Slate's final Mock Draft.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Ok, so I waited till post combine and a few weeks into FA to finally assemble my mock. The Igor signing makes it rather obvious that DE is not going to be a top priority.

Let me preface this...I'm assuming that Greg backs up his bags and get's the hell out of here. I'm also taking in the affect that Scandrick will be in that "star" formation. I'm going to be doing a little wheelin n dealin myself to get 2 third rounders. Just simply too many picks to just sit back. Enjoy.

Round 2- Sean Smith-CB, Utah
With the signing of Igor, we will be able to focus on BPA. Also with Scandrick leaving to FS, our CB depth will be shot to hell if just Jenkins or Newman goes down. I'm still sticking to my guns and believe Sean will still be there. He wants to play CB in this league and will instantly replenish the CB core. It just makes all the sense in the world.

Round 3-Darry Beckwith-ILB-LSU
Having a high 3rd rounder..almost a late 2nd rounder will still allow us to get Beckwith with excellent value. One of the best cover ILB's in the draft, he could instantly make an impact on this team and take over for Burnett. Also has the size to be groomed into a starter in this league. Great lateral movement and speed.

Round 3- Lawrence Sidbury-OLB/DE-Richmond
I'm moving back into the 3rd round and first day in the draft to pick up this guy. Trading the Lions 4th rounder and one our 5th's to get to pick 10-15 in the 3rd. His spin move is identical to Freeney's and dominating. He's one of my pet's in this years draft and could be an impact player opposite Ware. Could play DE on third and long to rush the passer. Also having depth at the OLB postion where you can never have too many pass rushers.

Round 4(our 4th)-Antoine Caldwell-C-Alabama
Backup center that can play all 3 interior line positions. Provides depth at both center and G. Very smart player and one of Saban's favorite linemen. Proctor is just not going to cut it. He gets cut before TC and Caldwell and Holland are reserves for Kosier and BIGG.

Round 5-Rhett Bomar-QB-Sam Houston State
We need a QB to groom and have a chance to start in the future. Has all th tools needed to be a great QB and with right coaching and setting could succeed. I'm tired of 35+ QB's on our roster, we need to get young at QB and become a QB factory.

Round 5(comp pick)-Sammy Lee Hill-DT-Stillman
With Tank leaving there is a backup NT spot left open. Looks like Rat will be playing NT now that Igor has signed, so NT depth is required. Lots of buzz with this kid and I can see why. His size screams 3-4 NT and can help spell Rat in situations. Has a mean bull rush move and plays well in run support.

Round 6-Traded for a future pick in 2010 to help recover the 5th lossed for Holland

Round 6-(Comp)-Darcel Mcbath-FS-Texas Tech
I liked his play when I watched him and could become a solid FS in the future. Has playmaking abilities with 9 picks last year to lead the nation. Not the fastest guy in the world but can provide depth at safety.

Round 7-Javorski Lane-FB-Texas A&M
Bruising FB to help lay some blocks for our running game. Deon Anderson is just simply not a fullback. I've seen him lay some nasty blows to people and reminds me of a young Lorenzo Neal.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1DsF2tJXG0&mode=related&search=

Round 7-Ryan DelRosal-OT-Dixie State
Very raw LT, but could become polished with the right coaching. Great footwork for a guy his size and extremely quick(sub 5 forty) Could end up sitting for a year or two and eventually taking over for Flozell.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Well done sir. Love just about every pick. I hope your boy Smith last that long. The safety position seems to warrant a guy who can play both corner and safety.

Love how you replenish the lber core but I would like to take a DT a lil earlier. I have my eye on the big guy out of Clemson.

I don't think Mcbath will last as long and Caldwell is just what we need on the oline. A versatile guy who can paly G/C well.

I also would like Brannan Southerland at FB. He is more of a traditional FB, also would like to see a OG and a WR in theres somewhere.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2676627 said:
Well done sir. Love just about every pick. I hope your boy Smith last that long. The safety position seems to warrant a guy who can play both corner and safety.

Love how you replenish the lber core but I would like to take a DT a lil earlier. I have my eye on the big guy out of Clemson.

I don't think Mcbath will last as long and Caldwell is just what we need on the oline. A versatile guy who can paly G/C well.

I also would like Brannan Southerland at FB. He is more of a traditional FB, also would like to see a OG and a WR in theres somewhere.

Dorell Scott? Ya I almost put him in the 3rd, but just couldn't find a place with him. Sammy just seems like a perfect fit to spell Rat.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2676666 said:
Dorell Scott? Ya I almost put him in the 3rd, but just couldn't find a place with him. Sammy just seems like a perfect fit to spell Rat.
You know I wouldn't be surpised if we took both. Scott will make some team very happy. I think he's a 1st rd talent who got a bad rap because of the teams defense and record. Spears, Hatcher and Bowen will be FA next year, which could mean Rat moves to the LE fulltime. We will need a DT and a backup DT for that to happen and with a year under there belt the transition could be very smooth.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2676693 said:
You know I wouldn't be surpised if we took both. Scott will make some team very happy. I think he's a 1st rd talent who got a bad rap because of the teams defense and record. Spears, Hatcher and Bowen will be FA next year, which could mean Rat moves to the LE fulltime. We will need a DT and a backup DT for that to happen and with a year under there belt the transition could be very smooth.

That could be a possiblity too. I just like Sidbury because of his pass rushing ability. He's not quite a "need", but back to back DT would be alright with me.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I'd say hell no to Jovorski Lane....You're drafting Sean SMith to play CB? The trade is throwing me off but I like most of your picks I'd drop Smith for a WR though.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2676905 said:
I'd say hell no to Jovorski Lane....You're drafting Sean SMith to play CB? The trade is throwing me off but I like most of your picks I'd drop Smith for a WR though.

Yes I am. He's stated in several interviews that he wants to play corner in the NFL and Scandrick is moving to FS. The trade? I traded the Lions 4th rounder(first pick in that round) and a 6th to get back in the 3rd.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The one thing I can promise you for certain is that if we draft Sean Smith it will be to play FS.

Not only do we have a greater need there, Smith is not a tight man cover guy as he says himself. He knows he is a cover 2 CB which is why he wants to go to a team running a Tampa 2 defense.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Wow, you have the same philosophy I do about this draft. Trading up, and getting a 5th for next year. Smart guy.

I dont really value WR, but were probably gonna end up w/ a speedy 6'0" slot type w/ PR skills

I think Smith makes perfect sense. No matter what we do w/ Scandrick.

I dont see ILB being that big of a need. Maybe a NT there, or Kropug.

And of course Pat White.......

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2676535 said:

I don't think he lasts this long...

Round 3-Darry Beckwith-ILB-LSU

I've read that the Boys really like him... I can certainly see them going this way...

Round 3- Lawrence Sidbury-OLB/DE-Richmond

I dunno, I'm not real high on Sidbury...

I'd LOVE this pick, but I don't think he makes it this far... with Haynesworth playing for the Skins, the Boys badly need a bigger, more physical backup for Gurode...

Maybe the Boys could claim him with the previous pick...

Most of us expect the Boys to draft a developmental QB, and I like Bomar, but he seems to be rising draft boards these days... again, maybe the Boys could snag him with the previous pick...

Round 5(comp pick)-Sammy Lee Hill-DT-Stillman

At one time I was quite high on Hill, now I'm dubious about the level of competition he played at... it's a BIG jump to the NFL from Stillman...

Round 6-(Comp)-Darcel Mcbath-FS-Texas Tech

I like McBath, but I've seen him as high as the 4th round in recent mocks...

Round 7-Javorski Lane-FB-Texas A&M

As big as he is, he's more of a ballcarrier than a blocker...

Round 7-Ryan DelRosal-OT-Dixie State

I'd like that pick...

All in all, not bad...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2676627 said:

I like Dorell Scott, but I'd prefer Chris Baker from Hampton... though some project him to DE in a 3-4, he weighed in at 325 at the Combine, and I think he can play NT at that size...

I've also read recently that the Boys have talked with RaShon Harris, the 320 pound DT from Oregon, who looks like a 5th or 6th rounder...

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2677067 said:
Wow, you have the same philosophy I do about this draft. Trading up, and getting a 5th for next year. Smart guy.

I dont really value WR, but were probably gonna end up w/ a speedy 6'0" slot type w/ PR skills

I think Smith makes perfect sense. No matter what we do w/ Scandrick.

I dont see ILB being that big of a need. Maybe a NT there, or Kropug.

And of course Pat White.......

I just don't see any need for Pat White on this offense.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2676954 said:
Yes I am. He's stated in several interviews that he wants to play corner in the NFL and Scandrick is moving to FS. The trade? I traded the Lions 4th rounder(first pick in that round) and a 6th to get back in the 3rd.

Ah, I see. Isn't it a little early for your final mock ?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2677989 said:
Ah, I see. Isn't it a little early for your final mock ?

No, all the moves have pretty much been made. Even if we add a corner, I'll stll stick with my mock.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Well here's my Final Mock part 2 haha..I was impressed with some people in their pro-days so I wanted to tweak it a little

With the signing of Igor, we will be able to focus on BPA. Also with Sensabaugh being added I still think we could use the depth back there. I'm still sticking to my guns and believe Sean will still be there.

Round 3-Daniel Ellerbe-ILB-Georgia
Having a high 3rd rounder..almost a late 2nd rounder will still allow us to get Ellerbe with excellent value. I really liked his pro-day and actually seems to have better coverage and POA skills better than Beckwith. I popped in a few Georgia tapes i recorded last season and was impressed. Can't believe I missed out on this guy.

Round 3- Jason Williams-OLB-Western Illinois
I'm moving back into the 3rd round and first day in the draft to pick up this guy. Trading the Lions 4th rounder and one our 5th's to get to pick 10-15 in the 3rd. Some people have this guy at ILB but I think he has OLB written all over him. He's a hot commodity now with his freakish measurables. Runs a 4.4 at 240 pounds..pretty impressive. Has a knack to force fumbles coming off the edge and could play a big role in our defense. I believe Ellis is let go or traded. Williams could spell both Spencer and Ware.

Backup center that can play all 3 interior line positions. Provides depth at both center and G. Very smart player and one of Saban's favorite linemen. Proctor is just not going to cut it. He gets cut before TC and Caldwell and Holland are reserves for Kosier and BIGG.

We need a QB to groom and have a chance to start in the future. Has all th tools needed to be a great QB and with right coaching and setting could succeed. I'm tired of 35+ QB's on our roster, we need to get young at QB and become a QB factory.

Round 5(comp pick)-Ra'Shon Harris-DT-Oregon
With Tank leaving there is a backup NT spot left open. Looks like Rat will be playing NT now that Igor has signed, so NT depth is required. Not sure if he will still be there but he could spell Rat at NT and maybe groom for next year to move Rat over to DE. He's 6"5 321 and can collapse the pocket.

Round 6-Traded for a future pick in 2010 to help recover the 5th lossed for Holland

Round 6(comp)-Daniel Holtclaw-Eastern Michigan-ILB
I believe he'll still be available. He was considered a UFA but he had a great pro day and showed he could compete in the NFL. 4 year starter and natural leader. One of those grit guys that you need on your team. Could backup Bradie and provide depth at ILB..Hopefully we'll trade Barbie in the draft.

Round 6-Michael Ray Garvin-Florida St-PR/KR
Traded both 7th rounders to move up and grab him. A true speedster and could help return punts. Crayton is terrible even though he is "sure hands" but he'll never break one for a TD. We need a threat and Garvins 4.24 speed will allow him to be just that.

ghst187

Reaction score
Love the mock, add in a quick, fast WR and I'd take it

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
jterrell;2677027 said:
The one thing I can promise you for certain is that if we draft Sean Smith it will be to play FS.

Not only do we have a greater need there, Smith is not a tight man cover guy as he says himself. He knows he is a cover 2 CB which is why he wants to go to a team running a Tampa 2 defense.

Ding. Ding. Ding. Winner. Smith will play safety, if chosen by the Cowboys.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
just so you know, the 3rd round is 2nd day as of last year's draft.

what do you think of my latest....

2 - OG Duke Robinson or OC Eric Wood
3 - OLB Lawrence Sidbury
4 - ILB Daniel Holtzclaw
4 - FS Darcel McBath
5 - OLB Jason Williams
5 - DT Sammie Lee Hill
5 - WR Johnny Knox
6 - CB Brice McCain
6 - OT Lydon Murtha
7 - ILB/SS Spencer Adkins
7 - CB Wopamo Osaisai

UDFA
OT - Ryan Delrosal
OT - Jose Valdez
CB - Ryan Palmer
WR - Greg Carr

I am hoping we wait until next season to draft a QB to groom, hopefully Colt McCoy.