Slept on Need: DE/EDGE

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dorrance Armstrong Jr was our 2nd most productive pass rusher last year because he received a majority of snaps compared to Sam Williams. Armstrong had 7.5 sacks while playing 446 defensive snaps (42%). Williams had 4.5 sacks while playing 303 defensive snaps (28%). Give Sam Williams 42% of all defensive snaps, he most likely surpasses Armstrong's 7.5 sacks in a season.
Sam Williams snaps were so limited his 2nd year not because he's some uber talent waiting to take the league by storm.

The Cowboys have one real pass rusher that teams have to account for. The rest are just names. You know all the names. So in your mind they are stacked.

Fans always do this this time of year. Right after wanting to blow everything all up after an embarrassing end to the season they rebound and campaign to bring the same team back for another tour. Every single player if they can.

That DL is in need of a major overhaul.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Sam Williams snaps were so limited his 2nd year not because he's some uber talent waiting to take the league by storm.

The Cowboys have one real pass rusher that teams have to account for. The rest are just names. You know all the names. So in your mind they are stacked.

Fans always do this this time of year. Right after wanting to blow everything all up after an embarrassing end to the season they rebound and campaign to bring the same team back for another tour. Every single player if they can.

That DL is in need of a major overhaul.
How did Dan Quinn's player stupid decision making work out? That's why he's gone. Good riddance. His decision making cost us the playoff game vs the Packers. Dak, CeeDee and the very limited Offense carried this team all season long.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Everybody has names. The Cowboys have Parsons and a bunch of guys at DE. Dorance friggin Armstrong is our 2nd most productive pass rusher.

If you want a better defense you have to improve there as well as DT.
Preach…

DA is a solid backup and special teamer…but we need better.

Proof

Reaction score
How did Dan Quinn's player stupid decision making work out? That's why he's gone. Good riddance. His decision making cost us the playoff game vs the Packers. Dak, CeeDee and the very limited Offense carried this team all season long.
he's gone because he got a promotion lol. dak and ceedee did not carry the team all season. you make weird hard line stances

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
DE is arguably the most measurables-driven position in football, so I'd like to see some Combine numbers for everyone before I get to rankings.

On tape, I like Chop a little more than Latu because he has a ton of first-step burst. Latu is cartoonishly long and has excellent agility at his size, but I don't know if he has elite speed or power.

Verse looks like your classic power end. And I'll call it now, he'll be a quality NFL starter. The two most predictive drills for edge rushers are the broad jump and 3 cone, and on tape, he looks like he'll smash those. He's got an elite first step and has no problem weaving through rushing lanes. Then couple that with 2 years of high-end production in translatable areas (pressures and TFLs), and a history of working his butt off. I don't know if he has the top-end speed to be a sack artist, but Verse is a "zero chance he'll suck" guy.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
No, it's just your own warped personal preference which FA is for. Much bigger needs currently on team than DE.
I think it’s a commonly known roster building strategy to fill your largest holes in FA so you don’t have to draft for need…but ok if you disagree.

cnuball21

Reaction score
DE is arguably the most measurables-driven position in football, so I'd like to see some Combine numbers for everyone before I get to rankings.

On tape, I like Chop a little more than Latu because he has a ton of first-step burst. Latu is cartoonishly long and has excellent agility at his size, but I don't know if he has elite speed or power.

Verse looks like your classic power end. And I'll call it now, he'll be a quality NFL starter. The two most predictive drills for edge rushers are the broad jump and 3 cone, and on tape, he looks like he'll smash those. He's got an elite first step and has no problem weaving through rushing lanes. Then couple that with 2 years of high-end production in translatable areas (pressures and TFLs), and a history of working his butt off. I don't know if he has the top-end speed to be a sack artist, but Verse is a "zero chance he'll suck" guy.
Latu may not blow the doors off the combine but I think he’ll hit the thresholds…what’s most impressive is his pass rush tool built. Pretty rare for a college kid.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Latu may not blow the doors off the combine but I think he’ll hit the thresholds…what’s most impressive is his pass rush tool built. Pretty rare for a college kid.
He's huge and his counting stats are out the roof, so threshold athleticism would be plenty to lock up an early 1st round pick.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He's huge and his counting stats are out the roof, so threshold athleticism would be plenty to lock up an early 1st round pick.
100%…I think the only concern is going to be the medicals.

If you haven’t already check out Braswell…whew. The gap between him and Turner is much much smaller than I originally thought after taking a deeper dive.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
100%…I think the only concern is going to be the medicals.

If you haven’t already check out Braswell…whew. The gap between him and Turner is much much smaller than I originally thought after taking a deeper dive.
I haven't seen him! Off to Youtube.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
“Will probably keep” seems like a stretch for a team that needs young talent at the position.

Fehoko has been working inside / outside so he isn’t the answer.
From my understanding they want Fehoko to be a 3T, not a DE

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He’ll probably get the Ty Crawford treatment and bounce around…but I’m not counting on him to be much of a difference maker.
My most optimistic expectation of him is je is a 300 snap utility guy by the end of his rookie deal

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
could use a solid rotational piece with potential to turn into a starter, someone with more size.

DT needs a huge overhaul. I wouldn’t mind 3 new DT’s.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m not sure what tape folks are watching but Latu has a tremendous burst off the snap. He has a good arsenal of pass rush approaches, can bend the corner, and most importantly…dude has a motor. He makes a ton of plays in pursuit chasing on the backend.

He 6’-4.5” 261 lbs which is plenty big.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’m not sure what tape folks are watching but Latu has a tremendous burst off the snap. He has a good arsenal of pass rush approaches, can bend the corner, and most importantly…dude has a motor. He makes a ton of plays in pursuit chasing on the backend.

He 6’-4.5” 261 lbs which is plenty big.
Only concern is the injury history for me…if that checks out he’s clear cut Edge 1 IMO.