CFZ Smart move will let both Zeke/Pollard go!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would…in the hypothetical we would tag Pollard we would save like 20+ million.

You just can’t, can’t, can’t build a championship caliber roster with big money invested in the RB position.

Believe the Chiefs and Eagles both have less than 5 mil TOTAL.
I wonder what Sanders got this year for making the Pro Bowl. I know the NFL gives out there own performance incentives for non 1st round picks.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Is the transition tag back to being a thing? Last I had heard teams pretty much ruined the transition tag by creating contractual stipulations that made it impossible for other teams to match. For example, giving Tony Pollard a contract clause that he gets a $10MM bonus if 50% or more of his snaps played were in the state of Texas. Maybe the league has corrected the issue and I'm completely wrong, but I don't remember many, if any players getting the transition tag in recent years.
I think it's still rarely used, but would hope the NFL has done something about a situation like that. I can't imagine that flying with the NFLPA.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We missed the chance the chance last year. In hindsight, we should have drafted a HB in the 3rd instead of Tolbert. I wouldn't mind having Pollard back on a shorter term deal and drafting someone early as well
Pollard's injury is one that can re-occur. After what we saw with Gallup, don't want to resign another player coming off of major injury. This includes both A. Brown and Lewis.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In my opinion, no need to discuss Zeke Elliot, he is finished and shouldn't come back in any capacity.

Pollard is a whole other discussion, he is a true homerun hitter where he can score anytime he touches the football, could even be better if the coaches allow him to be the guy, involve him in the screen/passing games. However, he is coming off serious injury that can affect his greatest strength-his explosiveness.

Extending running backs has been disasterous in today's game. Almost all running backs with their 2nd contracts fall off the cliff, we seen it with Zeke, Gurley and Bell. Look at the playoff teams, most have running back committees that are very cap friendly or have dual threat running backs that take on most of the load.

Yes, Pollard doesn't have much wear and tear, but they can draft multiple backs that can give them similar production at 1/3 the price.

This year is a very talented, deep, running back class, select one high (1-3) and another one on day 3. Could always sign a cheap veteran in fa as well.
I like Pollard, wouldn't mike keeping him, but he may cost too much money and I will be ok with both being gone.

sacase

Reaction score
There is almost zero development needed on the NFL from the college game, we can easily find an impactful back.
This is bogus. The top 8 backs were all 1st or 2nd round picks. This is a lie fans want to belive to make themselves feel better

TwentyOne

Reaction score
In my opinion, no need to discuss Zeke Elliot, he is finished and shouldn't come back in any capacity.

Pollard is a whole other discussion, he is a true homerun hitter where he can score anytime he touches the football, could even be better if the coaches allow him to be the guy, involve him in the screen/passing games. However, he is coming off serious injury that can affect his greatest strength-his explosiveness.

Extending running backs has been disasterous in today's game. Almost all running backs with their 2nd contracts fall off the cliff, we seen it with Zeke, Gurley and Bell. Look at the playoff teams, most have running back committees that are very cap friendly or have dual threat running backs that take on most of the load.

Yes, Pollard doesn't have much wear and tear, but they can draft multiple backs that can give them similar production at 1/3 the price.

This year is a very talented, deep, running back class, select one high (1-3) and another one on day 3. Could always sign a cheap veteran in fa as well.
Yeah deep RB class.

But can they pass block and give everything on their 1 yard runs ?

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Someone like Deuce Vaughn in round 4 after getting a every down type early on..
I think Deuce Vaughn could be the 2023 draft's version of Tony Pollard. The dude is smaller than Pollard but is absolutely lightning in a bottle.

Someone is going to get a steal with him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is bogus. The top 8 backs were all 1st or 2nd round picks. This is a lie fans want to belive to make themselves feel better
then lets draft one in the 2nd round (although Pollard not statistically top 8, he could have been with more carries if not for zeke, was a 4th round pick....)
but we should never hand a RB a second contract unless its extremely reasonable and less than 3% of the cap.

Cmac

Reaction score

.....reading this, I'm wondering if you're suggesting a RB shouldn't get paid beyond a rookie contract? Zeke obviously outperformed his rookie contract and not a word was said that he wasn't being paid enough. It's always that way, except for the QB position. At some point fans need to understand a players plight instead of the owner's power (release, cut, restructure/discount) or the fan's wishy/washy opinions on somebody else' money (forgetting what the negoiations were for....outperfoming prior contract & shelf life)

As for TPollard....another reason a RB tries to get his money......any moment, one hit can take you out. Now the first thing being heard across the table will be...."We have to see how your leg is coming along." Now TPollard money is questionable.

And yes you can draft a new RB......but what happens if he comes into the league fumbling, not good with pass protection, or can't do what he did in college? Interesting plight.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
.....reading this, I'm wondering if you're suggesting a RB shouldn't get paid beyond a rookie contract? Zeke obviously outperformed his rookie contract and not a word was said that he wasn't being paid enough. It's always that way, except for the QB position. At some point fans need to understand a players plight instead of the owner's power (release, cut, restructure/discount) or the fan's wishy/washy opinions on somebody else' money (forgetting what the negoiations were for....outperfoming prior contract & shelf life)

As for TPollard....another reason a RB tries to get his money......any moment, one hit can take you out. Now the first thing being heard across the table will be...."We have to see how your leg is coming along." Now TPollard money is questionable.

And yes you can draft a new RB......but what happens if he comes into the league fumbling, not good with pass protection, or can't do what he did in college? Interesting plight.
The position is devalued in this league, where any back rarely sees a 2nd contract, the ones who got them, have really fallen off or cannot stay healthy

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As a rule, what you draft with college RBs is pretty much what you see in college but you don't know until they DO IT. This is why I'm all for keeping Pollard one more year or signing a vet. Remember the name Joseph Randle ???

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They already have davis who is ok if they can get a decent LG and better run scheme. Draft a pollard type replacement. Then also grab a cheap vet for competotion and depth.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I could live with either running back at 26, Gibbs is similar to Kamara.
This board would throw a fit if the Cowboys drafted Gibbs at 26. Especially if we keep Zeke. I have a bad feeling he will be here next season.

quickccc

Reaction score

Pollard's injury is not an achilles tendon tear or ACL tear .. it was a fibula break, a hair line fracture ... in fact from what i've read the fibula can actually heal on itself .
The high ankle " sprain" was more of an issue for surgery because the tendon was more severe strain than the fibula

Sports medicine doctor explains Pollard's injury and recovery

quickccc

Reaction score
This board would throw a fit if the Cowboys drafted Gibbs at 26. Especially if we keep Zeke. I have a bad feeling he will be here next season.
yep .. same type of good ole boy favortisim that was DE Tyrone Crawford here for 9 million per year his last 2 seasons ....even though he was clearly done and spent up.