Slot WR our biggest need

DanA

Reaction score
I’m kidding, but I’m curious in the response.

I'd take Justin Jefferson before those two guys. I might be interested in a trade down situation but he's in the mix with McKinney, Gross Matos and Diggs rather than Ruggs, Chaisson, Henderson and Kinlaw.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I'd take Justin Jefferson before those two guys. I might be interested in a trade down situation but he's in the mix with McKinney, Gross Matos and Diggs rather than Ruggs, Chaisson, Henderson and Kinlaw.

at 17???

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
At the moment, in order, I probably have it:

1. Kinlaw
2. Henderson
3. Chaisson
4. Trade down
5. Ruggs
6. Gross Matos
7. Diggs
8. Jefferson
9. McKinney

YGM or McKinney if drafted in the first round IMO is a big reach.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I will say this penciling in a WR to draft needing to be the slot guy is not doing you any justice not matter what round you are drafting him in. I think you could draft a WR to play on the outside and move Cooper to play inside and outside, and hopefully you draft someone who has some versatility.
If we don't draft someone in the first round I think someone like Reagor, or Aiyuk could be a great pickup in the 2nd because I think they are both versatile and could be game-changing WR's from inside or outside.
Aiyuk in the 2nd would be a home run.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Michael Gallup i pretty damn good too.

So if Ruggs is gone should they draft Reagor or Mims at 17?
Gallup is good. Amari is great. WR is still a need. The Cowboys had 3+ WRs on the field on over 65% of plays last year, and that's not even accounting for the number of snaps the #3 gets when Amari/Gallup get nicked up. I mean, you don't ignore right tackle because you have a good left tackle.

Reagor I would, but probably not Mims.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Gallup is good. Amari is great. WR is still a need. The Cowboys had 3+ WRs on the field on over 65% of plays last year, and that's not even accounting for the number of snaps the #3 gets when Amari/Gallup get nicked up. I mean, you don't ignore right tackle because you have a good left tackle.

Reagor I would, but probably not Mims.

Nobody said ignore it, but I think the point is there's a ton of options in this draft and you can get a guy in this draft in the 3rd day although I assume it will and should be addressed in the first 2 days.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nobody said ignore it, but I think the point is there's a ton of options in this draft and you can get a guy in this draft in the 3rd day although I assume it will and should be addressed in the first 2 days.
"You can get a guy in this draft in the third day" applies to every position. The point is that you don't want just a guy. If you draft a safety at 17, you're getting a guy. If you draft Ruggs at 17 (and I think Reagor), you're getting a guy who is an immediate difference-maker.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
"You can get a guy in this draft in the third day" applies to every position. The point is that you don't want just a guy. If you draft a safety at 17, you're getting a guy. If you draft Ruggs at 17 (and I think Reagor), you're getting a guy who is an immediate difference-maker.

I agree, but you have your Darius Heyward-Bey who bust, and you can find your Mike Wallace's of the world later in the draft too.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I agree, but you have your Darius Heyward-Bey who bust, and you can find your Mike Wallace's of the world later in the draft too.
Ok, you also have your Justin Gilberts and Richard Shermans. Any position can bust, any position can be found late.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
So you go with guys who make the most impact early...that's WR.

I don't really get your point. Bust potential is pretty irrelevant.

Actually WR is not really known to be a position to get an early impact from although last year seemed to beg the differ.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Actually WR is not really known to be a position to get an early impact from although last year seemed to beg the differ.
Neither is corner, DT, DE...or really anything other than OL and RB.

Ruggs is an immediate impact because of his speed. He doesn't need polish.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It's not the position we need to allocate the most resources but it is absolutely the biggest need. We cannot send a scrub out to play 700 snaps on our offense.
I would argue that if you utilize TE & RB's more effectively you can account for a good chunk of those targets. Having said that, this draft is so deep in WR talent that its hard to imagine not coming away with a nice player who can come in & contribute.

DanA

Reaction score
I would argue that if you utilize TE & RB's more effectively you can account for a good chunk of those targets. Having said that, this draft is so deep in WR talent that its hard to imagine not coming away with a nice player who can come in & contribute.

In 2018 all but the 49ers used 11 personnel more than 50% of the time and Mike McCarthy used it the 2nd most in the league at 78% of the time.

We can use an extra TE or RB a bit but you don’t want to tie our coaches hands.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
In 2018 all but the 49ers used 11 personnel more than 50% of the time and Mike McCarthy used it the 2nd most in the league at 78% of the time.

We can use an extra TE or RB a bit but you don’t want to tie our coaches hands.
No, but he said he was a coach who wanted talent & he would figure out how to best utilize them. We know Jarwin, Pollard & Zeke have all been underutilized in the passing game so he has some resources even if we don't add a significant slot threat.