Slept on Need: DE/EDGE

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think a sneaky need this team currently has going into 2024 is DE/EDGE. Dorrance Armstrong and Dante Fowler are both UFAs and at least one, if not both are likely to walk due to the contract needs elsewhere on the team. Not to mention, there may be some loyalty with former Quinn players following him to Washington.

If the board falls a certain way (i.e., serious run on OL), I could see a couple of DE/EDGE prospects that could be in play at #24:

Darius Robinson and Laiatu Latu.

Of these two, who is your preference and why?

Centex

Reaction score
Latu had a serious neck injury a while back. I read that he medically retired from football for a short time. That scares me with what we have been through with others.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Darius has some Tank to him.

I'm really liking the Kansas Edge as a second round gamble/

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a sneaky need this team currently has going into 2024 is DE/EDGE. Dorrance Armstrong and Dante Fowler are both UFAs and at least one, if not both are likely to walk due to the contract needs elsewhere on the team. Not to mention, there may be some loyalty with former Quinn players following him to Washington.

If the board falls a certain way (i.e., serious run on OL), I could see a couple of DE/EDGE prospects that could be in play at #24
I think you are completely right.

Gambit

Reaction score

If the board falls a certain way (i.e., serious run on OL), I could see a couple of DE/EDGE prospects that could be in play at #24:

Robinson only because I don't see a scenario where Lati falls to 24.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Latu had a serious neck injury a while back. I read that he medically retired from football for a short time. That scares me with what we have been through with others.
FWIW, here’s what I found on wiki:

“Latu suffered a neck injury during fall practices entering his sophomore year. Following the season, Washington's team doctors deemed that the injury had not recovered enough and that it would be too dangerous for Latu to continue playing football. Huskies' head coach Jimmy Lake announced that Latu had retired at the start of spring practices in 2021.[7] He remained enrolled at the University of Washington for the first semester of his junior year before entering the NCAA transfer portal to find a program where he could continue his college football career.[8]

Latu ultimately transferred to the University of California, Los Angeles.[9] He was cleared to play by team physicians near the end on the Bruins' spring practices.[10] Latu was named the Pac-12 Conference Defensive Player of the Week for Week 4 after recording three sacks and forcing a fumble against Colorado.[11]

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think Robinson is more realistic in terms of being available as an option at 24. I also like the fact he has size to him at ~285 lbs. I think part of the problem with our run defense is we have no heft on the d-line. We trot out these 245-255 lbs DEs that get moved off the line far too often.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think it’s a flat out need…good teams have figured out we don’t have anyone that can be a consistent threat outside of Parsons so he just eats double teams in the playoffs and we struggle to create pressure. Thats not even considering the players we’re about to lose in FA.

Im not a fan of the big bodied guys outside so Robinson doesn’t do it for me. I think he’s best suited to kick inside.

Latu is Edge 1 according to most so is a pipedream IMO.

I think realistic options would guys like:

Verse
Robinson
Braswell
Trice

Depends on how the board shakes out but you could probably talk me into one of these dudes. Verse and Chop would be my favorites.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
That is a pass for me.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Much bigger need then many realize: Armstrong/Fowler are fa's. Cannot trust Sam Williams. DLaw probably playing more season with the team.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
FWIW, here’s what I found on wiki:

“Latu suffered a neck injury during fall practices entering his sophomore year. Following the season, Washington's team doctors deemed that the injury had not recovered enough and that it would be too dangerous for Latu to continue playing football. Huskies' head coach Jimmy Lake announced that Latu had retired at the start of spring practices in 2021.[7] He remained enrolled at the University of Washington for the first semester of his junior year before entering the NCAA transfer portal to find a program where he could continue his college football career.[8]

Latu ultimately transferred to the University of California, Los Angeles.[9] He was cleared to play by team physicians near the end on the Bruins' spring practices.[10] Latu was named the Pac-12 Conference Defensive Player of the Week for Week 4 after recording three sacks and forcing a fumble against Colorado.[11]
We heard the same things about Lve when it was drafted, neck injuries are concerning.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys have D-Law, Parsons and Williams under contract for DE position. Will probably keep either Armstrong or Fowler. Plus, Villiami Fehoko, Jr can play DE as well.

DE is not a position of need.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Cowboys have D-Law, Parsons and Williams under contract for DE position. Will probably keep either Armstrong or Fowler. Plus, Villiami Fehoko, Jr can play DE as well.

“Will probably keep” seems like a stretch for a team that needs young talent at the position.

Fehoko has been working inside / outside so he isn’t the answer.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
“Will probably keep” seems like a stretch for a team that needs young talent at the position.

Fehoko has been working inside / outside so he isn’t the answer.
There are bigger needs at other positions with only very limited draft picks available.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Everybody has names. The Cowboys have Parsons and a bunch of guys at DE. Dorance friggin Armstrong is our 2nd most productive pass rusher.

If you want a better defense you have to improve there as well as DT.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Everybody has names. The Cowboys have Parsons and a bunch of guys at DE. Dorance friggin Armstrong is our 2nd most productive pass rusher.

If you want a better defense you have to improve there as well as DT.
Dorrance Armstrong Jr was our 2nd most productive pass rusher last year because he received a majority of snaps compared to Sam Williams. Armstrong had 7.5 sacks while playing 446 defensive snaps (42%). Williams had 4.5 sacks while playing 303 defensive snaps (28%). Give Sam Williams 42% of all defensive snaps, he most likely surpasses Armstrong's 7.5 sacks in a season.