At this point, I would guarantee 2 and go from there. I just want us to get Von Miller lol

The five-year deal doesn't really have anything to do with his age. The purpose is to spread out the cap hit. Whether it's a three-year deal or five-year deal, it would be a two-year deal. Let's say we give a $20 million signing bonus. If we sign him for three years, that's prorated at $6.67 million. Five years means we save $2.67 million a year against the cap. It's the same money, just a different approach that saves cap space.

Carson

Reaction score
The five-year deal doesn't really have anything to do with his age. The purpose is to spread out the cap hit. Whether it's a three-year deal or five-year deal, it would be a two-year deal. Let's say we give a $20 million signing bonus. If we sign him for three years, that's prorated at $6.67 million. Five years means we save $2.67 million a year against the cap. It's the same money, just a different approach that saves cap space.
I'm all for "just get it done"! Then go sign Michael Pierce lol

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think he would. That contract is above market value for Gregory. I think Miller would take the 28 million guaranteed, and I think the Cowboys would give it to him. Its basically two years, with managable dead can in a 3rd if you cut him

Apparently, it was not above market value for Gregory since he entered the market and got it. Market value is what teams are willing to pay, and the Broncos and Cowboys were both willing to pay that.

Status
Not open for further replies.