CFZ Smart move will let both Zeke/Pollard go!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In my opinion, no need to discuss Zeke Elliot, he is finished and shouldn't come back in any capacity.

Pollard is a whole other discussion, he is a true homerun hitter where he can score anytime he touches the football, could even be better if the coaches allow him to be the guy, involve him in the screen/passing games. However, he is coming off serious injury that can affect his greatest strength-his explosiveness.

Extending running backs has been disasterous in today's game. Almost all running backs with their 2nd contracts fall off the cliff, we seen it with Zeke, Gurley and Bell. Look at the playoff teams, most have running back committees that are very cap friendly or have dual threat running backs that take on most of the load.

Yes, Pollard doesn't have much wear and tear, but they can draft multiple backs that can give them similar production at 1/3 the price.

This year is a very talented, deep, running back class, select one high (1-3) and another one on day 3. Could always sign a cheap veteran in fa as well.

Loso86

Reaction score
In my opinion, no need to discuss Zeke Elliot, he is finished and shouldn't come back in any capacity.

Pollard is a whole other discussion, he is a true homerun hitter where he can score anytime he touches the football, could even be better if the coaches allow him to be the guy, involve him in the screen/passing games. However, he is coming off serious injury that can affect his greatest strength-his explosiveness.

Extending running backs has been disasterous in today's game. Almost all running backs with their 2nd contracts fall off the cliff, we seen it with Zeke, Gurley and Bell. Look at the playoff teams, most have running back committees that are very cap friendly or have dual threat running backs that take on most of the load.

Yes, Pollard doesn't have much wear and tear, but they can draft multiple backs that can give them similar production at 1/3 the price.

This year is a very talented, deep, running back class, select one high (1-3) and another one on day 3. Could always sign a cheap veteran in fa as well.
And do what, and u known commodity. That would really help out 4, who needs all the help he can get to look like a legitimate franchise qb

cnuball21

Reaction score

I would…in the hypothetical we would tag Pollard we would save like 20+ million.

You just can’t, can’t, can’t build a championship caliber roster with big money invested in the RB position.

Believe the Chiefs and Eagles both have less than 5 mil TOTAL.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m a Pollard guy.. If we can do a 2 year deal I’d be up for it. He’s just so impactful.

But if we let Zeke and Pollard walk then replacing them will be easy.

Replacing Pollards big play ability will be almost impossible though.

If Josh Jacobs hits free agency and he costs as much as Pollard I’d probably sign Jacobs.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Letting go of Pollard means you have one more weapon to add.

Do you get someone as good as Pollard? I guess we'll see if they're willing to take that risk.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I’m a Pollard guy.. If we can do a 2 year deal I’d be up for it. He’s just so impactful.

If Josh Jacobs hits free agency and he costs as much as Pollard I’d probably sign Jacobs.
Agree.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Transition tag is 8.5 million for RBs is that an unreasonable amount to pay Pollard to see how he responds? In the short term he gets to explore other contract options, and the Cowboys get to match.

Cowboys should still draft a back somewhere between rounds 2 and 3.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

Throw in Schultz and Tyron and I'm sold. The nature of the beast for perennial contenders is to churn the roster and move on from talent. Stay young and mix in some Vets to fill holes.

MAZEREZAM

Reaction score

Agreed. Move on from both. This is a strong draft for RBs.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Transition tag is 8.5 million for RBs is that an unreasonable amount to pay Pollard to see how he responds? In the short term he gets to explore other contract options, and the Cowboys get to match.

Cowboys should still draft a back somewhere between rounds 2 and 3.
Is the transition tag back to being a thing? Last I had heard teams pretty much ruined the transition tag by creating contractual stipulations that made it impossible for other teams to match. For example, giving Tony Pollard a contract clause that he gets a $10MM bonus if 50% or more of his snaps played were in the state of Texas. Maybe the league has corrected the issue and I'm completely wrong, but I don't remember many, if any players getting the transition tag in recent years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There is almost zero development needed on the NFL from the college game, we can easily find an impactful back.
I agree in general because I don’t want to ever give a RB a second deal ever again, but I think the letting go of both limpy and Pollard in the same year went out the door when they didn’t get a back in last years draft.

The kid said they thought about it, but they wanted Ferguson. Tough to argue there.

So, while 10m may be a bit too much for Pollard, it allows the one year opportunity, much like Schultz this year.

Personally I don’t want one particular back who is supposedly great. I want three that are interchangeable. Maybe four counting the PS.

I want to fully remake the position by 2024, and add a true 3rd down back along the way, a weapon we haven’t had since Dunbar, and could probably help out Dak considerably.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would…in the hypothetical we would tag Pollard we would save like 20+ million.

You just can’t, can’t, can’t build a championship caliber roster with big money invested in the RB position.

Believe the Chiefs and Eagles both have less than 5 mil TOTAL.
Couldn't agree more, it's time the Cowboys change that philosophy. They don't need a great back, but rather a strong committee to complements the group.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

You could always draft Gibbs who is very similar.