Snap Counts on defense are revealing

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
The problem we have is not having anyone better. Brown is currently the second best corner we have. Until that changes with one of the young guys developing, putting someone else in would be worse.

putting in someone other than Brown may well be worse but how much worse? If it's only a little and that player gets the opportunity to develop faster "in the fire" so to speak, then potentially within a few games they are at Brown's "best" level with only room to grow.

I was watching some of those plays behind the sofa when Brady aired it out. I stand by every Cowboys player but we've seen enough of Brown to know what he give us and it's a back up role...............ever other QB in the league will have been put on notice watching that game and he'll be picked on constantly.

Jarntt

Reaction score
A Cowboys fan knows more than the coaches? Hey I’m not a huge Mike McCarthy fan but these coaches have infinitely more knowledge and experience than we do. All I’m saying is it’s one game- let’s see if some patterns emerge before making wholesale changes. We’ve played one game.
I don't think you reading what I'm writing? Clearly what i wrote doesn't say a Cowboy fan knows more than the coaches, it says a Cowboy fan knows that the coaches don't always play the right guys. See Jaylon getting a few nickel snaps over Cox for example and that's just one example from this week

"Just because a coach plays a guy doesn’t mean it’s the right decision and no one should know that more than a Cowboy fan"

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think you reading what I'm writing? Clearly what i wrote doesn't say a Cowboy fan knows more than the coaches, it says a Cowboy fan knows that the coaches don't always play the right guys. See Jaylon getting a few nickel snaps over Cox for example and that's just one example from this week

"Just because a coach plays a guy doesn’t mean it’s the right decision and no one should know that more than a Cowboy fan"
I understand.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If you want to know who the coaches think are your best players and gives us the best chance to win- look at the snap counts after each game.

Let’s look at last night’s defensive snap counts and what they tell us about improving this D:
SNAP COUNT NUMBERS
  • Defensive line-
    • DeMarcus Lawrence- 43 snaps- (66% of all def plays)
    • Randy Gregory- 37 snaps (57%)
    • Osa Odighuizua- 36 snaps (55%)
    • Carlos Watkins- 30 snaps (46%)
    • Brent Urban- 28 snaps (43%)
    • Dorance Armstrong- 27 snaps (42%)
    • Terrell Basham- 24snaps (37%)
    • Quinton Bohannon- 20 snaps (31%)
    • Bradley Anae-10 snaps (15%)
  • Linebackers
    • Micah Parsons- 51 snaps (78%)
    • Keanu Neal- 50 snaps (77%)
    • Jaylon Smith- 16 snaps (25%)
    • LVE- 14 snaps (22%)
    • Jabril Cox- 1 snap (1%)
  • Secondary
    • Trevon Diggs- 65 snaps (100%)
    • Anthony Brown- 65 snaps (100%)
    • Donovan Wilson- 55 snaps (85%)
    • D Kazee -52 snaps (80%)
    • Jourdan Lewis - 49 snaps (75%)
    • Javon Kearse - 40 snaps (62%)
    • M Canady - 2 snaps (3%)
So….what does this tell us?
1. The Cowboys feel better about having Parsons and Neal on the field than LVE and Jaylon.
2. The DL rotations are certainly in flux.
3. For all the ps hype about Nashon Wright and Jabril Cox, they played a grand total of 1 snap between them. That may change as the year progresses.​

sure it will change and DL is typically the most subbed out position in football..

im curious a lot of posters in here believes canady is better then brown, you think th coaches are blind, stupide, and ignorant..are they clueless why with brown struggling Canday / wright get more snaps?

you saying the coaches dont care they just like brown a person they would sacrifice game to not play better players?
just curious because posters think they know more then coaches..

somehow brown never left the field..could it be some Safety and Lb help never came and assignments blown or the fact that the bucs are 5 deeps in starting recievers much like us and can not be covered 1 on 1? yet you cant get help for everyone and simply had to take our lumps as the bucs did.we destroyed their DBs as much as they did some of ours, that fact look up the passing numbers.

They had as little answers for our Receiving core as we did for theirs..you think their fans want all their coaches fired and players replaced ...??

mostly rhetorical but you can give it a shot :)

good thing we don't ply tb all 17 ganmes..it will get better..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think he was on the Buc's payroll last night, lol

so on the other side who was stopping our wrs? if Gallup doesn't get hurt we would have 3 100 yard wrs in this game against that defense..

odd did Anthony brown also play for the bucs because they werent stopping chit bro..sometimes you are just outmatched with team with 3 great wrs and good tes who do you double> you cant double everyone yet 1-1 those wrs can beat ANYONE, ALL DAY..

is that just lost on fans they look at it for a myopic view , the big picture is lost on them,?

they and no answer for the bucs Receiving core and they had no answer for ours..sometime you take your lumps and chances and let player just do the best they can, pick your poison..

MiddleStar

Reaction score
Can someone tell me where Donovan Wilson is? No stats for the game and the only reason I know he played was because he was the blitzer on the Gronk TD against Lawrence. I never heard his name mentioned during pre-season either. How are they using him?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont care what Armstrong did in PS, dudes a scrub. If he is playing 40+ % of the snaps, thats 40+% of snaps we arent getting pressure from that side. Basham isnt much if any better. I really wish we got a legitimate #3 DE in the offseason. We only play starters 60-70 percent of snaps
Armstrong plays run downs. Quinn wants DL to keep blockers off the LBs.

When Armstrong played pass downs it was at times with Gregory and DLaw on the field also.

McCarty had a similar player in GB. His name eludes me at the moment. He was a dirty work player that played 3-4 OLB, 3-4 DE and 4--man DE.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can someone tell me where Donovan Wilson is? No stats for the game and the only reason I know he played was because he was the blitzer on the Gronk TD against Lawrence. I never heard his name mentioned during pre-season either. How are they using him?
It’s in the OP. He played 55 snaps.

BigDPlayer

Reaction score
If you want to know who the coaches think are your best players and gives us the best chance to win- look at the snap counts after each game.

Let’s look at last night’s defensive snap counts and what they tell us about improving this D:
SNAP COUNT NUMBERS
  • Defensive line-
    • DeMarcus Lawrence- 43 snaps- (66% of all def plays)
    • Randy Gregory- 37 snaps (57%)
    • Osa Odighuizua- 36 snaps (55%)
    • Carlos Watkins- 30 snaps (46%)
    • Brent Urban- 28 snaps (43%)
    • Dorance Armstrong- 27 snaps (42%)
    • Terrell Basham- 24snaps (37%)
    • Quinton Bohannon- 20 snaps (31%)
  • Linebackers
    • Micah Parsons- 51 snaps (78%)
    • Keanu Neal- 50 snaps (77%)
    • Jaylon Smith- 16 snaps (25%)
    • LVE- 14 snaps (22%)
    • Jabril Cox- 1 snap (1%)
  • Secondary
    • Donovan Wilson- 55 snaps (85%)
    • D Kazee -52 snaps (80%)
    • Javon Kearse - 40 snaps (62%)
1. The Cowboys feel better about having Parsons and Neal on the field than LVE and Jaylon.
2. The DL rotations are certainly in flux.
3. For all the ps hype about Nashon Wright and Jabril Cox, they played a grand total of 1 snap between them. That may change as the year progresses.​
Interesting, but also slightly misleading. This was a pass heavy game and doesn't that mean our nickel package is used more? If that is so, that would likely explain the variation in snap count. If it is run heavy team, we go to our base which would likely involve Jaylon and LVE more, no?

visionary

Reaction score
Agreed. It amazes me that our 2016 second round LB and our 2018 first round LB played about 25% of last night’s game. If we want to know why our defense has to be rebuilt there’s a start.

that’s the second issue

the first is lack of a dominant DT

jnday

Reaction score
The great Tampa Dline looked a hot mess. Didn’t look much better than our group.
Tampa Bay played a sloppy game on both sides of the ball. The turnovers and poor defensive play looked more like the last preseason game instead of the first regular season game.

jnday

Reaction score
I'm still willing to give him a little of the season to get back in the swing of things. Bucs are a tough opponent to start out with. Brady and company abused pretty much everybody on our defense.
It is too early to form an opinion on his play, but he is not having a good start to the season. I hope he can return to the level of play that he showed during his rookie season. I would think that we should know more by mid-season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Maybe the mods can merge these two defensive snap count threads?

ArtClink

Reaction score
I re-watched the game today and Parsons had a really good game with several pass breakups and tackles for little or no gain. The Bucs must have thought so too, on one passing play he was triple teamed.

Parsons looks like an incredible draft pick and quite a disruptive force to opposing offensives! I just hope Parsons will play hard after he gets his fat second contract.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
  • Secondary

Also Canady. He was hyped a lot in preseason. I thought some of the hype was deserved, but apparently the coaches disagree.

I'd be playing Canady more, and taking the snaps out of Brown, especially while we're not playing Wright or Joseph anyway.

Robster8989

Reaction score
so on the other side who was stopping our wrs? if Gallup doesn't get hurt we would have 3 100 yard wrs in this game against that defense..

odd did Anthony brown also play for the bucs because they werent stopping chit bro..sometimes you are just outmatched with team with 3 great wrs and good tes who do you double> you cant double everyone yet 1-1 those wrs can beat ANYONE, ALL DAY..

is that just lost on fans they look at it for a myopic view , the big picture is lost on them,?

they and no answer for the bucs Receiving core and they had no answer for ours..sometime you take your lumps and chances and let player just do the best they can, pick your poison..

Not sure you understand analytics much, and you call others myopic, bro?
First off we are talking about our CB's, not the Bucs.
But since you brought it up the Bucs Corners were not that bad.
Not all yards gained by wideouts are against CBs.
Here is what PFF had to say about them:

In spite of all the yardage surrendered to the Cowboys’ receiving corps, the Buccaneers' defensive backfield performed respectably overall. Carlton Davis looks ready to ascend from plus-starter to someone who can reliably take away slot receivers. While he was targeted 10 times, Davis only allowed four receptions and 43 yards while producing three forced incompletions, an interception and a 13.8 passer rating allowed.
And they lost their #1 corner in the first Q.

This is how PFF graded Brown:

Cornerback Anthony Brown most likely wants to burn this game tape, as he allowed eight receptions on nine targets for north of 100 yards, a touchdown and a 155.8 passer rating.

Anthony Brown vs. The rest of the Cowboys' defensive backs

Player Times Targeted Completion % Yards Allowed Explosive Passes Allowed
Anthony Brown 9 89% 117 3
Other Cowboys DBs 18 44% 100 3

So our AB was targeted 9 times, gave up 8 receptions, over 100 yards, a TD and a 155.8 passer rating.
The rest of our DBs gave up a combined 44% completion %. Brown was 89%.
That's almost as bad as a corner can be. It was frankly a pathetic performance. I blame the coaches too for thinking they could throw him out there on an island like they did. He was bad in preseason, did they think he would miraculously improve once the season started?
None of the Bucs DBs were even close to that, and thankfully, neither were any of our other DBs.
Brown's call to fame is supposed to be his speed, but on that AB TD, the old man went by him like he was standing still.
It's foolish for the Cowboys to believe he is a starting caliber NFL outside corner. He never has been and he never will be.
He was one of the lowest rated corners in the league last year as well.
He is also the 8th highest paid player on our team by cap space this season. Let that sink in.
I'd rather let Canady have a shot, or bring in a vet like Sherman for what we are paying Brown.
And I don't dislike the guy, he's a good story. 6th round pick who worked his tail off and made an NFL roster.
I blame management and the coaches for overpaying him and thinking just because he makes that money he is a starter. He most certainly is not. Not by analytics.