CFZ Smart move will let both Zeke/Pollard go!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Throw in Schultz and Tyron and I'm sold. The nature of the beast for perennial contenders is to churn the roster and move on from talent. Stay young and mix in some Vets to fill holes.
Tyron is a interesting subject, could use him to fill in for Steele who is coming back from an late acl tear or even can trade him. He is just 32 years old.

Bing

Reaction score
Both should walk......as I've said before....running backs on rookie contracts only.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree in general because I don’t want to ever give a RB a second deal ever again, but I think the letting go of both limpy and Pollard in the same year went out the door when they didn’t get a back in last years draft.

The kid said they thought about it, but they wanted Ferguson. Tough to argue there.

So, while 10m may be a bit too much for Pollard, it allows the one year opportunity, much like Schultz this year.

Personally I don’t want one particular back who is supposedly great. I want three that are interchangeable. Maybe four counting the PS.

I want to fully remake the position by 2024, and add a true 3rd down back along the way, a weapon we haven’t had since Dunbar, and could probably help out Dak considerably.
Perfect world you can replace Pollard and then find a short-yardage back. Even good sign a cheap veteran for the latter to replace Zeke.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m a Pollard guy.. If we can do a 2 year deal I’d be up for it. He’s just so impactful.

But if we let Zeke and Pollard walk then replacing them will be easy.

Replacing Pollards big play ability will be almost impossible though.
I would do a 2 year deal in a heartbeat. But Pollard wouldn't ever agree to that.

There are only so many draft picks. Do the Cowboys really want to use 2 on a RB? I don't.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
In my opinion, no need to discuss Zeke Elliot, he is finished and shouldn't come back in any capacity.

Pollard is a whole other discussion, he is a true homerun hitter where he can score anytime he touches the football, could even be better if the coaches allow him to be the guy, involve him in the screen/passing games. However, he is coming off serious injury that can affect his greatest strength-his explosiveness.

Extending running backs has been disasterous in today's game. Almost all running backs with their 2nd contracts fall off the cliff, we seen it with Zeke, Gurley and Bell. Look at the playoff teams, most have running back committees that are very cap friendly or have dual threat running backs that take on most of the load.

Yes, Pollard doesn't have much wear and tear, but they can draft multiple backs that can give them similar production at 1/3 the price.

This year is a very talented, deep, running back class, select one high (1-3) and another one on day 3. Could always sign a cheap veteran in fa as well.
I have to look at the running back prospects as a whole but I agree with you for the most part. The problem is some of the running back prospects went back to college. Do you really want go with a Davis, second round and 5th round running back prospect. I don’t think MM would risk his job on that.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Tyron is a interesting subject, could use him to fill in for Steele who is coming back from an late acl tear or even can trade him. He is just 32 years old.
Yea, but history tells us we will also need someone to fill in for Tyron.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have to look at the running back prospects as a whole but I agree with you for the most part. The problem is some of the running back prospects went back to college. Do you really want go with a Davis, second round and 5th round running back prospect. I don’t think MM would risk his job on that.
I would draft a player like Gibbs and add a low cost veteran like Fournette.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yea, but history tells us we will also need someone to fill in for Tyron.
Absolutely. Think the team would be best served to find another Tyler Smith, one who can play either Guard or Tackle. This would allow Tyron to walk. I do really think they could get a day 2 pick for him as teams will still be interested.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I would draft a player like Gibbs and add a low cost veteran like Fournette.
I don’t think Gibbs makes it to the end of the second round. There will probably be a run on running back as soon as the Texas kid is drafted. You would have to take Gibbs at 26.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, it's time the Cowboys change that philosophy. They don't need a great back, but rather a strong committee to complements the group.
Unfortunately I just saw Stephen said he didn’t see a dropoff in Zeke this year…lol

So we’ll pay him next year to get like 3 YPC.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would do a 2 year deal in a heartbeat. But Pollard wouldn't ever agree to that.

There are only so many draft picks. Do the Cowboys really want to use 2 on a RB? I don't.

I would..

Someone like Deuce Vaughn in round 4 after getting a every down type early on..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Unfortunately I just saw Stephen said he didn’t see a dropoff in Zeke this year…lol

So we’ll pay him next year to get like 3 YPC.
That would be a disaster if they kept him in any capacity, maybe he just saying that publically as they have a close relationship with him.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Never assume someone will offer Pollard big money. It’s not a guarantee.
Free agency will be here before he’s 100%. Will he pass a physical or work out?
I don’t think most teams will view a part time back as a must have.

He may very well settle for a reasonable contract or even an extension depending on where the market is for him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In my opinion, no need to discuss Zeke Elliot, he is finished and shouldn't come back in any capacity.

Pollard is a whole other discussion, he is a true homerun hitter where he can score anytime he touches the football, could even be better if the coaches allow him to be the guy, involve him in the screen/passing games. However, he is coming off serious injury that can affect his greatest strength-his explosiveness.

Extending running backs has been disasterous in today's game. Almost all running backs with their 2nd contracts fall off the cliff, we seen it with Zeke, Gurley and Bell. Look at the playoff teams, most have running back committees that are very cap friendly or have dual threat running backs that take on most of the load.

Yes, Pollard doesn't have much wear and tear, but they can draft multiple backs that can give them similar production at 1/3 the price.

This year is a very talented, deep, running back class, select one high (1-3) and another one on day 3. Could always sign a cheap veteran in fa as well.
We missed the chance the chance last year. In hindsight, we should have drafted a HB in the 3rd instead of Tolbert. I wouldn't mind having Pollard back on a shorter term deal and drafting someone early as well

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm not sure we would even have to tag Pollard to bring him back. The word is he can't pass a physical until June/July. I can't imagine any team giving him significant guaranteed money or long-term commitment. I'm guessing he may have to settle for a 1-year prove-it deal, perhaps half of the tag value which would be approx $5M. I'll take Tony Pollard for 1 year at $5M every day and yes draft one with the first three picks.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tag Pollard listen to offers somebody may get desperate and crazy before deadline